Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Not sure the Multiplas height will be too much of an issue, but I do need to remember the silly spoiler. Side pipes will be coming off as I simply don't trust them not to fall off. We will keep them but they will be removed for general use.

The silliest car on eBay becomes just another pink Multipla with this quick simple tip. 

The paint quality on the Multipla looks quite good, and the combination of colours isn't bad, I like the luminous green fluff inside too, not too keen on the stacks or spoiler but what keeps coming back to me is that wasn't the fleet meant to shrinking not expanding? 😂

Took the GSA to Chevronics today. They had some epic shite floating about.

E_fWbmaXEAQEAYk?format=jpg&name=small

Singer SM 1500. Very rare and odd. Saw loads of them in NZ. Barely see any here.

We were there to fix the suspension leak, which turned out to be a piston/cylinder fault on the opposite side, but then Rob noticed the engine was running a bit lumpy and we discovered the valve clearances were all too tight, and there was an inlet manifold leak, so ended up being quite the session. He also fixed a known leak on the exhaust and got the rear silencer to look less like it was about to fall off. Both rear suspension gaiters needed replacing too. Oh and the fuel tank breather system was sorted out to hopefully banish the petrol stink.

The difference in the way the car drives is truly magical. Less pissing-about at traffic-jam speeds, much cleaner pick-up and gone is the farty exhaust blow I've been meaning to sort for ages. Turns out there was a spring support missing for the exhaust near where the leak was, that probably didn't help.

Tomorrow, yet more driving as it's off to see the Trigger, the wonderful Trigger of Cars.

1458922440_EastCoastRetros.thumb.jpg.d7db6bfa98c17e3c1c1b4b5e60835f43.jpg

We made it to East Coast Retros, but apparently me and Mrs Trigger weren't cool enough to park with her husband... Also, it looks like someone is inflating my T-shirt...

Still, over 400 miles covered on this trip now and this car is still jolly pleasant. A bit more filming tomorrow, then we can consider the 300-mile drive home. Economy after the first tank-to-tank (range about 300 miles) was 41mpg, which isn't bad. I've not been sparing the horses, and we had some truly horrible traffic in Hertfordshire.

It's so nice to be on an adventure again, even if it's just crossing the UK. 

Excellent x1/9 video Ian. But then I’m biased. Nick troth with the v6 modified car doesn’t live too far from the meeting , I’m surprised he wasn’t there.

it really is impressive how well they ride and absorb bumps. 

You’ve done all my cars recently ( actual and wished for) 2cv, w124 coupe, x1/9 and traction.

Cheers. It was an absolute hoot! The V6 one did turn up. Apparently he needed to go and refuel...

GSA News - I'm on my way home but overnighting in The Midlands. GSA still going well but I did need to add an entire litre of engine oil this morning. Starting to think I should have checked it a little earlier than 400 miles into the trip...

Had a play with something a bit more powerful. I'll stick to the GSA though.

IMG_20210920_101538.jpg

32 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

How long till HubNut test drives a Ferrari.

I'd say there's some fairly HubNut Ferraris out there, especially if you look at their 80s offerings. 400i immediately springs to mind...

I was actually meant to be driving a Ferrari, but the Porsche seemed much more suitable. And better suited my insurance...

Back home now. Somehow, driving coast to coast and back (not by a very direct route) saw us clock up 870 miles in six days. 

Good job I like the GSA again then really. Now I just need to try and fix some of the other cars on the fleet.

CONTAINS VIDEO SPOILERS

Went up the unit to diagnose the Multipla today. Yes, the problem is there's a man stuck under the front of it.

E_-DIQ-XEAIzgAr?format=jpg&name=small

That's my mate inspecting the damage I'd managed to cause to the sump on a speed hump. That'll need a new sump then! Naturally all the ones on Ebay seem to be for petrols...

Diagnosed the steering play on the Oltcit as inner track rod end. Autodoc lists them for a tenner! They don't actually have stock...

Then set about replacing the exhaust crossbox on the 2CV. This was because of odd resonance noises, but I found a hole while we were at it. Several bolts fought us all the way and I don't have any replacements. Which means I've disabled one of very few working cars I own...

So faith is now being put in the Ford Fairmont and Citroen GSA. I'm sure it'll be fine. Only have a few hundred miles to cover this weekend...

7 minutes ago, MT606 said:

what did your mate think of your newest purchase was there a 'WTFBoyO' followed by a shake of the head and a puddle on the floor?

Are Fiat's that bad they'll drop their oil at the sight of a confused welshman now?

1 hour ago, MT606 said:

and what did your mate think of your newest purchase was there a 'WTFBoyO' followed by a shake of the head and a puddle on the floor? are you actually keeping all that cack sprouting out of its hind quarters on?

He was slightly boggled by it all. A relative of my landlady even came along to look at it in person. It isn't a car to own if you don't want to be a talking point. 

The cack will be getting trimmed back, but we will keep it for shows and the like. Arguments are raging about the interior. I want shot of the green interior. This view is not shared by all in the family.

Having a nightmare trying to find a sump. New ones don't seem to exist, and the one used one I've located is £90 plus postage. I think at that price, I'm tempted to go down the repair route, so trying to decide whether to try and JB weld it, or actually get it welded. They're a bit of a sod to remove, so an in-situ repair would certainly be preferred.

I hit the sump on my old scenic going over a rough unmade road. Caused enough of a hole for the oil to drain out at a fair rate.

I ended up using quicksteel to repair it and it lasted another 2 years in my ownership and went on with a new owner without so much as a drip from the repair site.

Obviously it isn't going to work if there is any oil near the repair area but I did mine in situ by draining the remaining oil and as the damage was to one side, I jacked the car up on that corner so any remaining oil drained to the other side away from the hole and then kept washing it all down with degreaser until all traces of oil were gone and mixed the putty, smeared it over and let it cure.

I say give it a try. Nothing to loose other than a tenner for the quicksteel and a few hours cleaning up.

Cheers

Ben

I accidentally Dukes of Hazzardededed a Marea Weekend over an unmarked small humpback bridge that jumped out at me on a bend and ruined the sump - so much so that the oil light came on almost instantaneously. Because the signage was missing, the council payed the bill.

Was a fair old leap that K.I.T.T. would have been asking Michael "You're not thinking...."..."Oh my word, you ARE!"

The sump on the Multipla will be the same as the Marea one - unobtainable even 10 years ago. We had to have the old one welded up at a high cost, by an engineering firm.

I'm not sure with the multipla and its subframe/exhaust arrangement, but the engine is used in so many other Fiats and later in Vauxhall, saab etc. Going through part numbers there are tons that would fit the engine, but obviously there's something unique about the Multipla packaging because that has a part number only shared with the Mk1 Brava,

Even my Polish secret stash shop doesn't have one listed for a Multi. It does have one listed for the Idea and Doblo with that engine, and it's only £20 minus delivery (which could be anything in Brexit Britain)and looks identical.... but can't be.

http://www.unto.pl/miska-punto-19-doblo-19-idea-19-46753459-46770103-p-4565.html