Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Could you part convert it to a camper van for shitefest, car shows etc? May offset the cost a bit? And just use it for towing and that. Keep it light like Joe does (cheap folding bed and remove all the seats prior to set off) 

Guess you need a people carrier for your missus's sproglets so can't perma convert it... Nice vauxhall Zafira? 

18 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Decided to farm out some work...

EcZ9y8uWkAckud4?format=jpg&name=small

Assessed for welding by a current Mitsu tech stroke 4x4 mechanic. Probably needs £200 of welding, but did confirm the steering rack is leaking, and the PAS pipes are shite generally. So, awaiting a full quote and hoping for the best. Overall, he seemed to reckon it was surprisingly good overall. Hoorah!

For his next video, Hubnut buys a cow.  

Took the GSA to the Field of Dreams last weekend, as some of you may have seen. Was a bit worried about chucking the kids in for a 200-mile jaunt, but they actually really enjoyed it, with no spewing!

EcwDTEXWoAEgKMX?format=jpg&name=small

That was the return leg, which we decided to do off-motorway. A rear window refused to wind up at one point, but that was swiftly solved and otherwise, the car ran perfect other than a stink of petrol at times. I suspect it's fuel tank sender or pipework that end, as it's worse under harsh acceleration, especially after filling up. I was deliberately not completely filling the tank, so no MPG figures for a while.

Other than wind noise, it's a real treat on a distance run, though crap around town. Queuing in Stratford on Avon (stupid idea! We didn't stay) was unpleasant, just because it isn't a nice car to drive slowly - transmission shunt and an engine that needs revs. It just won't potter along like a 2CV will (heavier flywheel for just two cylinders I guess). 

But, there is a fairly big problem. I know it was my first long drive in about six months, but my right knee (which does have a few pre-existing issues) was in absolute agony after about two hours of driving. The pic above is a stop necessary because I simply had to get out of the car.

Which leaves me thinking. I'm sure I can engineer a way around this if I really wanted too, but do I want to? It's a lovely car, but perhaps a bit too nice for me really. Do I commit to long-term ownership or tick it off as an experience enjoyed right now? It has been a bit of an extravagance really, albeit a (mostly) enjoyable one.

11 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Which leaves me thinking. I'm sure I can engineer a way around this if I really wanted too, but do I want to? It's a lovely car, but perhaps a bit too nice for me really. Do I commit to long-term ownership or tick it off as an experience enjoyed right now? It has been a bit of an extravagance really, albeit a (mostly) enjoyable one.

is it still possible for you to run back to new zeland shouting "I have made a terrible mistake!" and buy back and import Betty the fairmont? (with money from selling the GSA?)

24 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Do I commit to long-term ownership or tick it off as an experience enjoyed right now? It has been a bit of an extravagance really, albeit a (mostly) enjoyable one.

Sounds like it's time to hit the classifieds again.  As you say, the box has been ticked, but there's so much else to be enjoyed out there.  A low cost, big liability mile muncher perhaps?  Citroen C6...

Truthfully:?, i'd say move it on.

Once you know a car hurts you, you'll start avoiding using it for certain journeys and taking something else anyway.

Would be a different matter if it was a car that was really just a short hop type of car that you'd found caused an issue on longer journeys, but this is meant to be a long cruiser type, it's what it does, so really you'll only ever be using the car for what it's good at, to half its potential.

Then there's the financial side. It's clearly a nice example, but let's be honest, it will get to a point where the hydraulics start going, seals start weeping and rust scabs are becoming visible. As it is now, it's well worth strong money but when it gets to the above stage, it won't be.

If you are going to bail out, you're probably at the best point to do so on a really nice example.

14 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Truthfully:?, i'd say move it on.

Once you know a car hurts you, you'll start avoiding using it for certain journeys and taking something else anyway.

This. 

I experienced this when driving the Jimny from Central Scotland to Manchester, about 320 miles. After about 3 hours I was stopping every hour as it was doing my lower back in. It's just the seat, I've considered replacing them, suspect it's something to do with being 6'3" 

It was so bad for the last 2 hours I was watching the GPS like a hawk and seeing the miles drop. I was meant to drive it to Ireland to show the aul lad and at the 11th hour I figured I couldn't face it and swapped the ferry for the C5

I love the Jimny and have no idea what to do with it, keep flip flopping on selling it. 

Flip side is that I drove the Audi back from Devon and it was amazing, seats and suspension is wafty. The miles flew by and I was relaxed  and generally not a sore fella by home time.  

