The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

Funny story - when I got the 15" wheels for the Tourer, I sold the 14"s for a fiver on Facebook. The bloke wanted them to weigh in a car on. 

I now have the Fenlander and it needs 4 tyres, so I searched for some wheels and tyres. Found a set for free on Facebook. 

Turns out it is the exact same set of wheels and the same bloke. It was a Focus he was scrapping and of course the wheels didn't fit. 

So he paid me a fiver and stored my wheels for 2 months. ?

Started putting the fan switch together, as some parts have arrived. Still waiting for a relay and some wire. 

(I'm going to add a battery cutoff at some point) 

IMG_20200630_155605.thumb.jpg.c0875e765dd3092cf65dd5b6f4a1d2e2.jpg

Quick question. What is the third symbol for? I get the live and earth. Is it a secondary live for the LED? 

IMG_20200630_151027.thumb.jpg.518bb2c20186c6f01d2d38a5fde091e3.jpg

Been out this evening in the 218, and there's an odd feeling, like hesitation when sitting at 50ish, difficult to describe. If I had to guess, I'd say fuelling related, and I'd look to changing the filter. But are there any other things to look for on a diesel? I must admit to them being a bit like witchcraft to me, I understand carburettors and ignition systems. 

It's fine at higher / lower speeds, just mid range gentle acceleration. 

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Started putting the fan switch together, as some parts have arrived. Still waiting for a relay and some wire. 

(I'm going to add a battery cutoff at some point) 

IMG_20200630_155605.thumb.jpg.c0875e765dd3092cf65dd5b6f4a1d2e2.jpg

Quick question. What is the third symbol for? I get the live and earth. Is it a secondary live for the LED? 

IMG_20200630_151027.thumb.jpg.518bb2c20186c6f01d2d38a5fde091e3.jpg

The Kenwood is looking good! 

3 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Been out this evening in the 218, and there's an odd feeling, like hesitation when sitting at 50ish, difficult to describe. If I had to guess, I'd say fuelling related, and I'd look to changing the filter. But are there any other things to look for on a diesel? I must admit to them being a bit like witchcraft to me, I understand carburettors and ignition systems. 

It's fine at higher / lower speeds, just mid range gentle acceleration. 

Do diesels suffer from having vacuum leaks? I'm fairly sure that's a thing in diesel land?

FYI to anyone who knows me outside of Autoshite, I've removed Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram from my phone and won't be using those apps for the foreseeable future. 

I doubt that one less user will have an affect on Mr Zuckerberg's billions, but hey, at least I feel like I'm doing something. 

2 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Do diesels suffer from having vacuum leaks? I'm fairly sure that's a thing in diesel land?

Historically not really...the inlet manifold is usually just open to atmosphere and the engine just pulls in as much air as it needs.  Image below showing what you see if you take the air intake hose from the air filter off on my van - straight into the inlet manifold.

IMG_20190711_184242.thumb.jpg.121577c2844f052ae3ad1f39b78de969.jpg

Obviously on a turbo diesel there will be a turbo upstream of this point in the circuit.

As for more modern stuff though...all bets are off!  I've no idea with how much complexity comes with a diesel engine these days if that's still the case.  Vacuum is often used to operate things though, albeit from a (usually camshaft driven) pump.

The sort of issue described here though sounds more like a fuelling issue.  Possibly air ingress, or thinking about it given the mileage on this engine, it could even just be a bit of slop in the governor making the engine rpm tend to hunt a little.

17 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Dare I ask why?

Hard to sum up, but here goes:

I don't like the invasion of privacy, the lack of morals and just the waste of time reading shit that has no benefit, and if anything it is not conducive to good health. At least for me. 

It's just one part of an overall change I need to make to my whole lifestyle. 

Switched a few wheels around today, the tyres on the 218 are totally fucked, not tread-wise, just perished and kerbed so much it's hard to see the make of the tyres. 

Look! 

IMG_20200701_164456.thumb.jpg.7d015409392e3355d3e73ccde50befaf.jpg

Spare was grubby but unused. The jack and wheel brace were still in the plastic wrapping!

IMG_20200701_164500.thumb.jpg.de50af3135d08d467c2cc9dcd0ce84bf.jpg

IMG_20200701_164505.thumb.jpg.eedfcd5b59e9f638a6a8ef1117731a52.jpg

IMG_20200701_170701.thumb.jpg.a4049695d2d9a0c0cd2d0a9d2d3a8011.jpg

Now I know that someone will pop up and remind me that the spare is probably 26 years old and not that great, but for now, it's a damn sight better than the Swiss cheese that was on there! ?

Ignorance is bliss and all that. While I was happily humming down the M11 at 65mph In M AAV my mind did wander as to what the tyres might be like... Then I did some mental disaster planning and reminded myself of the three separate flats i’ve had on motorways over the years and what they felt like. Luckily for me your Swiss cheese held it together ?

If anyone would like the Fenlander, all you'd need to do would be to purchase this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114276106920

And meet me somewhere between Birmingham and Essex. 

I'd love the little Suzuki, but after I had a huge anxiety attack while wearing a mask for the first time the other day (had to give a lift to someone), I think I'll give public transport a wide berth for a while. This is also the reason I'm staying clear of roffles for a while too. I've been lucky with the last few cars which I've managed to get deliveries. 

33 minutes ago, neil1971 said:

i thought maybe the MoT until 2015 bit was a typo given the iffy spelling in the rest of the ad and the fact that it's mentioned almost as a selling point, but it is indeed nearly 5 years since the test expired.

Great selection of tat amongst seller's other cars

Oh crap, didn't see that

6 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

If anyone would like the Fenlander, all you'd need to do would be to purchase this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114276106920

And meet me somewhere between Birmingham and Essex. 

I'd love the little Suzuki, but after I had a huge anxiety attack while wearing a mask for the first time the other day (had to give a lift to someone), I think I'll give public transport a wide berth for a while. This is also the reason I'm staying clear of roffles for a while too. I've been lucky with the last few cars which I've managed to get deliveries. 

I looked at the photos, cleaned my glasses, then looked at the photos again and realised it wasn't my glasses ?

Got a bit of a decision looming, but one that is made easier by having two working* cars. 

The Tourer needs the cooling system looking at, hopefully a system flush, a new thermostat and a fan switch will sort it, but you never know. 

The Fenlander needs an MOT in August, and I have a feeling it will need suspension bushes, and I definitely need to do an oil change and look at what is causing a creaking noise just before coming to rest when braking from speed. 

I'm thinking of going away somewhere for a couple of days soon (maybe Newcastle), so need a reliable, long distance capable car. 

Do I? (rhetorical-ish question of course, I will ignore all advice given ?

1. Try to get both sorted, because I love R8s. Maybe end up with neither perfect. 

2. Sell the Fenlander cheap. Buy something small, Asian and reliable as a daily. Problem with this is 'The best car is the one you already have' 

3. Concentrate all my efforts on the Fenlander, get it through an MOT as a 34k XUD is a better bet than a 210k one? ?

4. Concentrate all my efforts on the Tourer, as a 210k XUD is a better bet than a 34k one? ?

If I manage to sort the Tourer easily, I will be selling the Fenlander anyway, but with a full MOT, and for about 600 quid. 

33 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Sell the Fenlander cheap and that black thing. Buy something small, Asian and reliable as a daily......save money go on holidays and out for meals

Sorted. What I have been saying for past 2 or 3 years ????