Jump to content

Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread


dollywobbler

Recommended Posts

Sorry folks. Shitter of a day, but could have been worse. I'm back where I started the day, with Betty and it appears the spin has bent a halfshaft and it also smashed the rim off the offside rear. Bloody lucky not to have worse damage but feeling gloomy nonetheless.

The road surface was like ice, and once she started sliding, under gentle acceleration I should point out, there was no catching her. I'm absolutely gutted, though trying to remember that at least I was on my own, wasn't injured and the car wasn't destroyed. It stopped right on the edge of a big drop too. Horrendous that this hasn't been dealt with.

I'm going to have to leave her in Lincolnshire and try to acquire parts. All I want to do right now is sleep.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Sorry folks. Shitter of a day, but could have been worse. I'm back where I started the day, with Betty and it appears the spin has bent a halfshaft and it also smashed the rim off the offside rear. Bloody lucky not to have worse damage but feeling gloomy nonetheless.

The road surface was like ice, and once she started sliding, under gentle acceleration I should point out, there was no catching her. I'm absolutely gutted, though trying to remember that at least I was on my own, wasn't injured and the car wasn't destroyed. It stopped right on the edge of a big drop too. Horrendous that this hasn't been dealt with.

I'm going to have to leave her in Lincolnshire and try to acquire parts. All I want to do right now is sleep.

 

Bugger. Diesel spillage I guess? However, sounds like the old girl will live to fight another day  and no-one's injured. Must be be hugely frustrating though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Sorry folks. Shitter of a day, but could have been worse. I'm back where I started the day, with Betty and it appears the spin has bent a halfshaft and it also smashed the rim off the offside rear. Bloody lucky not to have worse damage but feeling gloomy nonetheless.

The road surface was like ice, and once she started sliding, under gentle acceleration I should point out, there was no catching her. I'm absolutely gutted, though trying to remember that at least I was on my own, wasn't injured and the car wasn't destroyed. It stopped right on the edge of a big drop too. Horrendous that this hasn't been dealt with.

I'm going to have to leave her in Lincolnshire and try to acquire parts. All I want to do right now is sleep.

 

You don't need to apologise for it @dollywobbler we are just glad nobody was hurt and Betty isn't too badly damaged 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Sorry folks. Shitter of a day, but could have been worse. I'm back where I started the day, with Betty and it appears the spin has bent a halfshaft and it also smashed the rim off the offside rear. Bloody lucky not to have worse damage but feeling gloomy nonetheless.

The road surface was like ice, and once she started sliding, under gentle acceleration I should point out, there was no catching her. I'm absolutely gutted, though trying to remember that at least I was on my own, wasn't injured and the car wasn't destroyed. It stopped right on the edge of a big drop too. Horrendous that this hasn't been dealt with.

I'm going to have to leave her in Lincolnshire and try to acquire parts. All I want to do right now is sleep.

 

Sleep, perchance to dream. Will look better tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

A fan posted this on Twitter, seems to have been removed now :

 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/871080286077722704/873283986380689478/20210806_141006.jpg

 

That pic sort of gives a lot more context to the incident, From the initial pics it looked like it had happened on a straight road (I initially thought maybe a blowout or something), but coming off a turn with gentle acceleration in a long, torquey rwd car with a shitty/slippy road surface looks like a pretty textbook floaty drift off the corner followed by a snap at the end. Easy for somebody to stand back and say this, that or the next thing about speed, catching it, whatever, truth is when these things happen, the driver pretty much becomes the passenger, Once it's swapping ends if the grip on the road isn't there and weight starts swinging around, there's not much you or anyone else can do. It's pretty much wrong place, wrong time, nobodies fault.

Ultimately, it's shit, but it'll look a lot better in the morning and the shock wears off. The outcome could have been an awful lot worse, could have been barrier contact or rolled down into the drop. As it stands, a wheel, tyre and some drivetrain/suspension and maybe a little brake stuff is a little bit of a result, all things considered. Most importantly, Ian wasn't hurt, The rest is just metal that can have bits removed and stuck back on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly that. It's a notorious spot with pretty much zero grip after a downpour, which had just happened. Council knows about it because there are slippery surface signs. The one before the roundabout has gone missing (just a frame and 300yds sign) and I didn't see the one immediately as you join the dual carriageway. No excessive speed (or I would have ended up in a big ditch) and only gentle throttle. 

Likely the car will be off the road for some time as I doubt I'll be able to get parts in the UK. 30 dollars for everything I need from an Aussie scrappy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Exactly that. It's a notorious spot with pretty much zero grip after a downpour, which had just happened. Council knows about it because there are slippery surface signs. The one before the roundabout has gone missing (just a frame and 300yds sign) and I didn't see the one immediately as you join the dual carriageway. No excessive speed (or I would have ended up in a big ditch) and only gentle throttle. 

Likely the car will be off the road for some time as I doubt I'll be able to get parts in the UK. 30 dollars for everything I need from an Aussie scrappy.