I bought a car off eBay once which had my (also knackered) right knee in pain after an hour or so of driving, due to the position of the accelerator pedal.  I can't immediately recall what car it was (there have been a few...).  I got around it by alternating legs, using my left foot to press the accelerator for a bit then switching back after my right leg had had a rest.

Either that or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rostra-250-1223-Universal-Cruise-Control-Kit-for-OLDER-CARS-3592-4165-Relay/251653258020?epid=10030647875&hash=item3a97b3fb24:g:miAAAOSw-dBTuZYa

Interior pics. It's a proper mish-mash inside, with a brown dashboard, upgraded with rev counter and digital clock, and beige door cards that were originally blue.
IMG_20200316_164755.thumb.jpg.c023f3e46eb0b36811bae624301fed1f.jpg
The speedo is amazing. If broken.
IMG_20200316_164739.thumb.jpg.c9a4e841dac4ccab6d685d4f600c2ac1.jpg
Revived four out of the six cars in storage today. CityRover and 2CV the only ones to start on their own. 2CV then helped Invacar and Tercel. Sadly, I can't publish pics without giving away where my unit is. 
2CV and CityRover booked in for MOTs on Wed and Fri respectively. Now need to find the logbooks so I can tax them...
I did have a slightly naughty drive in the Invacar.
I reckon I'm over 300 miles in the GSA now. There's a whistle from the clutch with pedal up, so may have a go at adjusting it tomorrow. I suspect there isn't enough free play and the thrust bearing is being leant on. Otherwise, loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the GSA box has been ticked. In fact as I mentioned to you when we met in Sydney, I had a hankering for an aircooled GS, but being 6ft 5in I think I might pass on that now. But what you have got me on now is a 2CV mission. With the GTV gone I have a space for a 2CV but the prices of them in Australia are pretty crazy! Happy to help source an AU falcon for you if you want and drive it up to Port Kembla to put on the ship to blighty!

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

But, there is a fairly big problem. I know it was my first long drive in about six months, but my right knee (which does have a few pre-existing issues) was in absolute agony after about two hours of driving. The pic above is a stop necessary because I simply had to get out of the car.

How about fitting after market cruise control so you can rest your leg from time to time.

Welcome to the committee of f**ked knees.

Depending on the knee problem, it can be resolved by either elevating or levelling the knee out. For me I found cars that raise the legs make it worse for me on long drives. Car's with seats that are flat, or allow my knee to be flat, don't aggravate the issue I have. 

Best thing to do really is look at your 2CV and how the chair is angled, then compare it to the GSA.  

1 hour ago, matara said:

I think the GSA box has been ticked. In fact as I mentioned to you when we met in Sydney, I had a hankering for an aircooled GS, but being 6ft 5in I think I might pass on that now. But what you have got me on now is a 2CV mission. With the GTV gone I have a space for a 2CV but the prices of them in Australia are pretty crazy! Happy to help source an AU falcon for you if you want and drive it up to Port Kembla to put on the ship to blighty!

Cheers. I am very tempted, and as much as I enjoyed Betty the Fairmont, I reckon it's possible to find a better one for lower cost in Aus. Definitely not ruling that option out.

I'm inclined to agree with the consensus to move it on. We know you'd wanted one for a long time and there was a specific reason for buying it this year (the big 50th birthday party in France) but that's disappeared now anyway, there's quite a lot of money tied up in it and it will need more spending sooner or later to keep it in its current good state. You've had some fun and it served you well through strange times so you can tick that box and move on to something new. You've still got Elly to fill the flat-engined Citroen role in the fleet.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. I am very tempted, and as much as I enjoyed Betty the Fairmont, I reckon it's possible to find a better one for lower cost in Aus. Definitely not ruling that option out.

Needs to be a V8 though.  Although the mental turbocharged straight 6 would be an acceptable alternative.

36 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Buy a volvo estate, replacing both the GSA and Delica in one move. All bases then covered, spend change on more chod

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I think that's an excellent idea a  240 or 740 would be perfect, it may however be too sensible for DW/Hubnut.

A Sentinel steam lorry would therefore seem the perfect replacement choice :) ?

59 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

I think that's an excellent idea a  240 or 740 would be perfect, it may however be too sensible for DW/Hubnut.

A Sentinel steam lorry would therefore seem the perfect replacement choice :) ?

I think @dollywobbler had a 740 a few years ago that he paid £150 for and apparently it was a pile of shit.