Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

10 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Finally made it home in the Fairmont after a week and a bit from the first attempt. Folk were amazed to see it at the HubNut Social, and so was I to be honest! Seeing it drive in, after repairs by RatDat, was amazing. 

IMG_20210814_164702.thumb.jpg.63c2d8873c03d1875afe5eb8b44fb077.jpg

We wafted for an hour back to our AirBNB yesterday evening and it was just delicious. Continentals leave it feeling a fair bit more secure, not that I was in any mind to push things. I've not 100% got my confidence back in this car yet.

Today it was over 200 miles back home and that was also lovely. It just cruises so well. But, the rear brakes are still sometimes a bit sticky, even with new pads. RatDat reported that the sliders and pistons seemed ok, but that the pistons pushed out all on their own when pushed back in. No residual pressure in the hydraulics it seems. Will investigate next week. They don't get so hot you can't touch the wheel, but they do get hot enough to make it painful to touch the disc hub.

Chodtastic news about Betty 

14 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Presumably this ad was from the 70s, what would £2674 equate to now? 

Looks like 80s snd depends what you are buying. but at a guess: 

Wages? £10k

Food? £11k

Computers £350

House prices £30k

Cars £13k ( cheapest car you can buy) 

Returning to the Fairmont, tomorrow I'll be investigating the rear brakes. RatDat expressed surprise that the pistons seemed to push themselves back out unprompted, so I think this will be the focus of my investigations. Never had anything like it before but it suggests pressure where there ought not to be any, so might try bleeding through the rear lines - it has ABS which slightly complicates matters, but we'll see what happens. Front brakes are fine and aren't binding at all.

22 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Make sure the pedal isnt over adjusted .

I had something along that line on a motorbike. I was adjusting the rear brake master after I replaced the pads and brake line and didnt have a manual. I assumed the pedal needed to rest against the stop (as it was before I swapped parts) but it actually needed a 2mm gap. So by me adjusting it to the stop it kept residual pressure in the system which built up every time I pressed the pedal to the point it locked up the rear brake.

The only time I've seen anything similar in a simple brake set up, was when the brake dust covers (not the seals themselves) were cheapo replacements and exerted enough force to pull the piston out to a "neutral" position.  Shouldn't be any residual hydraulic pressure in the system at all, over-adjusted or otherwise.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Thanks. Good thought. The pedal feels rather wooden as it happens. 

We had a Taurus at work (which appears to be cousin), and the brake feel was as you describe. The brakes inspire confidence in their ability to halt motion and the ABS isn't bad, but the assistance always felt like you were the one doing the work.

The steering was a bit like that, also. The ride waa marvelously compliant, like riding on memory foam springs. 

Glad to see it mended and back on the road!

7 hours ago, PhilA said:

We had a Taurus at work (which appears to be cousin), and the brake feel was as you describe. The brakes inspire confidence in their ability to halt motion and the ABS isn't bad, but the assistance always felt like you were the one doing the work.

The steering was a bit like that, also. The ride waa marvelously compliant, like riding on memory foam springs. 

Glad to see it mended and back on the road!

Taurus is a completely different architecture although similarly sized. Funnily enough Ford tried to sell it in Australia around the time Betty was built, and failed miserably.

13 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Taurus is a completely different architecture although similarly sized. Funnily enough Ford tried to sell it in Australia around the time Betty was built, and failed miserably.

Likely similar design spec for the era though. Foot pedal pressure per braking force, all have a corporate "feel", hence "cousin".