Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

On 2/10/2023 at 9:54 AM, Eyersey1234 said:

@dollywobbler a question regarding Betty if i may, what is the closest equivalent to her in the UK Ford range?

Absolutely nothing. The Falcon developed from the American platform, but drifted further and further away in isolation. Nothing mechanically shared with any Euro or American Ford. 

21 hours ago, N19 said:

Love the Capri video - OK, I'm biased (albeit at the opposite of the range) but felt it gave a good overview of the car and how driving one feels. Made me miss taking mine down winding B roads!

Thanks. That was such a hoot.

• 2 weeks later...

did not know you caught Covid. Wondered why there was not much new content from you.

Just hope it will not cause any health issue later. I have read that can happen. But then I have read on the subject a lot and most is not true.

I wondered why there were so many shorts appearing. on YT. Personally I am one of those that do not like them.  Just cannot get why someone would want to watcha few seconds then just to the next. That is something more for the TickWonkers. I am too old.

That Aixam has certainly been abused. It is no wonder  why there are a lot of electrical issues. If I recall the vehicle was from 2004. That is now 19 years old. A lot of cars would have been made into coke cans way before this. For such a cheaply made vehicle it is not doing so badly to have lasted so long.

I do think the commercial range is licence free. Here in Spain they are called sin permiso (without licence) you still need a class AM licence. Obtaining this allows anyone from the age of 15 to drive mopeds up to 50cc with two or three wheels and also light quadricycles ( weighing less than 350 kilos). To obtain that you need to pass a psychotechnical test then a practical test.

https://www.actualidadmotor.com/en/coches-sin-carnet/

• 1 month later...

Berlingo:The lumpiness at around 2K revs will be down to a outlet filter blockage.

106: screen wash issue is could be down to a broken washer pump. There is only one pump with a flow valve. Cheap ones are available but quality is the ultimate in crapness.

Hi @dollywobbler

Do you know if there are many red UK registered oltcits in the UK? I just saw one!

a quick Google image search throws up your old one which had been on fire. Interestingly the DVLA vehicle check shows it as MoT'd and taxed which is amazing given the state that it was in.

Screenshot_20230424-122252.thumb.png.80504c449fb1d32a400af009000fd4fb.png

I may have caught it on my dashcam, stand by for a poor image of it.

24 minutes ago, Blake's Den said:

Hi @dollywobbler

Do you know if there are many red UK registered oltcits in the UK? I just saw one!

a quick Google image search throws up your old one which had been on fire. Interestingly the DVLA vehicle check shows it as MoT'd and taxed which is amazing given the state that it was in.

I’d be very interested to know how it managed to get back on the road so quickly considering how rotten it was, mad props to the new owner if it’s genuinely been restored 

5 hours ago, Blake's Den said:

Hi @dollywobbler

A terrible capture from my dash cam:

Capture.thumb.JPG.42c647b486b1575a42f0751380eb47cd.JPG

The video from my dashcam. I've slowed it to half speed, the Oltcit is in the left hand lane coming up the hill.

I would say there's 0.00001% chance it's the same car. A possible scenario - owner has an Oltcit, not UK registered. UK-registered Oltcit is for sale at a scrappers. VIN plate, I mean, car is purchased. Robert becomes your dad's brother. Avoids the now more involved faff involved with importing a car. Just sayin' it might be possible.

53 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I would say there's 0.00001% chance it's the same car. A possible scenario - owner has an Oltcit, not UK registered. UK-registered Oltcit is for sale at a scrappers. VIN plate, I mean, car is purchased. Robert becomes your dad's brother. Avoids the now more involved faff involved with importing a car. Just sayin' it might be possible.

I was wondering/thinking exactly this,  because I had heard the fire damaged Oltcit had been sold from *Welsh spelling I am not going to even attempt* Car dismantlers a couple/few months back, which took me by pleasent surprise since as we have all seen it was pretty far gone

but as you say given how quickly its returned to the road, I have my doubts about it being the same car, I mean the current keeper has only had it since March 2023 according to the DVLA, so yeah that would be a speedy restoration!

and further to that its had quite the significant haircut...

image.thumb.png.6b5b15f67cd580e3f641cc2bbfd3357b.png

I do wish people would just do things properly, I mean its really not THAT hard to register an import with the DVLA it really only boils down to 3 things, a NOVA declaration  a suitably filled out V55/5 and a suitable proof of vehicle age (and then the usual Fees and MOT or V112 if exempt)

because ringing a car not only is it dodgy AF, but can cause a world of pain down the line for innocent parties when the DVLA catch up with it 

The comparison video of the Berlingo and Xsara Picasso. I would have thought a further comparison with the 307SW rather than the C5 would have been a nearer the mark.  The 307 has a lot more in common  with those two than the C5.

Those engine covers always break. The small rubber mounting is very weak. I made up my own mounts using the original rubber drilled for  a threaded bar running through it. Held down in location with wing nuts. It is much stronger.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:27 AM, Remspoor said:

The comparison video of the Berlingo and Xsara Picasso. I would have thought a further comparison with the 307SW rather than the C5 would have been a nearer the mark.  The 307 has a lot more in common  with those two than the C5.

Those engine covers always break. The small rubber mounting is very weak. I made up my own mounts using the original rubber drilled for  a threaded bar running through it. Held down in location with wing nuts. It is much stronger.

Only reason for mentioning the C5 is because we owned one, and it has the same engine. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Dutch meeting is a `play on words. A bit of an explanation on Elk Merk Waardig. This means Every brand is worthy. But merkwaardig means something like odd/curious/strange. There is no exact translation.

This is the official film from the meeting. @dollywobbler/hubnut has a fleeting appearance.

