The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

10 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

I've actually given it some further thought, and figured out that the connection I replaced was the horn circuit live, and nothing to do with the airbag whatsoever. So all those people who are panicking, can rest easy. The worst that can happen is my horn stops working ??? 

Ah right, u r pro auto electrician obviously. Got that from “had to make assumptions about what goes where”

Probably somewhere between the two really. 

This connection here:

IMG_20200518_143429.thumb.jpg.7a1fa48831eaabf9262537857603b8a7.jpg

... was how the horn was wired on the old wheel. Obviously, I had to assume that it was just a fancy way of connecting the two wires together, and that there is no witchcraft within the flimsy plastic. 

I don't have a picture to hand of the new connection, but needless to say, it appears Rover/MG had gotten rid of that weird connection by the 2000s.

IMG_20200518_143431.thumb.jpg.623215fd940cdac98870465e69edd9fe.jpg

I think everything we do is somewhere between assumption and knowledge, that's how we learn things, isn't it. 

I've always been of the mindset of - apply what little knowledge you have, with a little bit of wisdom, and a dollop of 'lets see what happens', tends to work OK. 

I've owned and bodged over 100 different cars, you tend to pick things up as you go. 

15 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

As a self confessed idiot, one area I wouldn't mess about with on my car is any part that could explode in my face. You crazy bastard ?

There was definitely some fear involved while I was dismantling the wheel. It's actually not that scary once you figure out what bits do what. 

The bit that contains the explodey stuff is a sealed unit with one connector, so with that removed, the parts left behind are just the trigger circuits etc, the only time I winced was when reconnecting the actual airbag. There's no indication of which way round it he connector goes! 

IMG_20200518_143734.thumb.jpg.42db4ef7c1d29414bef631613b7fdd5e.jpg

Luckily, it all went well and I didn't explode my face or the windscreen ?

Just now, TheDoctor said:

There was definitely some fear involved while I was dismantling the wheel. It's actually not that scary once you figure out what bits do what. 

The bit that contains the explodey stuff is a sealed unit with one connector, so with that removed, the parts left behind are just the trigger circuits etc, the only time I winced was when reconnecting the actual airbag. There's no indication of which way round it he connector goes! 

IMG_20200518_143734.thumb.jpg.42db4ef7c1d29414bef631613b7fdd5e.jpg

Luckily, it all went well and I didn't explode my face of the windscreen ?

I'd really like to stick a smaller steering wheel on my SLK as the existing one is non adjustable for some bizarre reason, but looking at that gives me the fear ?

I quite like the end result of this car. It went from looking like shit, to looking even more like shit, but then to looking really rather respectable and nice. That steering wheel is a lovely little upgrade though. I agree with the whole fear thing but I've done steering wheel changes/mods to BMW's in the past and it is unreal how simplistic the wiring is, even for a novice it was straightforward with no actual worry. 

Next thing I want to do is paint the roof. 

Look at the state of it!

IMG_20200519_122332.thumb.jpg.a43b7b232009570cadc293de13b298f9.jpg

IMG_20200519_122408.thumb.jpg.c0238f604b37b5712312ce3e1757f706.jpg

Obviously a matt black roof in this weather would be madness, (and not the good, one step beyond type) so I was considering a beige / cream like a desert storm type of thing... 

7 minutes ago, sims00 said:

I quite like the end result of this car. It went from looking like shit, to looking even more like shit, but then to looking really rather respectable and nice. That steering wheel is a lovely little upgrade though. I agree with the whole fear thing but I've done steering wheel changes/mods to BMW's in the past and it is unreal how simplistic the wiring is, even for a novice it was straightforward with no actual worry. 

Don't worry, it will look shit again soon. 

You see, I like the rough and ready / mad max / post apocalyptic look, but it's like with any 'look', it's easy to overdo it, and end up with a caricature of what you intended. A bit like ratlook cars. A P.A. vehicle would be whatever is still running, to hell with how it looks, and any modifications would be to help survive the nuclear wasteland/zombie hoard/covid ridden elderly or whatever it was that destroyed the human race. 

So each time I get a crazy idea in my head, I have to ask myself 'What would the Road Warrior do' ??

5 minutes ago, HMC said:

Looks great! Any plans for it at the mo?

Leave it the hell alone mostly. Perhaps repaint the wheels silver, or at least the lips. The black paint is staying well away, don't want an Autoshite lynch mob at me door ?

3 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Sounds healthy. 

It is, it's a very healthy engine, one of the reasons I'm loathe to get rid of it.