Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

6 hours ago, Talbot said:

DW does not make documentaries.  If you want to make one, YouTube will gladly host it for you.

On that note, why not set up an invalid carriage channel @LightBulbFun? Even if you don't want to be on camera, there's many successful channels that do well with voiceover still images.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:06 AM, Remspoor said:

Liked the truck video. They certainly have gained  a lot of tech since I last drove one.

Question: what was the question just after this point? I have played and replayed still I cannot here it.

And how are you for driver's, have you got enough?

There's apparently 100,000 short for various reasons. I'm class 1 myself.

5 hours ago, egg said:

On that note, why not set up an invalid carriage channel @LightBulbFun? Even if you don't want to be on camera, there's many successful channels that do well with voiceover still images.

This is a great idea. I know a little about a lot of cars. I simply don't have the detailed research you have. I can't retain it all! Even pictures with music/captions would be informative and genuinely interesting.

5 hours ago, egg said:

5 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

This is a great idea. I know a little about a lot of cars. I simply don't have the detailed research you have. I can't retain it all! Even pictures with music/captions would be informative and genuinely interesting.

its a good idea and I do plan to do a youtube video when I finally get REV here hopefully :) 

but the problem 2 fold

1 I know that a youtube channel is a big commitment and a lot of work, and right now I have got a lot of things going on and things to worry about, so trying to produce youtube videos is just out of the question for me sadly

and

2: im not really of the youtube type I fear that ill just end up rambling for far too long while making very little sense

I dont feel as If I have that youtube personality if you get me

perhaps in time I might, but before I produce the movie I must get the book finished with Stuart first :) 

I do have a youtube channel if anyone does want to watch a mostly younger version of myself ramble on about old computers and lightbulbs LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQGaTChKGWmLu_PNvLtVJ9Q

(its been a while since I have uploaded anything longer then about a minute due to aforementioned life things)

but I feel my point is being slightly missed

in that im not asking you to remember off by heart that there where 18,130 Production Model 70's and 20 User trial prototype cars for a total of 18,150 Ministry Model 70's like I can LOL

I get that most people's brains dont work like mine

but that when you do explain in basics what a Model 70 is as you did in your recent video etc, that you things are a bit more accurate if you follow?

like if someone told your 2x2 was 6, so you remembered that and then told other people that 2x2 is 6,  but then someone who gives maths lessons told you actually 2x2 is 4

but you continued to tell people 2x2 was 6 rather then 4, im asking you to please stop telling people that 2x2=6 and instead remember that 2x2=4 and tell people 2x2=4 if you follow

but im not asking you to give an entire maths lesson if this makes sense? :) 

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

its a good idea and I do plan to do a youtube video when I finally get REV here hopefully :) 

but the problem 2 fold

1 I know that a youtube channel is a big commitment and a lot of work, and right now I have got a lot of things going on and things to worry about, so trying to produce youtube videos is just out of the question for me sadly

and

2: im not really of the youtube type I fear that ill just end up rambling for far too long while making very little sense

I dont feel as If I have that youtube personality if you get me

No. You do not think that. Stop it. Stop it now.

It's as big a commitment as you want it to be. If you want to make millions* like Dollywobbler is quite clearly making then yes, there's a lot of hustling involved. But, if you want it to sit there on the internet as an opus to the Invacar, so that other like minded weirdos aficionados or people who have had their perversion interest tickled by the sight of an Invacar can actually learn about them, then it will be what it is. A reference for the greater good.

You have all of this information, you have all of this knowledge, and it's just stuck inside your head. You have the ability, you have a charisma about you that is different to other people. You're different to me, you're different to Iain, you're different to @Kiltox, you're different to idriveaclassic, you're different to everyone. But there is a lid for every pot, and while you won't be everyone's cup of tea, you should never believe that you should be everyone's cup of tea. You are you because of who you are, and the major thing I think everyone gets told when doing the YouTube is be yourself. Which, when you consider these knobheads who make videos of the same shite going OMG HOW FAST CAN I GO FRU MACCYD'S DRIVE THRU BRO - well I don't know.

Impart your knowledge and wisdom of the subject to YouTube, and see how it goes. You will get arseholes and knobheads taking the piss, but you know what - they haven't put themselves out there. So fuck them. If you have confidence and a belief in what you are doing, then the words of those people you are worried about (which we're all worried about when we put something out in to the public domain) shouldn't matter.

You don't have to ad lib, you can write a script, and you can practice. It'd do wonders for your public speaking, although that said having been introduced to many a light bulb by you on the Tuesday calls you don't seem to struggle with that. Plus, really, you've a lot of people here who would be happy to lend an eye or an ear to anything you want to put out and give you feedback.

