Small Car Big Engine

Peter C

The Citroen Super Ami had nearly the engine capacity as the usual 602cc, with 1015cc to play with.

The Chrysler 180 / 2 Litre had a 4 litre 6 cylinder squeezed when it was turned into the Centura, the Australians like doing this as the Holden Commodore had a 5 litre V8 shoehorned in.

1024px-02-04_Suzuki_Aerio_sedan.jpg

2004-07 US-Spec Suzuki Aerio (Liana in the UK) came with a 155 horsepower 2.3 litre engine.  As you might expect, it delivered miserable fuel economy.  Imagine something that was billed as an "economy" car with the fuel consumption of a Yank Tank.  I recall these were bought only by the terminally poor due to the fact Suzuki dealers would finance anyone who was breathing.

Suzuki bailed out of America a few years later, after trying to pass off a bunch of shoddy Daewoos as Suzukis, thanks to their disastrous partnership with General Motors.

5 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Didn't the Cobra get a 1.7TD lump? 

That's how my eyes translated it. 

I'm thinking that's someone building a kit car with a view to using it daily. 

70005008733016112200100.jpg.80f7ccad3ad16698e491862f61e9e9c2.jpg

This is the Toyota Blade. Available only in Japan. It is basically a Toyota Auris but the standard engine is 2.4-litre and the optional Master and Master G trim comes with 3.5-litre 280hp V6. What make this interesting is that it wasn't an attempt to make Auris sporty, but to make it wafty. So it has comfortable suspension and luxurious appointment just in a small package.

And it's the Blade Master.

10 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

A 19year old in an HS 2300, can't believe it lasted 4 years without being written off!

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Funny you should say that. I had a £12000 claim for a motorbike accident. Spent 5 grand on the car (it was 6 months old), £635 on tpf&t insurance, and then another £1200 to get it fixed when I put it in a ditch about 6 months later. The other 5 grand I just wasted. ?    Cant beat low weight, plenty of power / torque, and RWD.

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

One could argue that AC's own Model 70 also belongs in this thread :mrgreen:

given it replaced the very similar Looking Model 67 much like the Cobra replaced the Ace!

with the Model 67 having a 8.5Hp 197cc single cylinder Villiers engine and a top speed of about 45Mph, compared to the Model 70's 20HP 493cc flat twin and a top speed of 82Mph!

if we look at it regarding percentages, it actually matches the Ace vs Cobra quite well, for example both the Cobra and the Model 70 had over twice the amount of power the model they replaced

the Model 70 even had flared wheel arches like the Cobra LOL

Model 67

ac1.jpg

Model 70

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.c48e135facf0ba8eb5401ed5bed795af.JPG

its all relative I guess LOL

Oh dear God, please, do we need a mention of these in every single thread?

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

One could argue that AC's own Model 70 also belongs in this thread :mrgreen:

given it replaced the very similar Looking Model 67 much like the Cobra replaced the Ace!

with the Model 67 having a 8.5Hp 197cc single cylinder Villiers engine and a top speed of about 45Mph, compared to the Model 70's 20HP 493cc flat twin and a top speed of 82Mph!

if we look at it regarding percentages, it actually matches the Ace vs Cobra quite well, for example both the Cobra and the Model 70 had over twice the amount of power the model they replaced

the Model 70 even had flared wheel arches like the Cobra LOL

Model 67

ac1.jpg

Model 70

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.c48e135facf0ba8eb5401ed5bed795af.JPG

its all relative I guess LOL

No. Just No.

My first car was a Peugeot 306 1.9 XLdt. To those not in the know, it was a 1.9 Turbo Diesel. Nothing would happen, then the turbo spooled up and would push you back in to your seat. That was a lot of engine in a small car. 

I need to buy another one. 

1 hour ago, rantingYoof said:

Volvo 480s came with a 2.0 lump.

Not quite as smol but Volvo 460 too, I had one in 'Si 2.0i' trim and it went very well. Came with a spoiler and sports* suspension and everything. 

(looks like a full size Volvo in this pic but only the size of a jetta in real life)

fb_1_b.jpg.3e7b006a4eb0b5c02bcc67810562e4f7.jpg 

I am surprised nobody has mentioned a Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9, 130 bhp, 875kg!

I had use of a few GTi s when they were young cars and while 0-60 in 7.5 secs was really quick in a shopping car in 1990, I preferred driving the 1.6i because the suspension was so hard on a 1.9i a bump could throw you off line in a corner.

The picture is a 1.6i that I used to take home.

CVS Peugot 205GTi F78 GBW.jpg

7 hours ago, burraston2006 said:

Wasn't there a 1.8 diseasal Fester?

Yes. We had a van on an 02 plate in that form and it was honestly ridiculous.

Not blisteringly fast, but quick.  Quick and utterly relentless and seemingly totally unaffected by any external factors like gradients or headwinds.

I couldn't get sensible insurance on it at the time but did look quite seriously at buying it when they renewed the fleet as it was an absolute hoot to drive.

2 hours ago, dome said:

No. Just No.

3 hours ago, HH-R said:

Oh dear God, please, do we need a mention of these in every single thread?

sorry just couldn't help myself :) 

(especially when I realised/you compare the similarity of the Ace/Cobra and 67/70 when comparing relative performance/upgrade figures LOL)