Jump to content

Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread


dollywobbler

Recommended Posts

coleman would indeed help with bits

https://coleman-milne.co.uk/aftercare/parts-acessories/

but after coupla mins google

navara and pathfinder oil filters fit

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384283222869?hash=item597910a355%3Ag%3AwRIAAOSwxfpg9gzl&fits=Year%3A2001|Model%3AFairmont|Make%3AFord

but easiest way is aussie ebay and cross ref all the numbers

do this for bikes and oil filter for bike 14 quid - same for honda acoord with same thread 3 quid

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, R1152 said:

 

To me it just looks like a big Mondeo? Same "Edge" styling.

Agreed, that's why I asked dolly on the channel if it was the Australian equivalent of the Mondeo but apparently its their equivalent of a Granada 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Agreed, that's why I asked dolly on the channel if it was the Australian equivalent of the Mondeo but apparently its their equivalent of a Granada 

But with rather more primitive running gear that's more 60s than 00s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad Betty is back :)

As others have said rustproof the hell out of it. I'd also get a decent aftermarket steering lock, never know with something "different" with a big engine if some scrote would fancy nabbing it for a laugh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Glad Betty is back :)

As others have said rustproof the hell out of it. I'd also get a decent aftermarket steering lock, never know with something "different" with a big engine if some scrote would fancy nabbing it for a laugh.

Agreed. What was that fancy treatment Ian took one of his cars for - was it the Favorit?

Can you still buy Waxoyl?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Agreed. What was that fancy treatment Ian took one of his cars for - was it the Favorit?

Krown. I got it done on the Jimny. Cost about £270 or so. I can't remember. Needs redoing now, it's been 2 years since I got it done. There's also Dinotrol, but I was quoted £700 ex vat for the Jimny so I would hate to see what the big ford would cost. 

Theres also Lanoguard which I've used on the Audi. There's a kit with a sprayer, so if you can get under it yourself it's well worth the £60 as your not paying someone to put on it. 

I'm a fan of the grease underseal rather than the Waxol type stuff as it'll never dry out and let water behind it. 

https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/products/lanoguard-vehicle-underbody-and-chassis-care-kit?variant=35508577173660&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_term=&utm_campaign=gs-2020-06-12&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&hsa_acc=4383920088&hsa_cam=10279486208&hsa_grp=102877763016&hsa_ad=441824329414&hsa_src=u&hsa_tgt=pla-963284074073&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl_SHBhCQARIsAFIFRVWEA87yFuZbW-78nO1eCsH4rvREd3jHNcftcYJ0Aw-rPtZQlJQqueMaAloJEALw_wcB

 

 

lanoguard-vehicle-underbody-and-chassis-care-kit-395009_900x.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I'm a fan of the grease underseal rather than the Waxol type stuff as it'll never dry out and let water behind it.

This. Anything that stays liquid and heals in the heat is the best. I used Bilt Hamber on the Micra and on the BX, as someone has waxoyled it in the past, I'm using chiainsaw chain oil thinned with motor oil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really good to see Betty. I missed the video yesterday due to excessive migraine but caught up this morning. I'll be sad to see the Fox go - a thorough clean up video of it would be interesting watching before you do sell!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

This. Anything that stays liquid and heals in the heat is the best. I used Bilt Hamber on the Micra and on the BX, as someone has waxoyled it in the past, I'm using chiainsaw chain oil thinned with motor oil.

I used Bilt Hamber stuff on my mini when it was welded up and repainted nearly 20 years ago and the wax is still soft and tacky, and most importantly not rusty now. Admittedly it is mostly kept in a garage, but as everyone knows a mini could happily corrode in the vacuum of deep space so it still gets my vote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the lack of replies. It's been a chaotic weekend, mostly involving packing T shirts! 

But just nipping for groceries was amazing today.

Sizewise, it's a lot like the LS400, so supermarket car parks are a bit tight for it. 

Note that the fog light is in the offside reverse lamp so we didn't have to fit a shitty external lamp.

 

 

 

IMG_20210725_124040.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Sorry for the lack of replies. It's been a chaotic weekend, mostly involving packing T shirts! 

But just nipping for groceries was amazing today.

Sizewise, it's a lot like the LS400, so supermarket car parks are a bit tight for it. 

Note that the fog light is in the offside reverse lamp so we didn't have to fit a shitty external lamp.

 

 

 

IMG_20210725_124040.jpg

thats such an awesome sight to behold! :) I love seeing Cars in places/settings no one would expect them to be in :) (which is one the reasons I love all the photos @Zelandeth has been posting of TPA in daily use)

I wonder looking at the rear number plate space, how she would look with a number plate that filled the entire space, as a nod to the Rover 75 she (sort of) replaced? :) 

 

on a side personal note, its fun to see how unknowingly "on the ball" i was with my previous comments in this thread!

