Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Just now, AxWomble said:

I’m struggling to work out how the old heater matrix was holding this system together - maybe it was releasing little blobs of k-seal every so often which were continually sealing up the HG? 😂 

Replacing the heater matrix involved draining a significant amount of coolant, which had to be replaced and diluted the K-seal to the point where it was no longer effective.

Just now, wuvvum said:

Replacing the heater matrix involved draining a significant amount of coolant, which had to be replaced and diluted the K-seal to the point where it was no longer effective.

That makes a lot of sense. I’ve not actually used k-seal or similar yet so I wasn’t quite sure on the technology involved 

49 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Denying fault does not matter. Dealer is responsible for any fault that develops after sale for duration of warranty. Legally I think they carry the can for 6 months, not that they like to advertise the fact.

Unlikley DW would get beaten up. He is a popular YT'ber. Any car dealer with two brain cells to rub together isn't going to want to get the bad publicity.

Given DW has been sold a lemon, if dealer won't refund or fix, then they should be named.

so he won’t get any grief because he’s on youtube. riiiiiiight.  maybe the trader took the car in from an auction and didn’t put it through an extensive 2500 mile testing regime. maybe being an adult about it and refreshing our latin might be a good idea. caveat emptor and all that. why does everything have to be someone else’s fault all the time? 

it’s an old car bought as what I can gather as a distress purchase. surprise surprise it didn’t work out. i simply don’t understand why fixing it properly and saying shit happens isn’t an option. 

K seal is ok for something on it's last legs.

£2k is a lot of money to spend on something that has a major issue.

I'd be taking it back. Given the way most shops are these days I would be surprised if anybody would want to do a head gasket swap.

Shame because it looks a great car.

8 minutes ago, Yank Tank said:

so he won’t get any grief because he’s on youtube. riiiiiiight.  maybe the trader took the car in from an auction and didn’t put it through an extensive 2500 mile testing regime. maybe being an adult about it and refreshing our latin might be a good idea. caveat emptor and all that. why does everything have to be someone else’s fault all the time? 

it’s an old car bought as what I can gather as a distress purchase. surprise surprise it didn’t work out. i simply don’t understand why fixing it properly and saying shit happens isn’t an option. 

Buyer beware. Absolutely. 

And I'm a grown up, so don't spend my time blaming others for something I am responsible for.

But.

Dealer sold the car knowing it had the fault. 

Legally dealer is on the hook.

Morally dealer is on the hook, as they sold it faulty and didn't disclose it.

1 hour ago, loserone said:

You said earlier that you suspected it had radweld or something in it.  

I'm not sure I would...

It looks like a good car and well worth some effort

This. He clearly likes the car and it's a rare survivor. It's not as if there are forecourts rammed with mid 90s Camrys to replace this one with.

Where else are you going to find another unusual load-lugger with all the toys and which will keep the YT fans entertained?

Why don't one of you kind fellows take it back on Ian's behalf?

99.5% certain the dealer will not give a shiny shite about fostering any moribund motor on an unsuspecting customer. 

100% certain the dealer will be full fat lock-stock with 2 phat fucks backing him up.

He's probably changed name and premises a hundred times because he can.

No good will come of this course of action.

Anyway, I hate to see this happen. The price of it means it is too good just to stick some snake oil in but expensive enough to make the impending repair bill no doubt very painful.

I've been fleeced myself this year although it was only a non functioning boot, nothing like this issue. Nevertheless the car was too much money to just bin. There was no option but to chalk it down to experience and move on.

Ian, I hope you have better automotive luck in 2022.

7 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Buyer beware. Absolutely. 

And I'm a grown up, so don't spend my time blaming others for something I am responsible for.

But.

I may have missed something so apologies if I did. how do you know the dealer sold it knowing it had the fault? I may have missed a video or some evidence or something. it may well have been the previous owner who caked it up to limp it through a part ex 

I’d like to add to my previous comment, now that I’ve watched the video - you clearly like the car, and looking into the dealer further, I doubt you’ll get anywhere in that direction. Fix, farm it out, have a fabulous, desirable and reliable car at the end of it, which you will enjoy for w good while to come. 

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, looks pretty sure it's got a gasket on the way out. I'm thinking Steel Seal is worth a go.

