Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Always nice to see a car moving to the right home. The new owner of the Sana has put some videos out too. Including buying ANOTHER Sana...

In still-on-the-fleet news, after getting woefully stuck on ice with the electric Fiat I'm testing, today I relied on my own cars for gadding about.

Fairmont was first up.

Fj3BRatX0AIh6v2?format=jpg&name=small

If the arse looks saggy, that's because it is packed full of groceries and had just had the tank filled (143.9 - huzzah!). It does need a suspension overhaul next year though. All that weight certainly helped in that icy car park! No traction issues.

The other steed was the Berlingo.

Fj3tlXmX0AAdNM1?format=jpg&name=small

Utterly joyous to drive on snow and ice, even on summer tyres. The low power output is easily adjusted once wheelspin kicks in on inclines, and the ABS-less brakes are progressive and easily controlled. Marvellous. ABS still optional on these, and the facelift ones apparently!

Not a fat lot else happening, but the Berlingo did tow the camper to the unit yesterday, somehow, up the same icy incline. Momentum was the key! Camper finally indoors. It's too bloody cold for anything else. Thankfully warmer weather on the way from the weekend, but we have family visiting, meaning precious little tinkering time. Doesn't feel like much point rushing when it's bloody winter though.

Still remember that the first thing I had to do in my Pug 107 once we had anything like a dusting of snow was to pull the ABS fuse.  It was just absolutely lethal otherwise.  I still reckon something was amiss with the ABS system on that car as it always seemed way too sensitive to me.

2 hours ago, Wibble said:

Congratulations to you both, great news!

for those a little bit out of context! (espically as its on the Hub notes secondary channel!)

and of course also massive congratulations @dollywobbler and Mrs @dollywobbler!

I really hope TWC is going to be part of the wedding Ceremony, especially as you could unbolt the roof and stand up inside, :mrgreen:

or Borrow TPA from @Zelandeth and have His and Hers Invacars for the wedding? :) 

no? Just me? LOL

guess all the pressure of everyone saying Marry each other on all the live streams finally got to yall? :mrgreen:

Congratulations! I’d make a joke about using the Berlingo as a wedding car but I remember at my Aunt and Uncles wedding we used my mums Citroen Xsara Picasso as transportation for the happily wedded couple - complete with ribbons tied from the grille to the door mirrors!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.8d0068099bbc01affff1441d5302bb64.png

image.thumb.png.bdf441c6e0f17abf7feff432473f567e.png

thats why @dollywobbler Driving lessons in Central London are 2 hours long because, in an hour as you sort of say, you would literally never get anywhere!

even with 2 hours, during my time taking lessons we would sometimes run out of time by the time we got to the area we wanted to practice whatever it was for that lesson, and just have to turn back around!  

its where I learnt the satisfaction and frustration of being stuck in a traffic jam, suddenly FINALLY traffic speed picks up and your able to shift into 2nd Gear Woo! thats the satisfying part, then only for traffic to block up again! LOL  "ah so much for that! back to crawling along in 1st" the frustrating part!

or if you got really unlucky the speed of traffic was right between 1st and 2nd gear, so really had to row back and forth LOL

be glad you took the smooth automatic! although I personally still want to see what its like to take a 2CV through London, and how it compares to my time driving a 2CV round the FoD!  :) 

I still maintain that anyone who lives in London and drives needs to consider the reasons.

It isn't cos you like driving. Or performance. Or moving.

If I lived there, which will be over my dead body - same as any large town or city - I wouldn't even own a car, I'd hire one on the rare occasion that I needed one.

The comments about the 1.6 R series engine.
I find it odd that this engine is  despised so much. At the time this engine and car was more than a match for the XR3 in speed and in refinement.  The MG had four doors too.

I know that when first realised the engine in the MG suffered from hot stating issues. I had a kit (basically a rejet) of the weber cars. After the manufacture's fit gave no issues. The kit seems to have been largely forgotten about.  The use of the two twin choke carbs meant that the car really had one choke per cylinder. The noise that they made when opened up was encouraging.

I hated the VW gearbox as it was very notchy. I even went to a VW dealer to try one  in a Golf. The issues must be down to the linkages in the Maestro as the VW installation, whilst not that slick was vastly better. BL never did resolve this. The MG used the close ration version of the VW gearbox. This suited the low end flixabilty.

My MG started to rust after just nine months. Again manufacture took on repair work. I had this car for around 4 years and I doubt if it would have lasted long after I sold it because of rust.

The fitment of the original dash was perhaps not the best. However, it did allow easy access to the cluster. Not that I could do anything with it because it was computerised.

The review forgot to mention the headlamp design which was a first for any car.

I thought that all MGs came with red seat belts as standard. When did the wheels change as I thought that all EFIs came with those different to the 1.6 cheese graters?

12 hours ago, Remspoor said:

I find it odd that this engine is  despised so much. At the time this engine and car was more than a match for the XR3 in speed and in refinement.  The MG had four doors too.

I know that when first realised the engine in the MG suffered from hot stating issues. I had a kit (basically a rejet) of the weber cars. After the manufacture's fit gave no issues. The kit seems to have been largely forgotten about.  The use of the two twin choke carbs meant that the car really had one choke per cylinder. The noise that they made when opened up was encouraging.

I hated the VW gearbox as it was very notchy. I even went to a VW dealer to try one  in a Golf. The issues must be down to the linkages in the Maestro as the VW installation, whilst not that slick was vastly better. BL never did resolve this. The MG used the close ration version of the VW gearbox. This suited the low end flixabilty.

My MG started to rust after just nine months. Again manufacture took on repair work. I had this car for around 4 years and I doubt if it would have lasted long after I sold it because of rust.

The fitment of the original dash was perhaps not the best. However, it did allow easy access to the cluster. Not that I could do anything with it because it was computerised.

I thought that all MGs came with red seat belts as standard. When did the wheels change as I thought that all EFIs came with those different to the 1.6 cheese graters?

Linkage is completely different in the Montego/Maestro to the Golf. There are numerous bushes that build up slop. Also although it is a VW box it had different syncros to the VW applications which didnt help the gear change either.

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

I am a wee bit confused. Are you saying that the gears inside the box were special to BL?

I'm not sure on the whole gear set being different but the synchros were reportedly different and that contributed to the bad gear change.

23 hours ago, Remspoor said:

EFi's still had 14 inch round Shreddies for two more years so newest were D reg (pre-October '86). For the 1987MY, alloys became optional. The new alloys (where fitted) were a plainer, flatter face design similar to the Montego GSi. The cross-spokes came in from October '88.

13 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

I'm not sure on the whole gear set being different but the synchros were reportedly different and that contributed to the bad gear change.

That seems like a total waste of manufacturing costs. So little of these 'boxes were produced. Even the estimated number of MGs planned to be produced was low.