They have their own YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@ElkMerkWaardig

On 25/04/2023 at 18:46, LightBulbFun said:

I do wish people would just do things properly, I mean its really not THAT hard to register an import with the DVLA it really only boils down to 3 things, a NOVA declaration  a suitably filled out V55/5 and a suitable proof of vehicle age (and then the usual Fees and MOT or V112 if exempt)

Tend to agree, if this was 1980 and a different world, I say alright mate crack on if you must, it's where Del Boy's 'tax in the post' joke comes from - rules weren't as well enforced back then and depended on discretion, but in today's highly digitised and and regimented world, it just seems like biting your nose to spite your face. Then some people just can get away with bad karma. Not saying this is what has happened, but that would be my opinion should a similar situation arise ;-). 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:46 PM, dollywobbler said:

That was such an awesome day. Utterly overwhelming. Which is my excuse for the errors... Definitely needs more Autoshiters next year. It's about an hour from Hook of Holland.

https://youtu.be/cj-e1P9r2Og

Only watched the video now, what an amazing variety of cars. Even Fotu struggles to reach that level, I cannot believe they had a mint condition Eagle Premier there.

Also great to see you liked the Allante so much. I didn't know they started with the 4.1, I thought the 4.5 was the smallest/earliest you could get in them at the beginning. If you wanna test a Northstar powered Caddy, my DeVille would be available!

And yeah, the show seems worth it to get down there if combined with something else.

I am a bit disappointed with your last leg of the Dutch trip.

This is how the Dutch pronounce Schiedam. I am a Brit, and I too can not pronounce it like a Dutchman.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Nl-Schiedam.ogg

The lower speed limits in The Netherlands are for safety and emissions. Do not forget those county roads will have pedestrians and cyclist on them. The speed limit on these roads does vary.

The round circles in the roads are not mini roundabouts. There are no blue circle (with arrows signs) or the triangle warning signs. I think they are there for slowing traffic down.  A sort of fake hazard. I am sure @D.E can help us here.

You are correct you have to give way to traffic entering the road from the right. But there are exceptions. Like roundabouts. Your road has priority. The road on the right has a different classification. Normally that is defined when the pavement runs through the junction at the same level and no dropped kerb.

Schiedam is a great place to visit, small but ok. But like most cities in The Netherlands you have to pay. If you use the website/phone app by Parkopedia you can find where the free locations are and what you will have to pay, if there are no free parking spaces available. Select car parks or streets.

Seeing as you was in Rotterdam you should not have dismissed the newer architecture. The Dutch have some great buildings that are good examples of mid/late 20th architecture.  Despite being the counties second largest city has a great atmosphere too.

You also missed out by not shopping at a Jumbo or even a AH

28 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

The round circles in the roads are not mini roundabouts. There are no blue circle (with arrows signs) or the triangle warning signs. I think they are there for slowing traffic down.  A sort of fake hazard. I am sure @D.E can help us here.

This? Yeah they're not roundabouts. You'll find them in the middle of some junctions, and are meant to a. make motorists aware that it is a junction and b. to slow them down (usually these circles are slighty raised).

kruispunt.thumb.jpg.b9238ae55346a5913e4e18e75e0036a1.jpg

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

I am a bit disappointed with your last leg of the Dutch trip.

I'm disappointed too. It wasn't the day I hoped to have. I was utterly shattered having filmed about a fortnight's worth of content in three days. I'd been up the previous night editing until about 10pm and then not slept well because I'd eaten a load of shite instead of dinner because I was too tired to consider doing anything other than run around an Aldi. 

All this meant I failed to find Schiedam at all, got lost in Rotterdam - which I'd actually intended to avoid completely. I then failed to find anywhere to park (the one car park was blocked off as they were repairing the entrance barrier), couldn't really find anywhere to even just stop and have a think (you know that feeling when you seemingly can't react in time to grab a parking space?) and was getting increasingly fraught and hangry. Which is how I ended up in Hoek van Holland about six hours before my ferry was due to begin boarding. I ended up having a snooze in the back of the car, as I grew increasingly nervous about having to drive 300 miles back home the next day. (turns out that journey was an absolute doddle, so worrying about nothing).

But, there's a certain pressure to still put a video out about how the day went. Maybe I should have ignored that pressure. It isn't content I'm proud of.

Sorry to have such a lengthy reply, but your comments stung because they hit weaknesses I perceive myself in this one.

3 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

But, there's a certain pressure to still put a video out about how the day went. Maybe I should have ignored that pressure. It isn't content I'm proud of.

Sorry to have such a lengthy reply, but your comments stung because they hit weaknesses I perceive myself in this one.

You're producing free content, therefore any expectations should be "better than nothing" 

If someone's having a moan up, that's on them. Being expected to produce content on schedule, for free, is one thing, but to then moan about it afterwards is another! 

It's not a paid subscription, nobody is forced to watch it. If you don't like it, then switch it off and say no more. Continuing to watch it and then complain afterwards is just plain ridiculous in my opinion. There are just as many, if not more, people who still want to watch it and enjoy it. Don't let the harsh comments put you off

Not everything goes to plan, such is life!

@dollywobbler That explanation tells us a lot. Some of what you have written is not coming across in the video.  There is a lot of you putting yourself under pressure. I really had hoped you had put that behind you after the exhausting southern hemisphere trip.

I lived in The Netherlands and drive there often since I moved to Spain.  I have always found driving there to be a bit more stressful. You have to have  eyes in the back of your head at times. That cannot have helped the situation.

Oh I got suggested a video on how to erect an awning for a trailer tent and it was not yours.  How, even if you do not accept the cookies, does YT have some way of knowing what you have watched?

I am sorry @RoverFolkUs   I was also adding to some of the comments Ian made about road markings and having to missed out on some sights.