Small Car Big Engine

Peter C

9 hours ago, Madman Of The People said:

1024px-02-04_Suzuki_Aerio_sedan.jpg

2004-07 US-Spec Suzuki Aerio (Liana in the UK) came with a 155 horsepower 2.3 litre engine.  As you might expect, it delivered miserable fuel economy.  Imagine something that was billed as an "economy" car with the fuel consumption of a Yank Tank.  I recall these were bought only by the terminally poor due to the fact Suzuki dealers would finance anyone who was breathing.

Suzuki bailed out of America a few years later, after trying to pass off a bunch of shoddy Daewoos as Suzukis, thanks to their disastrous partnership with General Motors.

I had one as a rental in the US. Fucking rancid thing.

38 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I want a Hayabusa engine to put in LBF's ride when he's not looking, that might take his breath away.... but only for a while ?

LBF, been meaning to ask, has anyone put something like that in one?

42 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Viva/Firenza/Magnum/droop-snoot. 2.3, 123bhp in a light rwd car.

The Viva 2300SL is probably worth the top prize for being a poverty specced 1.3 base model with next to no modifications other than the hairy engine, some Magnum rostyles and the Magnum seven gauge instrument pod in place of the strip speedo. Came with a lovely vinyl interior, oblong headlamps and single speed wipers.

16 minutes ago, Dannyk said:

LBF, been meaning to ask, has anyone put something like that in one?

not that im aware of, the only Model 70 engine swap im aware of is that 500cc kubota diesel one!

otherwise closest I can think of would be Derry preston Cobb's, Invacar new era which got continual engine upgrades/replacements from the Greeves competition Motorcycle engine department good for over 70Mph flat out which is utterly terrifying when you consider its an open frame invalid carriage from the early 1950s!

(although it was just a 1 off so not suitable for this thread sadly lol)

eventually he did move to a Model 70, and in 1983 it was being fitted with a 650cc version of its 493cc Steyr puch engine, when sadly Derry passed away, its not known if this was ever completed or not

3 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

My first car was a Peugeot 306 1.9 XLdt. To those not in the know, it was a 1.9 Turbo Diesel. Nothing would happen, then the turbo spooled up and would push you back in to your seat. That was a lot of engine in a small car. 

I need to buy another one. 

I had the same as my first car, too. It was also £300 cheaper to insure than a 1.2 Punto! That's why I bought the 306... That was an absolutely ace car.

16 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I had the same as my first car, too. It was also £300 cheaper to insure than a 1.2 Punto! That's why I bought the 306... That was an absolutely ace car.

If memory serves, the insurance company wanted £2,500 for me to be insured on my sister's 1.2 Renault Clio. The 306 cost me £1,500. 

Yeah, not great, but when you're 21 and in Birmingham that wasn't bad.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

not that im aware of, the only Model 70 engine swap im aware of is that 500cc kubota diesel one!

otherwise closest I can think of would be Derry preston Cobb's, Invacar new era which got continual engine upgrades/replacements from the Greeves competition Motorcycle engine department good for over 70Mph flat out which is utterly terrifying when you consider its an open frame invalid carriage from the early 1950s!

(although it was just a 1 off so not suitable for this thread sadly lol)

eventually he did move to a Model 70, and in 1983 it was being fitted with a 650cc version of its 493cc Steyr puch engine, when sadly Derry passed away, its not known if this was ever completed or not

Would be quite fun in REV

8 minutes ago, angle said:

Toyota Blade Master-G. Apart from being BorniteIdentity's hip hop alter-ego, its also an Auris with a 3.5 V6. I was about to say its what Lotus use in the Evora, but it turns out Lotus use the less powerful version (until they supercharge it). 

A friend imported one into the UK. That's how I learnt of them. His job parking card says "Toyota Auris" and is the greatest thing ever.

It helps that they have clear taillight which during that period usually means Hybrid for Toyota.

Over in Europe the Transit gets a crappy 2.0TDi with an asthmatic 100bhp.

That's not acceptable in the USA, so they cram a 3.7l V6 petrol in them as standard with 275bhp. Of course that's not sufficient* so they also do a 3.5l V6 ... complete with twin turbos. At 310bhp, I imagine an empty van would shift quite well - reportedly 0-60 in 6.8 seconds.

Not sure they'd trust the average P.E. teacher over here to take the Netball team to a nearby match...

transit-pass1-1576777255.jpg?crop=0.891x

10 hours ago, SiC said:

Over in Europe the Transit gets a crappy 2.0TDi with an asthmatic 100bhp.

That's not acceptable in the USA, so they cram a 3.7l V6 petrol in them as standard with 275bhp. Of course that's not sufficient* so they also do a 3.5l V6 ... complete with twin turbos. At 310bhp, I imagine an empty van would shift quite well - reportedly 0-60 in 6.8 seconds.

Not sure they'd trust the average P.E. teacher over here to take the Netball team to a nearby match...

transit-pass1-1576777255.jpg?crop=0.891x

Apparently also available with AWD. That would be a hoot in the SWB low roof!

I love how they've Americanised that though. The marker lights up on the roof, plus chromed wheels!