What's 30 dollars in pounds? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

You don't need to apologise for it @dollywobbler we are just glad nobody was hurt and Betty isn't too badly damaged 

If he is going to apologise, he needs to say why he knows what he did was wrong, explain why he did it, explain how he's going to put it right, and explain what he's going to do to make sure it never happens again. If he cant do that, he's not sorry.  And his apology is not accepted. 

 

Can you tell I've brought up 2 kids ? 

The twat and cynic in me wants to jokingly to suggest that it's just an elaborate ruse to drum up more traffic to his channel, but i know its not true and I'm genuinely glad nobody was hurt.  

There's nothing worse than that moment just before impact, when you know there's nothing you can do, other than hope you don't kill yourself or an innocent bystander. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easily done Ian, especially if the tyres are getting on a bit or cheap brands, the first sign of rain and you often see cars in the ditch, in fact last Sunday a 80 year old man stacked his 4x4 doing the same thing just as it started to rain at the end of our road where there's a sweeping left bend into the village down a hill and parked it on his roof badly cutting his face so in the grand scheme of things you got of lightly. 

All the best getting the parts shipped over and don't let it upset you too much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like Dollywobbler just needs to get some new tyres for it. A powerful old-school RWD car needs good tyres and he says himself a few posts back in this thread that the tyres were poor in the wet. Thankfully no one was injured and damage doesn't sound to be significant, but spinning a car always leaves you a bit shaken. We've all done it at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big engine, crap tyres, primitive suspension - just waiting to happen IMO.

FWIW putting my foot down coming onto a slip road which sometimes has diesel spillage on it because it's off an elevated roundabout nearly had me spinning off the road, tumbling down an embankment and into the path of numerous HGVs on the dual carriageway below. It has had Armco fitted since then.

Since then I treat such junctions with extreme caution - if you're blowing your horn/flashing your lights at me because you want to pass me there, you can get in the fucking bin.

Ar least the bits won't be expensive, just the wait/import duty...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I've watched quite a few Australian dash cam videos and everyone seems to fall off the road as soon as it starts raining.  Maybe Aussie-spec tyres just aren't designed for wet roads?

Perth  733mm, Melbourne  663mm, Canberra 620mm, Hobart 614mm.

London in comparison 557mm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Maybe Aussie-spec tyres just aren't designed for wet roads?

Quite possibly. I know @PhilAsaid that USA tyres are of a very different compound to UK/European tyres. Iirc harder to wear less as far longer distances covered and also designed to withstand even wider temperature ranges without excessive wear. 

The temperature gradient across Oz is probably not too dissimilar to many parts of the US? Possibly similar tyre compounds.

At least this was not in the 2CV (folded/ripped apart like a tin can) or Matiz (top heavy and narrow wheel base more likely to roll hitting a kerb). Much better to be just pissed off than pissed off while being reconstructed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Spurious said:

There's loads of tyre places that do discounts with the blue light card that you can order online @dollywobbler if you need to purchase some new ones.  Let me know if you need one, they're just generic codes I can see on the app. 

Don't forget Camskill which are often even cheaper again.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Quite possibly. I know @PhilAsaid that USA tyres are of a very different compound to UK/European tyres. Iirc harder to wear less as far longer distances covered and also designed to withstand even wider temperature ranges without excessive wear. 

The temperature gradient across Oz is probably not too dissimilar to many parts of the US? Possibly similar tyre compounds.

That's what the Temperature/Wear letters are about. 

If it snapped out in the cold and wet (particularly on concrete) then yes, those are high mileage, hot weather  tires with a very hard compound and moderately inflexible sidewalls (particularly if they're over about 5 years old) which are great for doing 60 all day long in 40c weather on 90c concrete without blowing out, but they aren't a tire you can drive with vigor in the cold.

Get the bent bits fixed, a set of cold climate tires put on and you'll transform how that behaves. It should slide progressively after giving some warning that is going to. 

 

Phil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Wgl2019 said:

Don't forget Camskill which are often even cheaper again.......

Camskill don't fit tyres however which can sometimes make the discounted fit a better option. 

When I got tyres for the former @dollywobblerPrimera, I got Tyres on the Drive (a Halfords outfit) to fit the tyres for a 20% discount with the Blue Light Card. £54 a corner for Goodyear all seasons fitted. At home. Couldn't find cheaper than that for a decent tyre. And working up in the tops of the Pennines it seemed like a good idea. 

Like I said you're welcome to have the discount code if you like Ian. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PhilA said:

snapped out in the cold and wet (particularly on concrete)

Currently 16-20c in the UK at the moment. Not cold by UK standards but probably equivalent an Oz winter in some parts...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Currently 16-20c in the UK at the moment. Not cold by UK standards but probably equivalent an Oz winter in some parts...

The roads are different, driving style different. Wales particularly has wonderfully curved, twisting roads that undulate and challenge. 

Australia and America do their best to remove that in favor of straighter, flatter roads.

The car has a large engine but that's so it can turn slowly at high speed and do many miles quietly.

Profile that all in and that's why that combination of squishy suspension, hard tires and powerful engine never sold in the UK. It's unpredictable unless adapted.

So, glad nobody was hurt (pride aside), the metal can be replaced (that's the cost of &&&& happening) and you'll be able to go out another day and enjoy the car again. 

 

Just put some soft compound tires on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...