The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

3 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

Fucking insurance swindlers. Insurance renewal for the Swift due 8th Jan.

Renewal price - £338.

Go Compare best price - £280

Confused best price - £233

Why is it funny? All 3 prices are from my current insurer, First Central. 🤷🤦

Will get on the phone tomorrow.

Yep, had that many a time. Shows how they treat "loyal" customers. I check everything, (house(s), cars, motorhome etc). PITA, but more money in my pocket than them.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:12 PM, DoctorRetro said:

Decided against fully refurbing the alloys, as two of them are badly corroded (there are 3 spares, but CBA to get them swapped), so just cleaned them up a bit and put some silver on, looks loads better IMHO.

IMG20211226140457.jpg

IMG20211226140508.jpg

IMG20211226140546.jpg

How about replacing the yellow strip with silver all around the car?

On 12/23/2021 at 1:55 PM, DoctorRetro said:

Have no idea where to begin under here 🤦

IMG20211223133026.thumb.jpg.652f74ab992d9caa5cb105bb6860a6d3.jpg

IMG20211223133032.thumb.jpg.4c9f7fa734ea48a9b51fb0c26914bb8b.jpg

Peugeot looks marginally better without wheel trims tbh, pity the steels don't match 😬

IMG20211223133728.thumb.jpg.dcbb8e412dd01bf108678879040d64fc.jpg

IMG20211223133737.thumb.jpg.59a2198ec3bacbd39537613a4b131cd9.jpg

I will get round to doing the alloys at some point, but it's too miserable outside.

Did manage to fix the loose connection on the Suzuki indicator though, so I guess that's something.

Those corner bricks are aggravating my OCD 😆

48 minutes ago, yes oui si said:

205 has rear pop outs

It has an interesting manual slide sunroof too.

39 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

How about replacing the yellow strip with silver all around the car?

Not mine to do, although I'd probably say a red stripe would be better.

6 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

It has an interesting manual slide sunroof too.

Not mine to do, although I'd probably say a red stripe would be better.

Vacuum operated and only works with the ignition on, thought it was broken when i first got it and couldnt open it with the engine off!

SUZUKI SWIFT 2002

This vehicle has 6 recalls.

Recall number R/2011/033

Recall date 05-05-2011

Recall type Safety recall

Reason for recall

It is possible that the standard 15 inch steel wheel may have been replaced with 16 or 17 inch alloy wheels by dealers. This can result if driven on full lock and up or down high objects in the tyre contacting the inside of the inner wheel arch/housing.

How to check if the vehicle is recalled

Contact the local SUZUKI dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.

How the manufacturer will repair

Recall all potentially affected vehicles to have the steering rack replaced with a rack that is used with 16/17 inch alloy wheels as standard.

Number of affected vehicles

Recall number R/2009/087

Recall date 26-10-2009

Reason for recall

It has been identified that due to corrosion build up it is possible that the rear seatbelt anchorages may become structurally weak and may fail under heavy braking.

Contact the local SUZUKI dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.

Recalled vehicles will have the rear luggage compartment inspected for corrosion. In all cases the carpet will be changed and the area cleaned. In cases where corrosion is found the area will be cleaned and treated as necessary.

Recall number R/2008/178

Recall date 12-01-2009

Reason for recall

It has been identified that due to a build up of corrosion on the boot light terminals a short circuit may possibly occur. This can result in melting of the terminals which may result in a fire.

Recalled vehicles will have the boot light and side quarter trims replaced. Additionally the wiring harness to the boot light will be repaired as necessary.

Recall number R/2007/086

Recall date 10-09-2007

Reason for recall

It is possible that the parking brake cable end could detach from the trailing brake shoe lever rendering the parking brake ineffective.

Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected to refit or replace the cables.

Recall number R/2010/160

Recall date 10-01-2011

Reason for recall

Corrosion of the front suspension struts may cause the steering knuckle to become detached from the front suspension strut leading to loss of directional control.

Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected to check and where necessary replace the front suspension struts.

Recall number R/2008/099

Recall date 15-09-2008

Reason for recall

It has been identified that due to an incorrect routing of the passenger side airbag wiring harness the potential exists that the passenger side airbag might deploy when the ignition is switched on.

Recalled vehicles will have the wiring harness re-routed and fitted with a harness protector.

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Sounds like a good way to get some free welding done...

...or, given DoctorRetro's recently acquired welding skills perhaps a conversation like this...

Suzuki dealer: "I'm afraid your car needs much welding sir, and as a main dealer we haven't done welding for at least 20 years.  We'll need to find someone to sub-contract it out to"

DoctorRetro (with glint in eye): "I know someone who could do it for a very reasonable price if that helps you at all"

IMG20220103122428.thumb.jpg.236bc0f8f041593b24ce45ec77a30f4a.jpgHad a look at the Suzuki exhaust, but sadly it's going to need a garage - can't risk breaking the other bolt off, and I couldn't get a socket to grip it properly anyway.

IMG20220103114958.thumb.jpg.14d479b51fb1d5f12922fbe6fe218b8f.jpg

A couple of bodges to get round some of the day to day issues:

An extra heater to supplement the meagre warming you get in the cabin 

IMG20220103122345.thumb.jpg.224224180b2c661df654d005da264753.jpg

And my favourite - this is to pull the window back in line when you close it, because otherwise it leaves a gap and water gets in.

IMG20220103122348.thumb.jpg.8c1b80bb5da58b3775318e4d58c89072.jpg

A cheappo screwdriver/poondies >> heat and melt into the 'broken missing' flap spigot might help redirect HOT air.

My 2dr also had issues with the rising glass [driver's door] missing the slot... Actually being outside the doorskin frame.

Sporting selection of 'recalls' there 😱.....

The recall is apparently for front suspension strut corrosion - it's an inspection only, and if it is deemed to be faulty, they will replace 

Typically the technician I need is off sick, so either have to wait or go to another Suzuki dealer. 

Presumably this one:

Reason for recall

Corrosion of the front suspension struts may cause the steering knuckle to become detached from the front suspension strut leading to loss of directional control.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:48 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:

Reason for recall

It has been identified that due to an incorrect routing of the passenger side airbag wiring harness the potential exists that the passenger side airbag might deploy when the ignition is switched on.

So calmingly written for something that'd give you an absolute heart attack. I'm imagining you grimace and brace every time you start it up now? 

42 minutes ago, rob88h said:

So calmingly written for something that'd give you an absolute heart attack. I'm imagining you grimace and brace every time you start it up now? 

I doubt it - the car doesn't even have a driver's airbag, let alone a passenger one. 😂

On 12/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, DoctorRetro said:

IMG20211218124424.thumb.jpg.a0722a652e86c71ae10ff556ea1f1a5d.jpg

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I doubt it - the car doesn't even have a driver's airbag, let alone a passenger one. 😂

Oops, I thought that Mr. Tidybeard had posted recalls on this reg specifically… I see what you mean though, definitely no airbags here! It’s looking pretty standard in there as far as I can tell 😝

I’m guessing later or higher spec models took a passenger airbag in the crum-tray come dual cup holder? (I had to be careful typing that)

@DoctorRetro, what’s this thing like compared to the Baleno?

32 minutes ago, rob88h said:

I’m guessing later or higher spec models took a passenger airbag in the crum-tray come dual cup holder? (I had to be careful typing that)

@DoctorRetro, what’s this thing like compared to the Baleno?

The cup holders are my own addition by the way, not standard. 😁

It's a lot more tinny than the Baleno, and the 3cyl 1.0 is a lot less refined. Handles a lot better. 

• 5 weeks later...