I think you could do something really cool and (importantly) really helpful to the wider car community. I'd back you on it.

*based purely on the fact he can manage to drive a car willingly that will only provide 20mpg on a good day

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

You can join a load of other channels who do the same. I am not going to name and shame them here though.

Being in front of the lens is not for me either.  Maybe can you do a collaborate video with HubNut? You proved the information. He  (or Miss) cuts and shunts the information because he knows how it works and then the information get onto the web. This may have worked better when there was a Welsh version of a lockdown. Because it could be made without travelling.

I took a couple of videos of my garden as family and friends wanted to see it. I just did one continuous shot as I walked round with a little bit of commentary.

Rather that send it to each of them, I uploaded it to YouTube without editing and sent them the link. It was very simple to upload and quick,  as I did no editing at all. I think that is where the time is consumed

I can understand LBF's frustration when myths and errors get perpetuated by people who should really know better though - in my own little field of interest I've had to combat that, even to the extent of being told I'm wrong because the English-speaking bit of the Internet says otherwise.

If @LightBulbFun is doing a book on Invacars and invalid carriages in general, I will certainly put my name down for a copy.

7 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Which, when you consider these knobheads who make videos of the same shite going OMG HOW FAST CAN I GO FRU MACCYD'S DRIVE THRU BRO - well I don't know.

Or berks doing a "tunnel blast"...

Rest of your post, @St.Jude - absolutely superb, considerate and thoughtful advice: "I commend this to The House."

On 24/08/2021 at 14:42, LightBulbFun said:

[...] the DHSS would give you a regular car for free, you could even get Renault 4's!

and this picture for example was part of a protest against the decision to get rid of all Invalid vehicles by 1981 from people who really did not want to give up their machines!

71962100_998164447189616_2635953650123407360_n.jpg

Every day a schoolday re: the Renault 4s 🙂

@LightBulbFun With regard to this photo, what are the two cars behind the leading car?

1 hour ago, R1152 said:

Every day a schoolday re: the Renault 4s 🙂

indeed! it was quite fun discovering those :) I wonder if any Ministry examples managed to survive! from what I understand Ministry regular cars where just sold at goverment auctions at the end of their Ministry service life

(unlike Ministry invalid vehicles which had to be Destroyed)

it is worth noting that when the media killed off the Invalid vehicle service it also killed off these free Ministry provided normal cars which is somewhat ironic when that is what they where supposedly campaigning for! 

if you wish to see a Ministry Mini etc if you click on the little arrow on the top right corner of the quote box it will take you to the original post the quote is from in my thread :)

1 hour ago, R1152 said:

@LightBulbFun With regard to this photo, what are the two cars behind the leading car?

the Two cars behind the leading Model 70 are as follows:

HEV15xH is an Invacar Mk12E (Model 66) which is the same as the type @AdgeCutler has and is restoring over on my thread :) 

and behind that one is a Tippen Delta 8 (Model 59 if Petrol or Model 69E if Electric)

also of note behind those 2 is the DPL car which a DPL751J to DPL950J AC Acedes Mk15 Model 67, which is notable as it is a reverse control machine :) 

26 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

indeed! it was quite fun discovering those :) I wonder if any Ministry examples managed to survive! from what I understand Ministry regular cars where just sold at goverment auctions at the end of their Ministry service life

(unlike Ministry invalid vehicles which had to be Destroyed)

it is worth noting that when the media killed off the Invalid vehicle service it also killed off these free Ministry provided normal cars which is somewhat ironic when that is what they where supposedly campaigning for! 

if you wish to see a Ministry Mini etc if you click on the little arrow on the top right corner of the quote box it will take you to the original post the quote is from in my thread :)

the Two cars behind the leading Model 70 are as follows:

HEV15xH is an Invacar Mk12E (Model 66) which is the same as the type @AdgeCutler has and is restoring over on my thread :) 

and behind that one is a Tippen Delta 8 (Model 59 if Petrol or Model 69E if Electric)

also of note behind those 2 is the DPL car which a DPL751J to DPL950J AC Acedes Mk15 Model 67, which is notable as it is a reverse control machine :) 

"Reverse control"? I like the styling of the 12E but to me the ultimate "little blue invalid carriage" (I never used any of the less charitable names for them) will always be the Model 70. I just hope that one day, someone does an electric conversion...

36 minutes ago, R1152 said:

"Reverse control"? I like the styling of the 12E but to me the ultimate "little blue invalid carriage" (I never used any of the less charitable names for them) will always be the Model 70. I just hope that one day, someone does an electric conversion...

