The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

8 minutes ago, vaughant said:

Oh god the old originality "experts". 

I was one selling a 924 for a grand with 10 months mot. Overall it wasn't a bad car, certainly scrubbed up well for a car that was probably 24 years old then. 

Had a few timewasters/chancers (this was back in the free ad days) but one guy phoned up and seemed really interested, well spoken, claimed to be a porsche mechanic and so on. 

After an hours worth of grilling over the phone, he asked me what sunroof it had. It looked like a britax conversion thing to me but it didn't leak and worked fine.... He starts to wobble a bit......,shit I'm losing the catch here. I play my trump card quick "listen mate you sound like an enthusiast and I would love to see it go to a good home. I'd let you have it as is for £850 cash, near enough half the price for any other one in the free ads for sale,what do you say?". 

He replies " OK, have you got the bag the glass from the sunroof goes in? "

" I don't mate sorry, but I reckon I've got every receipt for any work it's had done over 24 years!!!". 

" hmm  I think I'll pass it you haven't got that cover, cheers ". 

FFS. 

Just to wind him up I’d tell him some young blokes are coming to look at it for banger racing. That’ll ruin his day

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Just to wind him up I’d tell him some young blokes are coming to look at it for banger racing. That’ll ruin his day

Brilliant!!! 

I wish I had banger done that, it was a hateful thing as well but at least I had the porsche experience*. 

The turbo would have been a hoot though, oversteer on every bend. 

Well, the Polo is going tonight, and I'm rationalising that I can probably keep the other two. 

I was probably being a bit dramatic - after all, the court costs are £215, I could cut out takeaways and shop at Lidl for a bit and cope with that to be fair.

But I needed to thin down anyway, 3 cars, 2 of which had the old higher tax rate, while great, was always going to be impractical. 

If the Carina hadn't popped up, things would have been very different.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Polo departure.

And that's the Polo gone this evening.

Not sure what the next chapter of things holds, but hopefully I come out of the other end unscathed.

Carina has a small flat spot that irritates me, not sure if fuel or ignition related...

Metro is a bit rattly/creaky at the rear, possibly bushing related.

So I have things to keep me busy.

Motherfuckers at First Central insurance want to charge quite a lot to cancel the policy.  Probably due to the amount of changes I've made.

Going to have to do some maths and see if it's worth covering a shitter for the remainder of the policy just to avoid the fees. Because sods law says I'll need a fresh policy for something else in a few months...

1 hour ago, DoctorRetro said:

It's not bad, is it? I would have kept it were it not for the Toyota popping up and confusing things!

Yes I had a sit in, it's a lovely and tastefully* 90s compact estate. The new owner was surprised at its performance on the motorway too. 

And it's simple, no turbo and hot side actuators to get treacled.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Taking the lead
20 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I honestly thought you’d painted the badges in radioactive snot colour! The I saw the final result.

They look crackin’!

I too thought he’d gone for the “Christmas” theme. 

looking good there. Are you able to keep it now? 

7 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I too thought he’d gone for the “Christmas” theme. 

looking good there. Are you able to keep it now? 

Yeah, I've got enough in reserve to cover any upcoming costs (MIAM, court etc), and enough disposable to cover any unexpected expenses, so it makes sense to keep the reliable Japanese car.

Not that the Metro isn't reliable, but I sense there may be a few jobs coming up soon...

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Let it shine