Have had many cars with cool vents, but you've always been able to turn them off! I suspect a flap or servo motor is stuck.

God no. Get some/do some proper checks first.

Got a infra red thermometer? 

Got a sniff tester?

Got a pressure tester?

Got a sense of taste/smell?

How far from Bewdley? 

In no particular order. 

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Still doesn't hurt to phone and ask though.

Worse case, if polite, you get a feck off and the phone hung up.

True enough - first port of call should be this. I suspect threats of poor reviews don’t really work with this chap so nicey-nicey is probably the way to go! 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, Mrcento said:

A big, wafty Jap auto estate that just 'works' mechanically to get to and from the unit, run errands etc, lug parts etc, isn't a terrible choice.

pretty much right up there in terms of bulletproofness.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:33 PM, St.Jude said:

Yeah, but it never quite works out like that somehow.

my calendar contribution for december. sometimes it is just better to think stuff and not actually say it 

47 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

True enough - first port of call should be this. I suspect threats of poor reviews don’t really work with this chap so nicey-nicey is probably the way to go! 

If he videos himself phoning the guy the resulting upload should get a few more views...

How many YouTube views are needed to pay for a headgasket replacement?

Consumers Rights Act 2015, every trader knows it by heart.  Within  6 months a major, undisclosed fault is the sellers problem.  Within 30 days you can even force the refund part of the refund, repair or replace remedy..  Dodgy dealer with a known fluidity in names, selling a 25 year old car?  Weigh up if life is too short and the yt content will balance it all out.

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Legality is an unwelcome and easily avoided stranger to a dealer who operates in a morality free zone.

15 minutes ago, colino said:

Consumers Rights Act 2015, every trader knows it by heart.  Within  6 months a major, undisclosed fault is the sellers problem.  Within 30 days you can even force the refund part of the refund, repair or replace remedy..  Dodgy dealer with a known fluidity in names, selling a 25 year old car?  Weigh up if life is too short and the yt content will balance it all out.

Hands around necks and rolling around on a forecourt with a roided up no-mark, perhaps may not be the direction he wishes to take the brand.

Thing is he didn't buy it from Evans Halshaw or Arnold Clark ( not that I'm holding either up as reputable..) he bought it from a meat head with a bad reputation who turned the heater up on tbe test run..

Going back to them will sort nothing nor will trying to sue etc. A kicking is a more likely outcome than recompense..

Best option imo is suck it up chalk it up to experience and sort it out himself.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, looks pretty sure it's got a gasket on the way out. I'm thinking Steel Seal is worth a go.

A Toyota is a reliable car, when looked after. Even if it's not been looked after, a gentle hand to remedy it's failings can often see it right.

If the head gasket is gone, just fix it properly. Don't bother with this bullshine of chemicals to fix a fundamental material failure. I mean the NHS doesn't prescribe a potion to clear the arteries when a stent is the only way to go.

But life is too short, and it's shorter when you own half of the cars found in Wales. If its a dealer, throw it back to them. If a credit card was used, even better.

If not, well you either lawyer up, sell it, or fix it. But for the love of God just don't bother with that steel seal stuff.

16 minutes ago, Sheefag said:

Legality is an unwelcome and easily avoided stranger to a dealer who operates in a morality free zone.

Hands around necks and rolling around on a forecourt with a roided up no-mark, perhaps may not be the direction he wishes to take the brand.

If he wants to return the Camry then as long as the dealer is in the North West then I know some lads DW could take with him to ensure a full refund is obtained.

I've never known anyone with car knowledge have such a poor run with car buying.

Are you just buying with the heart and not head? Buying an old car where the seller turns the heater to full for no apparent reason on a test drive and it has signs of leaking coolant...

Well, let's just say I'd have walked away if it was up for half as much.

Anyway - if I was in the position you find yourself, I suspect I'd just pay someone to put it right. Dealer is obviously dodgy as a dodgy thing, playing dodgeball dishonestly.

20 minutes ago, Sham said:

I've never known anyone with car knowledge have such a poor run with car buying.

It's called hoovies garage and is extremely successful. Watching others misery is entertainment, that's how much of TV works and it still does with YT. You just need to know how to monetize it.