Most Petrol machines Pre Model 70 including the Model 67 had a Tiller control scheme like so, with 1 door on the left to enable the user to get in and out safely on the pavement nearside

DSC01637.JPG

however the Mk15 Model 67 had a reverse control option which was the above but everything mirrored :) 

this did mean the 1 door was then on the offside!

the Model 67 in @MorrisItalSLX's neck of the woods is one such example is the only known surviving reverse Control Model 67 (out of about 12 known surviving Model 67's)

1965AC_Acedes_Invalid_Tricycle.jpeg

for reference here is a regular Model 67 AC Acedes Mk15 from the outside

72083927_10158839874337388_1182916366496169984_o.jpg

if you want electric machine, then an AC Model 64 is what your looking for :) (which was the Electric Version of the AC Acedes Mk1-Mk12 Model 57)

s-l1600 (2) copy 3.jpg

sadly very few are known to survive

On 26/08/2021 at 22:04, R1152 said:

@LightBulbFun I have to say I'm struggling to tell the difference between a 67 and a 70...

the biggest external clue is to look at the rear wheel arches the Model 70 has flared wheel arches to accommodate its wider track

this is an AC Acedes Mk14/Mk14A Model 67 (note the front mould lines but lack of a front towing eye, this tells you its a Mk14/Mk14A, as the Mk15 had no front mould lines but did have a towing eye)

50405220841_fa940e83b4_5k.jpg

and this is an Invacar Model 70 Mark B, note the flared wheel arches and lack of towing eye with no mould lines which tells you that it is a Model 70 :) 

50385491827_2ad893ca16_4k.jpg

although they look similar on the surface under the surface they are completely different machines

the Model 67 was a bit of a stop gap machine, it was more or less a Model 57 chassis with the the body from the then still in development Model 70 dropped over the top, to tie things over until the Model 70 was ready

so the Model 67 was a manual gearbox single cylinder Villiers 11E machine with a spindly backbone chassis machine (and C-Tube front suspension for the Mk14 and Mk14A)

DtmIsrSWoAAOIgq.jpeg

where as the Model 70 was a Fully automatic CVT machine powered by a much more powerful 493cc Steyr Puch Flat twin engine with a completely different stronger much more robust chassis underneath, with Parallelogram front suspension (replacing the older C-tube suspension of the Villiers machines) and independent rear semi trailing arm suspension from the Fiat 500

image.thumb.png.2eb781bf520c20f8655c68f0bae6baa4.png

(although on order of the Ministry the Model 70's Parallelogram front suspension was fitted to the last of the Villiers machines creating the AC Acedes Mk15, Invacar Mk12E and the Electric AC Model 64 Mk5)

On 26/08/2021 at 22:30, N19 said:

I may have missed this but... an invacar on a H prefix? Anyone who knows a bit about invacars and the DVLC care to explain?!

its just on false plates sadly

curiously tho I remember when I first came across that Model 67 I seem recall H511XRR showing a Reliant of some kind, for a couple years now it shows nothing on any of my tools, I have to wonder if I imagined it! but I do know HxxxXRR WAS issued in period...

27 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I wonder how many people traded their Model 67 / Mk12 in for a Model 70 and then shat themselves the first time they wound the throttle open.

quite a few actually LOL to the point that I understand it was one of the reasons why in later years the Ministry specifically had a policy of replacing worn out Villiers machines like for like  and not just giving the user a Model 70

heres such an incident that the previous owner of my Invacar told me about from back when he worked as an Approved repairers back in the 1970's 

On 18/03/2020 at 12:43, LightBulbFun said:

besides I can tell you a fun story (from the spectators POV anyway! probably not very fun for the poor lady!) of a lady who had just got her shiny new Model 70 and jumped in it not realising its not like her old Villiers machine

so she went wide open throttle right from the get go and shot off out of control before taking out a poor innocent milk float 

(something im realising I hope we dont end up re-enacting at the FoD!)

Ok LBF. Here's another idea. Why not a website that contains the key facts from your thread? I've forgotten more car facts than I remember, and do carry out research, but your facts are littered through both your own and this thread. I can't quickly and easily get at those facts, which makes it hard to top up my memory banks. Remember I know a little about a LOT of cars and an constantly learning new facts. That does mean I can't remember everything I've been told over the years.

In other news, we held a HubNut Social at Brooklands Museum and it was amazing. We even coaxed this little Fiesta into life after it sat for a year! Gave the show some proper Autoshite vibes. 

IMG_20210828_150915.thumb.jpg.edce354b5ff5140145f41cc9be5fa766.jpg

Obligatory.

IMG_20210828_171914.thumb.jpg.d77a74735b9c9fe83e8d2c490091a676.jpg

Invaded by an RT. IMG_20210828_113244.thumb.jpg.105bb192db795d0e1d0c936164890f3c.jpg