The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

Fucked about with the exhaust and got it to fit a bit better. It doesn't look pretty under there, but it is functional 🤣

Then started the car while it was still up in the air and in gear! Oops. Had to employ the standard jack to rescue me. 

IMG_20201011_103840.thumb.jpg.043deb5a1a2325b640c04ee3c490bb42.jpg

IMG_20201011_103846.thumb.jpg.179d6ceea2cb2cb145514adfa9159bf0.jpg

Also managed to fix the driver's side lock on the Metro, so that's cheered me up. 

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Jacking off.
15 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

In a bad mood with myself, I managed to cock up the exhaust bodgery earlier, but got it airtight and secure*. Only for it to vibrate itself loose again on the way back from Chelmsford. Now the tip is about an inch from the ground and the pipe is resting on the anti roll bar. 🙄

Going to have to dismantle and rebuild/bodge tomorrow. 

I wish I either knew what I was doing or knew someone else who does. Just seems I go from one disaster to another. I couldn't even manage to clean the engine bay today without cutting my fingers twice. 

But hey, we do this because we love old cars eh? 😂

split washers?

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

NCAP and crash protection put an end to that.  Need space to crumple and dissipate energy. 

Smart cars are pretty safe, and they're not exactly massive. I think most of the safety comes from bouncing off due to lack of mass/inertia 

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Smart cars are pretty safe, and they're not exactly massive. I think most of the safety comes from bouncing off due to lack of mass/inertia 

They rely on the crumple zone of the other vehicle you are hitting. 

Back on the subject of this small car, I'm considering painting it with that peelable paint you can get, then at least it is reversable. Might be easier than trying to put vinyl on. 

I'm thinking something like Hot Pink with lime green wheel trims. 😁

Like this..

LHtSQHSl.jpg.d1172ff1bd1888ce6cef0d8421e06121.jpg

On 10/10/2020 at 5:47 AM, danthecapriman said:

I remember doing Metro’s from my time in a garage, didn’t the rear brakes require a little spanner with a square hole instead of a normal type?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Rear-Brake-Adjuster-Spanner-1-4-5-16-square-adjusting-1959-2000/184349721278?hash=item2aec1982be:g:vCQAAOSw-ghb5Cib

On 10/10/2020 at 18:46, big_al_granvia said:

cant remember, the front driveshaft nut was a awkward size, 3/4 whitworth was the best fit

On 10/10/2020 at 17:47, danthecapriman said:

I remember doing Metro’s from my time in a garage, didn’t the rear brakes require a little spanner with a square hole instead of a normal type?

I have a socket for the ball joints.  Cost me £££££ in 1990.  Available on loan if required. Last used in 1998. 

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - You've got red on you
5 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Well, I picked at them. 

As Arthur Scargill found out in the 1984 coal miners strike:  If you picket, it won't get better.

Also, that's rot in the sill section just ahead of the B-pillar isn't it?  Given how ridiculously easy it was to fold one of these up even when it was new, do please get that repaired properly.  It's a very easy repair to do as you've got a seam to work to, and access is very good.

2 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

It's a 1.5 petrol Focus, it's a hire car for work. 

I'm spending two days in Bristol!

He's gone all bloody Michael Palin too. Bristol bound are ye? Don't you know there's a pandemic on?!

16 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I get that it's a ballot box, and something to do with Freemasonry, but other than that, I'm stumped. 

You are about there.  The idea is members can vote anonymously, if the black balls exceed the white you are out!

Your crime is being found in possession of a new car!

Only kidding of course for a bit of fun because work is so boring!