Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

1 hour ago, N19 said:

Will the new Sirion be a keeper? Is it intended to help with Miss HN learning, or is the Charade planned for that?

Hard to say. It really doesn't actually fit a requirement of the fleet. None of the family want to learn to drive in it because it's an auto. As the Charade project is dragging so much, we are contemplating swapping to the Berlingo. Depends if someone 4ft8 can drive it...

Entirely ghosted by the chap who was having the spares Oltcit, so it's awaiting collection by the local scrappy. At least they'll give folk the chance to nab bits off it before it is baled, though the market for Oltcit parts is not a particularly large one. 

Now getting stuck into yet another engine change on the 2CV. Two hours from bonnet off to new engine in, but thwarted by iffy wiring and I'd left my new wiring bundles at home. In theory, connect a couple of wires, fit starter, connect fuel, NOISE. Hopefully tomorrow.

5 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Entirely ghosted by the chap who was having the spares Oltcit, so it's awaiting collection by the local scrappy. At least they'll give folk the chance to nab bits off it before it is baled, though the market for Oltcit parts is not a particularly large one. 

shame I am/your not local! id happily have come round with a screw driver and relieved it of what eastern block lightbulbs remain within :) 

2 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Thats a shame he ghosted you, aah well his loss.

I don't understand why people do things like this.

Surely a quick message to say "Sorry - something's come up, I can't go through with the sale - hey let me send you £20 for the hassle/fuel wasted - apologies" would, for most of us, result in a sigh/rolled eyes, but certainty and an ability to do something else.

Farewell.20221104_131422.thumb.jpg.c2beea28bd25052eb9805005a97d8eb0.jpg

Peeing petrol all over the truck, dropping rust flakes everywhere. Poor thing. I fear all I did in taking it on was delay the inevitable, but it did provide some useful bits for the good Oltcit to be fair.

But that's me hopefully out of hopeless projects now. Pending actually getting hold of Daihatsu parts...

Preparations for the NEC Classic Motor Show are going well*.

Fg-EuUAXEAAMZJl?format=jpg&name=large

That is not where the exhaust should be. I was replacing some particularly iffy-looking exhaust mounts (bought replacements in January...) when a weak bit of exhaust (MOT advisory) just snapped off. New exhaust ordered and should be here Wednesday. We drive to the NEC on Thursday. Also, my co-driver has broken a rib...

On the plus side, I've been loaned an engine to get the 2CV back on the road and it's AMAZING to have it back. So much better than the clattering, knackered engine I took out. Will do a postmortem on that but something crankshafty is broken.

26 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Preparations for the NEC Classic Motor Show are going well*.

Fg-EuUAXEAAMZJl?format=jpg&name=large

That is not where the exhaust should be. I was replacing some particularly iffy-looking exhaust mounts (bought replacements in January...) when a weak bit of exhaust (MOT advisory) just snapped off. New exhaust ordered and should be here Wednesday. We drive to the NEC on Thursday. Also, my co-driver has broken a rib...

On the plus side, I've been loaned an engine to get the 2CV back on the road and it's AMAZING to have it back. So much better than the clattering, knackered engine I took out. Will do a postmortem on that but something crankshafty is broken.

really awesome to see the 2CV is back in action :) 

3 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Wasn't the engine in there fairly new, with the big bore upgrade?

the Big bore piston/barrels where new (well freshly removed from an engine they where just fitted too which also broke LOL)

but the base engine itself they where fitted too that has just been removed, was a spares unit of unknown history that had been kicking about for yonks fitted in a rush to get it all ready for the Croatia trip! :)  

On 02/11/2022 at 21:17, N19 said:

I don't understand why people do things like this.

I think younger folk call this being 'left on read' in the dating world. I.e. they've read your message but haven't responded. A peculiarity that electronic communication has really created. When someone doesn't respond to a written letter you can at least say, oh well lost in the post, but these days you tend to know the exact second someone looked at your missive. 

On 05/11/2022 at 07:20, dollywobbler said:

Pending actually getting hold of Daihatsu parts...

Amayama.com is your friend, look up Toyota duet and there is stacks of stuff. I have an m101 sirion and there is very little I can't get 

Also, if you have part numbers, try AliExpress.com too. Cheaper too, and not slow for delivery

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Tried Amayama, 'found' the gaskets in the UAE, ordered them, a few days later, order cancelled as they didn't actually have stock. Marvellous.

I always ordered bits from Japan, takes a couple of days longer to arrive but always right and always have the correct stock,

Aye,  Amayama are good, if in stock, brake disc shields for my Charade were available and then afterwards not, sills for my 626 are available and then found the postage was over £500 lol....

Also I discovered some new old stock shock absorbers for my 626 in the UAE and surprisingly enough they fulfilled the order, and it was fast too via fleabay 

For rare parts (ie nearly everything with the Charade) the likes of Autodoc were good but noticing parts I bought are now coming up out of stock and of course won't ever be, especially suspension parts and gaskets, getting to the point of buying them up anyway for the future  but countries where the model was popular is a good place to start, Germany for me with the Charade and 626 but do see parts from Greece, no idea why there, Japan not much good as the G100 Charade didn't go down a storm, especially the GTti/GTxx

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers. The little Austin was terrifying! Especially when some old giffer almost drove into me. 

Fi1nhNqXEA0pwlM?format=jpg&name=small

Wish I had some fleet news, but other than a very pleasant drive to Shropshire in the Fairmont, not much has been occurring. Did wash the Fairmont after that mucky trip. It was doing  23.5mpg.

Fi1nu0mXEA8g-JW?format=jpg&name=small

Photograph BEFORE the wash. Our local gets stupidly foamy.

First car of the day was a delightful Zastava 750 currently for sale at Brightwells.

Fi1nNDQXECcuoHD?format=jpg&name=small

Fiat 500e is great as part of a drive full of cars. I managed to borrow one for a week earlier in the year and enjoyed having it very much.

I charged it from the 3 pin house plug, but it did takes hours. I couldn't tolerate having to work around external charging sites and ended using it for shorter journeys only. I recon it had a 145 mile range, but was not comfortable dropping below 40 miles left.

Don't bother with a cabriolet the air pressure buffering above 40 mph was intolerable.

The big no-no was the cost even as a VAT registered business user on lease.

IMG_20220315_123947 broad.jpg

I have a Kona electric, with a 7.5 KW charger on the wall, it works well.

But here in rural Norfolk, forget about running one on public infrastructure.

It's the small battery, about 190 miles range. perfect as a daily - but you still need the diesel wagon for towing/load lugging/long distance.

I just can't imagine a 400 mile drive, with at least 2 stops - more if you only take it to 60/70% to avoid waiting hours for it to ... Or take a ICE machine and stop only if you need a wee.

I really like the EV, but it can't be an only car unless you like planning... Like a lot.

Yea, for there to be any benefit at all, it needs to see regular use. The bASe vehicle we have was over £30k otr.

Honestly, if Mrs Sham isn't using it or won't need it... It's my go to machine unless I have an actual need for the estate car.