Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 2cvspecial said:

DW saw this and thought of Rachel and her Nippa , sorry to hear that Rachel's Nippa died .facebook.com/marketplace/item/393934399105408/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

oh and here's another ! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324836218314?hash=item4ba1bf55ca:g:JzcAAOSwnaFhbGIq

16 hours ago, richardmorris said:

master and slave replacement on my x1/9. Much, much, and then even more pumping and bleeding before any pressure got back to the pedal. 

X1/9s are renowned for this issue.  I found the combination of an eezy-bleed running and a firm stamp on the pedal worked well.  The pipe is quite large-bore from the master to the slave, so it can be hard to get bubbles to actually travel along it sometimes.  The fact that my slave cylinder leaked a little and I often forgot about it until I'd run out of fluid meant I was very familiar with this....

The main issue with the Multipla is that LHD was engineered for a cable clutch, so the hydraulics were not given a terribly large amount of thought. The clutch master is located beneath the brake master, which means the best approach is to remove the brake master first. Which you can see, but not easily access. Given the other issues on that car (knackered rear arm bearings, needs a timing belt, gearbox still likely knackered, rust present on the underside), I can't say I'm particularly motivated to sort it. 

Especially now the Fairmont is back in action. The Multipla may have been expensive for the one trip it ended up doing (Devon), but probably cheaper than a train for four people, and a lot easier! Hopefully I can sell it and reclaim some of the outlay.

Forgive me if this is out of order, but I'm of the opinion that the family daily should be sensible and reliable. Any estate from 2010ish onwards would be great and should require only routine maintenance.

Don't you have enough interesting and slightly problematic cars to tinker on without your daily being in need of constant attention as well.

Just buy a Mondeo/Octavia/Accord/Legacy for £2-3k and go places in it. Tinker with interesting cars, and not a diesel MPV.

Anyway, that's just me.

7 minutes ago, Sham said:

Forgive me if this is out of order, but I'm of the opinion that the family daily should be sensible and reliable. Any estate from 2010ish onwards would be great and should require only routine maintenance.

Don't you have enough interesting and slightly problematic cars to tinker on without your daily being in need of constant attention as well.

Just buy a Mondeo/Octavia/Accord/Legacy for £2-3k and go places in it. Tinker with interesting cars, and not a diesel MPV.

Anyway, that's just me.

How dare you come on to Autoshite and speak sense!

BURN THE HERETIC!

I can see exactly where Sham is coming from.

The idea of a daily is to provide a hassle free way of getting to and from the other projects you have on the go. Having a daily that's more demanding than the actual projects themselves is as stress relieving as kneeling on a three pin plug.

You don't need the hassle of having to make do and mend on a car that should be just "an car" in the background. 

It may not be very "Hub Nut" having a boring family daily driver but constant headaches and frustrations cannot be very "Hub Nut" for you either?

Chop it off at the knees, get a boring but reliable daily that folks are not interested in seeing and focus your valuable time tinkering and reviewing cars / content that you actually enjoy and get a buzz from.

6 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

A C5 estate would really please a certain member of the HubNut family. 

That particular one has got a lot of love an attention off a member of the Citroen Club, have a look at their Facebook group. Far more than I could afford to at the time and it didn't end up in a recycling centre. Win win. 

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

The main issue with the Multipla is that LHD was engineered for a cable clutch, so the hydraulics were not given a terribly large amount of thought. The clutch master is located beneath the brake master, which means the best approach is to remove the brake master first. Which you can see, but not easily access. Given the other issues on that car (knackered rear arm bearings, needs a timing belt, gearbox still likely knackered, rust present on the underside), I can't say I'm particularly motivated to sort it. 

Especially now the Fairmont is back in action. The Multipla may have been expensive for the one trip it ended up doing (Devon), but probably cheaper than a train for four people, and a lot easier! Hopefully I can sell it and reclaim some of the outlay.

Yeah i'd get rid tbqh.

Think it'd be a different argument if it was an otherwise lovely example, but it's..... well, look at it.

An end of life vehicle that's been completely fucked up for some laughs on a TV show and disposed of.

Even if you did all that work needed, short of taking it back to standard, it's a show car that isn't going to have an audience.

Letting it go and replacing with something actually useable is a better call,

I think you're placing too much emphasis on a car being interesting. You have a fleet. Do you really need the daily to be interesting too?

It doesn't have to be an on camera car, it just needs to be a workhorse that takes you to and from places reliably, including too and from your interesting cars at the unit.

The decision I've reached is just to crack on with what I already have. The Fairmont and GSA are absolutely fine for family duty, as will the Charade be once we get it up and running again. Buying yet another distraction isn't what I need. 

Quite what I do with the Multipla, I'm not sure.

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

The decision I've reached is just to crack on with what I already have. The Fairmont and GSA are absolutely fine for family duty, as will the Charade be once we get it up and running again. Buying yet another distraction isn't what I need. 

Quite what I do with the Multipla, I'm not sure.

Re' the Multipla, it'll soon be Bonfire night 😉

On 10/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, Remspoor said:

Maybe I should let @richykitchy explain.

Not the first time I've heard it! It's only the hair though, I don't think I look like him otherwise. Got told I sounded like Kenneth Williams the other day, though. So...yeah.

Cecily is doing nicely. I didn't buy it, a chap from the CCC did (well, I'm also in the CCC, but...you know). He spent a fair few quid on it and it's now had the clutch, timing belt, brakes, new wheels...all sorts. 

I mean, it's a C5, so it's still not nice, but it's now slightly less not-nice.

244682265_10222624432632337_8735599493062145103_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nope. Just needed a van and thought I'd review the van in question.

Actual fleet news, taken from the News 24 thread: 

Fleet progress is woeful, mostly broken. The only working car I currently have access to (GSA away for welding) is the Fairmont. So that's pricey...

Storm Arwen ripped a rear wing off the 2CV (not designed for 70mph tailwinds it turns out), Matiz is out of MOT and needs me to remove the injectors, Charade engine rebuild is ridiculously slow in any sort of progress, Fox is STILL just parked up waiting, I wish Storm Arwen had simply blown the Multipla away, Oltcit way down the pecking order, Oltcit 2 and Sana just languishing at the back.

Further to the above, I've since discovered a load of rot in the back of the nearside sill on the 2CV, so that's really helping with my low mood at the moment. Multipla is for sale for cheaps, and I'm wondering what else should follow. Too many cars, not enough enjoyment. Also, the Fairmont is freaking me out as the transmission went all slippy and lost drive again this morning (something it was doing two years ago in NZ to be fair. Does it once when you first set off, then will finally engage drive again and you can be on your way with no further issues for the day). 

Ah, the joy of owning a fleet of aging cars. Then again I rented a 2018 Panamera over the last week and despite only having 67k miles on the odo the engine had about half the oil pressure it should ideally have most of the time, with the valvetrain audibly clattering. Imagine being in that financial situation.

21 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Ah, the joy of owning a fleet of aging cars. Then again I rented a 2018 Panamera over the last week and despite only having 67k miles on the odo the engine had about half the oil pressure it should ideally have most of the time, with the valvetrain audibly clattering. Imagine being in that financial situation.

Yes, I have to keep reminding myself that moderns have their issues too! Plenty of them it seems.

12 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

Fairmont failing to take up drive may be related to ATF level?

Possibly, and it was worse before we recently topped up the level, but I remember it doing it after we checked the level in NZ as well. It is still leaking slightly, but I'm not sure it's really losing that much. Mind you, she's clocking up the miles still - up to 6000kms since July now.