  

On 13/07/2020 at 22:51, LightBulbFun said:
On 13/07/2020 at 22:39, dollywobbler said:

Which leaves me thinking. I'm sure I can engineer a way around this if I really wanted too, but do I want to? It's a lovely car, but perhaps a bit too nice for me really. Do I commit to long-term ownership or tick it off as an experience enjoyed right now? It has been a bit of an extravagance really, albeit a (mostly) enjoyable one.

is it still possible for you to run back to new zeland shouting "I have made a terrible mistake!" and buy back and import Betty the fairmont? (with money from selling the GSA?)

 

I mean just a few days after I left these comments she got her first UK MOT!

On 03/04/2021 at 00:30, LightBulbFun said:
On 02/04/2021 at 16:12, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, but I have no desire to really. I don't like the car enough to consider it. There are definitely things I like about it, but peak torque at 4800rpm is not one of them.

not too late to buy betty back and import her into the UK is it? :) 

(you seem to really really like that car and how it wafts so well, so seeing as you seem to be looking for something to waft around in currently, seems like she would be ideal :) )

 

On 03/04/2021 at 14:59, LightBulbFun said:
On 03/04/2021 at 14:49, dollywobbler said:

I did look into it, but really not a cheap option. Missing that car so much at the moment that I've been watching my old videos!

maybe if @hairnet's new Motorcycle will fit in the boot you can split the shipping costs? :mrgreen:

 

wonder if it worth doing a poll or something and seeing how many viewers would want to see Betty again and then maybe making a dedicated "import betty fund" option on your patron page or something such?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

 

I need to stop looking at the economy readout. Local pottering has her down to 20mpg. Still can't really believe she's here, even though cars get imported from far flung places all the time. Just feels weird, but lovely.

That's true, but how many owners over here have driven the car they've imported let alone bought before!!

My Saab 900 sometimes gets under 20mpg around town but what the hell, in your case you've got a Daewoo, 2CV, Invacar all to make up the difference with mpg 😄 Knew you liked it from the vids in New Zealand and the odd comments about getting it to the UK but many things lined up so it was possible, (being up for sale, Hubnutter who is an importer kind of thing etc)

Nice colour too, ideal sort of thing for going up and down the UK with entire family in comfort, no wonder you're grinning like a Cheshire cat 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting to see the "ferry" that Betty was transported on. I just thought the cars were transported solely in containers.

Everyday is a school day.

As for 20 mpg, not bad for a 4 litre petrol engined wafter. My 1.3 diesel Fiat has to be gently coaxed to get 45 mpg. I.know which of the two I'd rather have as a daily driver, and its not a diesel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dad's Hyundai Tucson did 14mpg. That was a 2.0 litre diesel. Obviously it had an issue, but as far as my dad was concerned if you've got the money then the mpg is irrelevant.

There is truth to that though, otherwise there'd be no market for huge rollers and Range Rover Sports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

If it has a MPG gauge then I challenge you Hubnut to get it into single figures!

It measures litres per 100km, so a bigger number is worse than a smaller one. Showing 15 at the moment, which is 18mpg. Probably not too dissimilar to the Mitsubishi Delica, but it has smoothness and performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

C6 is down to mid-20s around town in the winter, and that's running expensive diesel too (you have to buy the posh stuff, apparently, otherwise things explode, or something; Probably bollocks, but it's put the woolies up me now).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 08:37, beko1987 said:

Oh this is wonderful, nice one! Missed all this until this morning. 

Put Jaguar S-Type badges on the rear and confuse both boy racers and Ford pervs.... 

Fixed that for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, richykitchy said:

C6 is down to mid-20s around town in the winter, and that's running expensive diesel too (you have to buy the posh stuff, apparently, otherwise things explode, or something; Probably bollocks, but it's put the woolies up me now).

Yeah, it'll take a while to re-adjust after the thrifty C5. Gosh it's relaxing though. Had a lovely run out this afternoon to do some filming. MAJOR BOX TICKING!

E7Uul6eWYAIv_u1?format=jpg&name=small

I may have to get the tyres changed though. I know it's rain after a long dry period, so the roads are greasy, but it's practically impossible to pull away in the wet without wheelspin, which kicks the traction control in, which is dim-witted and basically just shut the throttle off entirely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, it'll take a while to re-adjust after the thrifty C5. Gosh it's relaxing though. Had a lovely run out this afternoon to do some filming. MAJOR BOX TICKING!

E7Uul6eWYAIv_u1?format=jpg&name=small

I may have to get the tyres changed though. I know it's rain after a long dry period, so the roads are greasy, but it's practically impossible to pull away in the wet without wheelspin, which kicks the traction control in, which is dim-witted and basically just shut the throttle off entirely. 

Link seems broken here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...