The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

Had my first run out yesterday, up to Chelmsford (essential journey, before any COVID police start judging). The smokiness on startup seems to be dissipating with use, I will stick some diesel cleaner through too, as I accidentally bought some a couple of months ago when it was on offer in Lidl. 

It's very agricultural sounding, but once on the go, it's comfortable and quiet, and pulls well. Of course, it feels like it has done 208,000 miles, but that just adds to the charm. 

I'm not including any pictures, as I know that most people on here are a bit sensitive to modifying cars, especially when it makes them look worse ?

But let's just say, I'm ready for the upcoming bleak future! Just need to figure out a way to run on biodiesel. These have a Lucas pump, I think. 

This is exactly the sort of car where modding it can't do any harm.  I mean, it's a 208k diesel R8 that's been beaten every day of its life, a bit of matt black paint is hardly going to kill any investment potential.

If it's happy to run on veg that might help reduce the smoke, just remember to change the filters twice as often as recommended and you should be good.  Or just run it on diesel to save yourself the faff, I'd be surprised if it was bad enough on fuel to warrant going the veg route really, you should be getting 40-60mpg out of this I'd expect, depending on what sort of driving you're doing.

It's OK on fuel, not that I'm getting much need to drive it at the moment. It's definitely lowering the tone of the neighbourhood. 

IMG_20200324_165949.thumb.jpg.c221aed4d8f1a842fcdcfec4990ed0d9.jpg

Got a new number plate on order, front one is like a jigsaw puzzle! Bonnet is fucked under the grille, but I guess that just adds to the 'look'. Wire mesh on the lights came from the bumper below. I'm trying to utilise scrap / waste to do things, so will be on the look out for some more mesh for the windows. 

If anyone decides to try to preach about declared mods to insurance etc, they can fuck off. I'll do what I want. 

May be worth trying to cover up any jagged/ sharp edges on the front of the bonnet. As a car that is likely to stand out (unless covid takes us to a Mad max type scenario) and possibly trigger a stop by Police/ Vosa you could fall foul of 'dangerous condition' type rules.

...... I must say I have always quite liked the old Rovers but have to ask, why no Saabs in your car history?

3 hours ago, Wgl2019 said:

May be worth trying to cover up any jagged/ sharp edges on the front of the bonnet. As a car that is likely to stand out (unless covid takes us to a Mad max type scenario) and possibly trigger a stop by Police/ Vosa you could fall foul of 'dangerous condition' type rules.

...... I must say I have always quite liked the old Rovers but have to ask, why no Saabs in your car history?

Yes that jagged bonnet edge is a Vosa/Plod pull all day long even in Essex.

A bullbar would look right at home on this.  You've definitely made the thing look worse, just in a way that makes it look better, if you follow.  Social distancing certainly won't be an issue.  It's got to be nice having something where you can just focus on whatever mechanical bits that are needed and sod the consequences on appearance.  That is the worst bit of bonnet rot I've ever seen on one of these, here's hoping you can find a road sign or something to bolt over it just to get rid of the nasty tetanusy bits.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:20 PM, LightBulbFun said:

is it just me or did anyone else initially read "418SLD"

as 486? LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486

No. However,  your comment has brought back memories of my old Compaq 486 which I produced my dissy on in the late 90s. It seemed quite an upgrade from my Olivetti 386!

Back on track,  the tourer looks well worth sticking with, doc. 

Update,  just spotted latest photos. Hmm. 

48 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

No. However,  your comment has brought back memories of my old Compaq 486 which I produced my dissy on in the late 90s. It seemed quite an upgrade from my Olivetti 386!

haha probably just because im a massive computer nerd :) (tis one of my other hobbies)

(as a general side note as an aforementioned computer nerd I really must get some sort of 486 system in the collection one of these days, im sorely lacking in that department, I have a selection of older Macintosh computers, but my oldest x86 PC is "only" an Athlon XP machine)

Those roofrails are begging to be cut shorter before smack your head on them then fit mega light bar on it and a rear facing one to dazzle all the pricks that don't know how to use their headlight control switch or headlamp height adjustment control , dazzling twats need shooting, bright lights have a time and a place, not in daylight pootling round town. Not directed at you personally. 

Grump over

11 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Those roofrails are begging to be cut shorter before smack your head on them then fit mega light bar on it and a rear facing one to dazzle all the pricks that don't know how to use their headlight control switch or headlamp height adjustment control , dazzling twats need shooting, bright lights have a time and a place, not in daylight pootling round town. Not directed at you personally. 

Grump over

100% on that grump. 

Good idea too.