The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

41 minutes ago, rob88h said:

I’m by no means a diesel mechanic 😂 but I had a similar priming problem with the S123 when I changed the fuel filters. What worked in the end was a mega amount of cranking - I drained the battery..., then ran it off a jump from another running car. Eventually I was graced with that beautiful acrid diesel smoke. 
Let me know if you want a hand in person, but my help usually only extends as far as turning a key, scratching my head and then leaving having probably made things worse. 

Funnily that is just the problem - I've got it to catch a couple of times, but stretching between the key and the bonnet you don't have time to operate the accelerator before it cuts out. I got it to catch using Wd40 into the manifold, but my arms only stretch so far. And now I've flattened the battery 😂

Went round with the bumper gel and did a cursory tidy of the wheel trim edges (poundland silver, what else?).  Doesn't really show. 

IMG_20200921_170152.thumb.jpg.a84e64270e218b560610e094f7150642.jpg

IMG_20200921_170145.thumb.jpg.eb18bae4bab7b6d78bd4bec80fc1ea86.jpg

I can safely say I don't have any affinity to this car, I'll use it for a while as efficient transportation then probably sell it on for the same price I bought it for. 

9 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

The 4 pot 1.2 16v engine is way better than the 3 cyl 1.0, by a country mile. 

Nothing happening with the Fenlander, I have two insurance policies, so it just means I've got a shitter to run around in (I'm doing 70 miles per day at the moment) while I give it some attention. 

I need to figure out how to get the stupid thing started first of all.

It's hard work being out on a limb here, with nobody to call on, even for moral support. I know it's my own doing, as I push everyone away, but I feel so alone when it comes to cars. 

I might try to find a half decent mobile diesel mechanic to come round and help. 

Give me a shout if you're stuck. I'm no expert but sometimes just having someone to bounce ideas off helps

47 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Went round with the bumper gel and did a cursory tidy of the wheel trim edges (poundland silver, what else?).  Doesn't really show. 

IMG_20200921_170152.thumb.jpg.a84e64270e218b560610e094f7150642.jpg

IMG_20200921_170145.thumb.jpg.eb18bae4bab7b6d78bd4bec80fc1ea86.jpg

I can safely say I don't have any affinity to this car, I'll use it for a while as efficient transportation then probably sell it on for the same price I bought it for. 

It's a good stopgap is anything. You've made it look quite good too!

54 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

You know when you get a new job and there's a secretary that you don't really pay much notice to, or try and upskirt  say hello to on the stairs? Then before you know it, you're all like 'yeah, actually she's quite a bit MILF' and a couple of weeks later you're openly flirting and enjoying every minute of her company.  That secretary is your Corsa.

I'm confused. There's a horrible shaking from the front of the Corsa at certain speeds, like a duff ball joint or something. It's occasional though, depending on road surface or in fact how quickly I accelerated. 

I've had the car up on the jack and I can't detect any movement. Could it be as simple as needing the wheels balanced? 

I've just had a thought while typing this, that I only jacked up each side individually, perhaps if I get both wheels off the ground it will become more apparent. Possibly steering related?

59 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

You know when you get a new job and there's a secretary that you don't really pay much notice to, or try and upskirt  say hello to on the stairs? Then before you know it, you're all like 'yeah, actually she's quite a bit MILF' and a couple of weeks later you're openly flirting and enjoying every minute of her company.  That secretary is your Corsa.

That's actually how it went with my Saab. I wasn't sure about it at first, now every time I drive it I grin.

See that's what I thought was the missfire - it felt to me like it was sometimes dropping down to 3 cylinders at higher speeds.  The fact that it is most noticeable when accelerating hard made me think that's what it was.  If it was a wheel out of balance or whatever it'd be doing it every time you went over 60, whereas the Corsa seems to do it randomly.

27 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

See that's what I thought was the missfire - it felt to me like it was sometimes dropping down to 3 cylinders at higher speeds.  The fact that it is most noticeable when accelerating hard made me think that's what it was.  If it was a wheel out of balance or whatever it'd be doing it every time you went over 60, whereas the Corsa seems to do it randomly.

Yeah, it's definitely not a misfire, but I think it's a combination of a couple of things, perhaps a steering bush as well as unbalanced wheels maybe. 

Could be I suppose - although in my (admittedly limited) experience a worn bush / balljoint in the steering gear would make the steering wheel shake more than it does.  Same with a strut top mount - when the one on the V70 wore out it felt like it was going to rip the wheel out of my hands.  Plus the suspension would be a lot noisier than it is if that was the problem.

Might be worth getting the wheels balanced to see if that does help though.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - All Rovers are s***
  • DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - It's alive!

Just to report, drove the Fenlander to Chelmsford and back yesterday afternoon and it was fine, apart from the occasional slight cough it has always had, you know, the one I was trying to eliminate by replacing the fuel lines and filter in the first place? 😂

Oh well, it's not causing any issues, I'll just ignore it.