Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

3 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Really liked this public information video. I think the government should have you on TV adverts rather than whatever wonk they’ve got planned to inform us!

You could reach dizzying heights of fame such as that of Howard from Halifax! 

Cheers. I managed to entirely forget about motorbikes, and mostly, the comments seem to be complaining about cyclists. Despite the fact that three car drivers tried to kill me yesterday (piss poor overtake attempts) and zero cyclists...

I had to drive about 380 miles in the GSA yesterday, which taught me two things. 

1) I'm not sure I can think of any other 1.3-litre car from the 1980s that would be so good for long distances. Especially given this one really dates from 1970. 

2) Headlamp and wiper technology has improved IMEASURABLY since this car was built. It was lovely until it got dark and wet.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. I managed to entirely forget about motorbikes, and mostly, the comments seem to be complaining about cyclists. Despite the fact that three car drivers tried to kill me yesterday (piss poor overtake attempts) and zero cyclists...

I had to drive about 380 miles in the GSA yesterday, which taught me two things. 

1) I'm not sure I can think of any other 1.3-litre car from the 1980s that would be so good for long distances. Especially given this one really dates from 1970. 

2) Headlamp and wiper technology has improved IMEASURABLY since this car was built. It was lovely until it got dark and wet.

As I live in Cambridge, I’m used to cars knowing what to do around cyclists and generally they behave pretty sensibly. However, on the few occasions I’ve cycled on the road elsewhere in the UK, it was quite apparent that the drivers just had no idea what to do so “ploughing on” seemed to be the default choice. I think Southend was the worse and I really was close to just getting off and putting my racer through a guys window there. Taking the bike to Newcastle on the train was also an eye opener— I’d forgotten what hills were!

I also use to do occasional mega miles in my Mk. 1 BX with the suitcase engine— it was pretty sublime for the job. 

What sort of headlight bulb connectors does your GS have? H4? If so, there are relay loom adapters that you can easily wire in that have made a massive difference on restoring the full voltage to the bulbs on my BXs and made them much brighter. They probably exist, or can be easily adapted to whatever plug the GS has. Add in Philips Racing Vision or Osram Nightbreakers and you may find a huge improvement (beware of fakes though !) 

For example: MagiDeal H4 Headlight Headlamp Light Bulb Relay Wiring Harness Socket Plug Wire Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZCXDT3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_5KJEST64GF3P5JW3EGYH

• 3 months later...

Liking the new Blingo @dollywobbler

Hope it serves you well, proves you can't go far wrong with a practical French diesel, don't get rid of this one 😅

Had a feeling you were about to buy one when you did the review that N/a diesel berlingo and you got the better engine for it, helps keep the milage off Betty and save money at the same time with the price of fuel. 

2 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I think that should prove to be a decent buy, and £750 for what's basically a van with 8 months MOT can't be sniffed at. I'm sure you'll do alright out of it

Going by prices I've seen berlingos go for it'll still be worth £750 in 8 months with no mot. Hopefully you'll at least break even after having transport for a while. 

Equally throw money at it and it'll probably last forever. Ideal for collecting engines and stuff too 

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. It's a decent slab of Autoshite for sure. 

20220518_111452.jpg

It seems odd to me that its not a modern car but its about the same age as Barefoots Scirocco was when I bought it back in 2008, which was pure Autoshite at the time. 

Can't quite get my head round it. Times become a bit skewed as I've got older. Possibly a black hole or too many drugs as a youth? 

10 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. It's a decent slab of Autoshite for sure. 

20220518_111452.jpg

Oh man I saw you bought a Berlingo but I didn’t realise it was prefacelift and everything. That’s lovely, right down to the slightly almost not quite matching wheels!

Drop links wearing out quickly is very PSA. Easy and cheap to change.

Common engine issues are the Duel mass fly wheel (with that sort of mileage) may be due for a change very soon. FAP (particulate filter) can also be problematic.

Other than that these engines are reliable.

These engines came in many power outputs and that can complicate issues when ordering spares.

Who is going to tell Miss HN that you do not really need twin plugs for towing a caravan?

17 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Drop links wearing out quickly is very PSA. Easy and cheap to change.

Common engine issues are the Duel mass fly wheel (with that sort of mileage) may be due for a change very soon. FAP (particulate filter) can also be problematic.

Other than that these engines are reliable.

These engines came in many power outputs and that can complicate issues when ordering spares.

Who is going to tell Miss HN that you do not really need twin plugs for towing a caravan?

Won't have a dual mass flywheel on a 90, will be a solid flywheel

nor will it have a FAP

8 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Won't have a dual mass flywheel on a 90, will be a solid flywheel

nor will it have a FAP

Only 90? I thought being a load hauler it would be at least 110. Thanks for the information.

Berlingos of that era have been on my list for practical do everything dailys for a while, but agree as said in the vid, the prices have just gone mental on them. £750 for yours is honestly a steal. Might not feel like it but it is in the current market. You won't lose a penny on it.

They start at about double that in my neck of the woods. And they are rotten. and i mean ROTTEN. Every single one of them has fucked sills or the rear axel has collapsed.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Only 90? I thought being a load hauler it would be at least 110. Thanks for the information.

My 2002 110 xsara has neither a dmf or a fap and I'm always grateful to it for that! The interior still rattles less when held on the bite pont as my Laguna 2 manual with knackered DMF did 😂

If it's clattery at idle a new camshaft pulley quietened mine down immensely. Runs like a really shit sewing machine now 👍

4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

My 2002 110 xsara has neither a dmf or a fap and I'm always grateful to it for that! The interior still rattles less when held on the bite pont as my Laguna 2 manual with knackered DMF did 😂

If it's clattery at idle a new camshaft pulley quietened mine down immensely. Runs like a really shit sewing machine now 👍

The engine designation for PAS engines is quite confusing.  Like a DW1 designation all have differing numbers to denote various states of tune. Even the commonly quoted BHP like 110 is not the real output. I fear we could get sucked down a rabbit hole.

Yeah, Kitch owns the Fox. I helped him collect it. I do not need another!

Toyota is still here, but has been sold to the chap who has a pair of cylinder heads for it. Decided that was better than me battling to fix a car this complex, that I don't need and which is ruinously expensive on fuel. I already have a ruinously expensive on fuel barge! (which hasn't moved for over a week now...)

Yugo Sana has gone, to the second person to express an interest in it. Expect a video on YouTube (FuelPower) tonight. Charade edging closer to having an engine again, 2CV awaiting a replacement engine because the crank has gone, Invacar working but transmission sounds absolutely awful, Oltcits awaiting their turn after all this, GSA away for paint, Matiz running like crap but still in occasional use. Have a set of injectors to try.

12 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Invacar working but transmission sounds absolutely awful,

is the transmission or the diff? as it was the later that was full of oily water IIRC!

I wonder if its finally time to fit the gearbox/diff you pulled from TPA to TWC? (although I seemed to recall you said that TPA's gearbox was jammed in gear or such? not a complex gearbox tho so maybe fixable?)

or well if its just the diff thats the issue, you could probably raid a Fiat 500 or Fiat 126 for something suitable :) 

can you get a LSD for a Fiat 500?  fit one to TWC just to show the Fairmont what its missing out on LOL

if nothing else I wonder if it worth doing a gearbox and diff oil change to just see what the state of the oil is, if its full of glitter or not might tell you if something is about to go pop or if its safe to drive and just ignore the noise?