Small Car Big Engine

Peter C

The Sunbeam Lotus springs to mind, which hides a twin cam 2.2 litre engine in a three door hatchback shell.

The Rover R8 had a twin cam 2.0 litre engine, again in a smallish hatchback body.

My father in law once had a mid 2000s shape Clio fitted with a 1.9dCi engine, admittedly in a 5 door shell.

What’s the biggest engine in a small car that you can think of? Modified cars don’t count.

W12 Passat is probably the most ridiculous one I've come across too...not a small car but utterly bonkers engine to shoe horn into it.

So someone who grew up with Metros and such, the 1.5TD in the Corsa B felt pretty special.  A car that size with a turbo (diesel or otherwise) was a bit odd.  Went well once I knocked the restrictor out the air intake too.

40 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

W12 Passat is probably the most ridiculous one I've come across too...not a small car but utterly bonkers engine to shoe horn into it.

So someone who grew up with Metros and such, the 1.5TD in the Corsa B felt pretty special.  A car that size with a turbo (diesel or otherwise) was a bit odd.  Went well once I knocked the restrictor out the air intake too.

You guys mean the W8 right? The W12 was available in the Phaeton.

Regarding V8s in Passat sized cars: C43 AMG, V8 CLKs, anything Golf sized with a V6 (Alfas).

55 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

56 minutes ago, stuboy said:

mate had 1 of these in 1.9 diesel guise.. went well for non turbo too

1200px-VW_Polo_front_20090329.jpg

Having worked at VW and seen a W12 getting removed and rebuilt, I can confirm it it literally fills the engine bay in every direction. We also had a 9N Polo GT, 1.9 TDI 6 speed, what a great sleeper that was!

1 hour ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

oh and AC Cobra obviously in big block form with it's 427 cubic inches (a smidgen under 7 litres) of V8 goodness.

One could argue that AC's own Model 70 also belongs in this thread :mrgreen:

given it replaced the very similar Looking Model 67 much like the Cobra replaced the Ace!

with the Model 67 having a 8.5Hp 197cc single cylinder Villiers engine and a top speed of about 45Mph, compared to the Model 70's 20HP 493cc flat twin and a top speed of 82Mph!

if we look at it regarding percentages, it actually matches the Ace vs Cobra quite well, for example both the Cobra and the Model 70 had over twice the amount of power the model they replaced

the Model 70 even had flared wheel arches like the Cobra LOL

Model 67

ac1.jpg

Model 70

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.c48e135facf0ba8eb5401ed5bed795af.JPG

its all relative I guess LOL