The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

28 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

So funny. 🙄

I'm just going to clean and sort a few bits, heat gun the bumpers, etc. 

Clutch may be a priority soon, its VERY high

Don’t be so precious, man! People are only having a laugh.

Linseed oil is a far superior way to black plastics, IME. It lasts forever, too. I had a louvre that was almost white and it came up deep black and never faded again.

4 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Just made it home. Kept the heater on all the way through Croydon, just in case - Because K Series. 

It's a bit of a shit tip inside, will require many hours of cleaning / fumigating. 

Some nice retro touches, pictures to follow... 

I don't think the 1.1 litre engines suffer as badly as the others. Can't remember where I read that. I've been known to be wrong before.

Just now, sgtberbatov said:

I don't think the 1.1 litre engines suffer as badly as the others. Can't remember where I read that. I've been known to be wrong before.

Possibly because the gasket will be nice and chunky between the cylinders? Are the basic blocks the same size between them and just different bore sizes?

Christ Alive.

More holey than a Christian pilgrimage to Holy Island at Christmas with Cliff Richard and the Baby Jesus. 

Had. J plate in red. 1.1s. I upgraded* it with some nearly matching soft headrests from, I think, a Maestro. I managed three months in it and sold it in disgust. Bought a Volvo 360 GLT and never looked back.

To me, if it isn’t a Mk1 Metro it’s a Rover 100. Those weird unbranded ones nearly count as Metros but not quite. Up to about 1987 I’m fine - after that it’s not a proper one according to knobhead here. 

Enjoy it. If that, indeed, is possible. It looks fucking terrible - and not even in an endearing way!  

The 1.1s aren't immune to OMGHGF, they're just more tolerant of abuse.  The 1.4s will put up with a decent amount of neglect before popping but once you get bigger than that you really do have to look after your car properly and not be the sort of person that thinks oil and water don't need changing unless the MoT says so.

As a minimum, stick some red gaffer over those roof holes to keep the interior a bit drier and you should be good for a while with this one.  Ideal WBoD candidate really.  I do wish the seating position in these wasn't cranked over like it is, I quite like Metros otherwise.

12 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Christ Alive.

More holey than a Christian pilgrimage to Holy Island at Christmas with Cliff Richard and the Baby Jesus. 

Had. J plate in red. 1.1s. I upgraded* it with some nearly matching soft headrests from, I think, a Maestro. I managed three months in it and sold it in disgust. Bought a Volvo 360 GLT and never looked back.

To me, if it isn’t a Mk1 Metro it’s a Rover 100. Those weird unbranded ones nearly count as Metros but not quite. Up to about 1987 I’m fine - after that it’s not a proper one according to knobhead here. 

Enjoy it. If that, indeed, is possible. It looks fucking terrible - and not even in an endearing way!  

And I thought I was a miserable bugger.. 😂

It is an endearing little thing, like a puppy with a wonky leg. It's never going to win any contests, but it's a loyal and fun thing. And I'll love it and care for it until I eventually have to put it down due to complications. 

And it's not that holey, just a couple of bits need doing, not the end of the world. 

It's a Metro thing.  They suffer from a lack of rust protection and odd condensation related rot and go from the inside out around the hinges.  Leading edge of the bonnet is another common place for similar weird rot, as is half way along the sill in the door hole on the 2 doors.  You don't see it that often now because the ones that suffer from it are either fixed or dead.

12 hours ago, doubleyeller said:

Have you seen the crash test videos for these? Absolute death traps!! I mean, the hole in the roof doesn't matter on a car which has no structural strength whatsoever anyway! 

Who cares? I had a 1275 Minimetro a few years back, and ragged the fuck out of it in the knowledge that any crash over 15mph would kill me. 

I've had a look at the sills and the original jacking points are still intact, so that must count for something. I think it's just another neglected 'old person' car that just needs a bit of care. 

I'm going to nickname it 'Scrappy Doo', as it's like a little puppy and it's a smaller version of the R8. I guess that means the Fenlander is 'Scooby Doo' 🤣