The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

Just a reminder to everyone:

On 27th June I'm doing 19 hours gaming to raise money for charity, for the British Red Cross

Here's the link to donate, and the link to my live stream. It would be great to get a few people watching and commenting!

https://donate.tiltify.com/@alan-snowdon/the-doctors-marathon

https://mixer.com/TheDoctor409354

19 hours may not seem like a lot, but I am nearly 40! Couple that with my very short attention span and this will be a huge challenge.

Feel free to share around if you want.

Even if you don't want to donate to this particular cause, why not use this as a reason to stick a couple of quid into a charity of your choosing?

Tourer is misbehaving. No obvious issue, but the temp gauge occasionally creeps up quite high. It's normally when I've been 'trundling' along, possibly labouring the engine (stuck behind a twit doing 25 in a 30, and me neglecting to change down to 3rd). I can get the temp back to normal by turning the heating on for a little bit. I don't think I've ever heard the fan kick in. Hmm. 

This high... 

IMG_20200625_133249.thumb.jpg.5ff4738ea43c64399961820287559f51.jpg

Having the heating on was no joke today! 

IMG_20200625_133451.thumb.jpg.49ceb75fb778f35f95ded27aca39859c.jpg

5 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Just a reminder to everyone:

On 27th June I'm doing 19 hours gaming to raise money for charity, for the British Red Cross

Here's the link to donate, and the link to my live stream. It would be great to get a few people watching and commenting!

https://donate.tiltify.com/@alan-snowdon/the-doctors-marathon

https://mixer.com/TheDoctor409354

19 hours may not seem like a lot, but I am nearly 40! Couple that with my very short attention span and this will be a huge challenge.

Feel free to share around if you want.

Even if you don't want to donate to this particular cause, why not use this as a reason to stick a couple of quid into a charity of your choosing?

I've chucked a few quid in the pot. I'll see if I can gatecrash your FH4 part of the marathon too. :D

Definitely worth investigating the fan issue, or at the least wiring up a manual override (assuming it is just a dodgy thermoswitch rather than fan motor) in the interim.

Overheating kills XUDs quicker than just about anything else, pretty sure the explanation I was given was that it was something to do with the head being annealed by the heat.  Basically though the bottom line was "don't overheat an XUD."

58 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Definitely worth investigating the fan issue, or at the least wiring up a manual override (assuming it is just a dodgy thermoswitch rather than fan motor) in the interim.

Overheating kills XUDs quicker than just about anything else, pretty sure the explanation I was given was that it was something to do with the head being annealed by the heat.  Basically though the bottom line was "don't overheat an XUD."

Funny, on the XUD Facebook page, someone said

"Perfectly normal. All indirect injected engines run hot. Especially when laboured" 

and they just advised flushing the system. 

I think I'll wire up a switch for peace of mind for now. 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:05 PM, TheDoctor said:

Went for a pootle around, a Mcds coffee and a jet wash this evening. Also jet washed the headrests from the Fenlander. I think I've got most of the old people gunk off them. 

Sat and drank my coffee at a largely deserted 'cruise meetup' place behind Mcdonalds. 

IMG_20200623_204609.thumb.jpg.7726a540fded27bfe1fae77f428514b0.jpgIMG_20200623_204453.thumb.jpg.bd2cc963cf4535bc057cd6af91086a55.jpg

I absolutely love the tourer dude!

The switch-in temperatures for XUDs can be disturbingly high.  I'm sure one of them doesn't even switch in the low-speed fans until nearly 100c.  And that's the temperature in the rad side-tank, not at the cylinder head outlet, which can be several degrees higher.  Experience now tells us that XUDs do not like to be run hot, so definitely check the thermal switch is working, check the fans even run, and maybe wire a switch on the dash to run them.  That way the system doesn't even have to wait for the temperature to rise.. it just stays at the right level.

IDI engines do generate more heat than their DI counterparts.. that's the whole point, they're less efficient.  For the same power output they use more fuel and produce more heat.  HOWEVER that doesn't mean it runs hotter.. it just means there is more heat to get rid of, hence the radiator in an IDI car needs to be larger than the equivalent DI car.  So the thing about IDI engines running hotter is bollocks.  I can see where it came from, but someone clearly cannot differentiate between heat energy and temperature.

5 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Funny, on the XUD Facebook page, someone said

"Perfectly normal. All indirect injected engines run hot. Especially when laboured" 

and they just advised flushing the system. 

I think I'll wire up a switch for peace of mind for now. 

i think you'll find the normal bit is between the two white lines so that isnt really hot

modern stuff has damped gauges that dont move much over quite a range

17 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i think you'll find the normal bit is between the two white lines so that isnt really hot

modern stuff has damped gauges that dont move much over quite a range

That's true in the Xantia... I've had it over two years and it still freaks me the hell out in the summer how high it will get before the fans will kick into high...at which point random passers by start getting sucked into the radiator.

2 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Thought it would be a good idea to use red electrical tape as a temporary fix under the headlights. Turns out I bought the worlds thinnest tape and it took 4 layers! I'll do the other side tomorrow. Maybe. 

IMG_20200625_204043.thumb.jpg.035fd7823d5ebce7a67e2ff35e0a7cc5.jpg

It's a good bold and even eye catching red, at least in this photo!

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That's true in the Xantia... I've had it over two years and it still freaks me the hell out in the summer how high it will get before the fans will kick into high...at which point random passers by start getting sucked into the radiator.

Must be a Citroen thing. 

The C5 go about 3/4 of the way up before the fan kicks in. And then it's literally only if you're stopped in traffic on a day like yesterday. 

The big rad of the HDi must be a good heat soak. 

9 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

True, but general experience of XUD engines over the last near-40-years suggests that the manufacturers range of acceptable temperatures is a little too wide, and that having the fans cut in a only-just-over normal running temperature is a very good thing.

My Volvo 440 with it's Renault engine is the opposite. It never gets to what a normal person would call 'normal', though it remains on the cooks side of between the lines.

I even changed the thermostat, after checking that the pipes are the right ball park temperature.

I guess different manufacturers had their own ways, or the engines age differently.

3 hours ago, Dannyk said:

If it makes you feel any better the fan in my old corsa used to kick in here

Screenshot_2020-06-26-10-09-32.png

Do that to an XUD and that's almost guaranteed to be OMGHGF.  I used to run several of my XUD-powered cars with no pressure in the cooling system, as I had the fans set up to keep the temperature at 90 or below.  If you're not exceeding 100, pressurised coolant isn't needed, and if you do get a leak somewhere it doesn't all piss out in an instant.  over 100c on any engine makes me twitch.