Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

7 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

You could argue that the sign being there, and evidently the number of incidents there, would be enough to say that the Highways Agency knew something was up there, and it could be argued that it wasn't sufficiently altered or fixed to remedy the problem.

But I have a vague memory about pot holes, that the council will/can pay out for damage if the pot hole wasn't marked. But if the pot hole was marked (spray painted) they couldn't pay out. This might be the same. 

Surely though, with the number of followers and subscribers, there's going to be a lawyer type person who has an interest in liability things like this who would/could advise pro bono. Not the U2 wanker, btw.

Things move glacially slow when government agencies are involved, they'll argue it was clearly signed, that road conditions can and are transient, and that it was on the scheme of works to be repaired, hence it now if I'm led to believe what DW has posted, is now being re-surfaced and remedied to an extent.

Again, I'm not saying any of it being slow etc is right, but again, it's how things are.

Almost certainly not.  Front wheel drive cars almost invariably understeer when they break traction, so if a FWD car was going to hit anything it would have been the central reservation (but you'd have to be a complete cretin to lose control of a FWD car that comprehensively).

The only way a FWD car would have had an "off" like Wobbler's is if it was something prone to lift-off oversteer like a 205 GTI or a Perodua Kenari and you had been driving like a complete cretin.

4 hours ago, Gman88667733 said:

Surely the most important thing for this thread and forum is that the car is repairable?  

I'd say the most important thing is that there wasn't a motorcyclist in the direct trajectory of the skid and this thread isn't being quoted in a coroners court like what happened to Ten Pence Short on Piston heads. 

39 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

I'd say the most important thing is that there wasn't a motorcyclist in the direct trajectory of the skid and this thread isn't being quoted in a coroners court like what happened to Ten Pence Short on Piston heads. 

I agree, at least nobody was hurt. I wonder how the biker that 10PS nearly killed is. 

15 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I agree, at least nobody was hurt. I wonder how the biker that 10PS nearly killed is. 

There's a very fine line between spinning a car and having to replace a half shaft and spinning a car and spending the next 18 months in a 10x6 cell with a couple of wanking murders and a bucket of shit. 

Pure luck and chance is what separates the two outcomes. 

There is a positive that can be drawn out of this. 

If another member here buys a car that despite having legal tyres, struggles to pull away in the damp without the traction control cutting in, reads this thread and learns by the experience of DW and replaces his tyres than maybe this whole incident may save a life? 

A wise man learms by the mistakes of others, not just his own. 

Yeah we lost a family friend because of dangerous driving. Not saying DW was driving dangerously but blaming the road is a cop-out, he simply didn't know the limits of the car given the conditions. Its entirely on him, luckily the impact was only light damage to his own car and can just be chalked down to experience, no shame in it, we've all had those "Oh fuck that could have been a lot worse!" moments. 

Just now, Liggle said:

Yeah we lost a family friend because of dangerous driving. Not saying DW was driving dangerously but blaming the road is a cop-out, he simply didn't know the limits of the car given the conditions. Its entirely on him, luckily the impact was only light damage to his own car and can just be chalked down to experience, no shame in it, we've all had those "Oh fuck that could have been a lot worse!" moments. 

Sorry to hear about your friend. 

30 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen the thread we are talking about I have posted a link below 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=442266&i=40

That's horrific. The scenario should be relayed to pumped up 17 year old lads who've just passed their tests. 

14 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That's horrific. The scenario should be relayed to pumped up 17 year old lads who've just passed their tests. 

It should be told to anyone under 35 whose just signed an 8000 mile a year lease deal on a BMW140i/Audi S3/C63AMG 

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

It should be told to anyone under 35 whose just signed an 8000 mile a year lease deal on a BMW140i/Audi S3/C63AMG 

True that. 

Cars are steadily becoming faster, yet more safe for the occupants. Irrelevant when you're overtaking on a blind bend at 90 and take out the poor fella on a bike coming the other way though. I honestly think we need to use hard-hitting video and stories to educate younger drivers. I saw *that* 1980s electrical safety warning video on twitter the other day. You know, the one where a lad climbs over a fence and ends up getting nuked. All the comments, including my own, were to the effect of 'still an unpleasant watch, even though I've not seen it in 30 years'. 

Edit: This video...

54 minutes ago, Liggle said:

blaming the road is a cop-out, he simply didn't know the limits of the car given the conditions. Its entirely on him

Utter crap.  If a section of road is notorious for spitting cars off into the scenery, and is now getting a resurface because it's so bad, then it wasn't fit for purpose.

26 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Utter crap.  If a section of road is notorious for spitting cars off into the scenery, and is now getting a resurface because it's so bad, then it wasn't fit for purpose.

Its not utter crap though is it, plenty of other cars managed it on the same day, in the same conditions. It probably contributed, but admitting the car has traction issues undermines the argument it was the road!

35 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Cars are steadily becoming faster, yet more safe for the occupants.

Its true, and the newest breed of hot/hyper hatches really flatter the driver, including my own. Its far too easy to take bends far too quickly, the 10 Pence Short thread is a sobering reminder

42 minutes ago, Liggle said:

Its not utter crap though is it, plenty of other cars managed it on the same day, in the same conditions. It probably contributed, but admitting the car has traction issues undermines the argument it was the road!

Its true, and the newest breed of hot/hyper hatches really flatter the driver, including my own. Its far too easy to take bends far too quickly, the 10 Pence Short thread is a sobering reminder

Over25? Got a few years NCD? OK credit history? In a job paying over £12 an hour? 

Lease the 300+BHP car of your choice 

3 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen the thread we are talking about I have posted a link below 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=442266&i=40

Bloody hell i've just read that.

That's terrifying, really terrifying. Should be required reading for anyone who drives a car.

2 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Any updates on any other members of the fleet wobbles?

Not a lot to report. Matiz and 2CV are sharing daily duty, GSA still pissing hydraulic fluid, Charade still pissing coolant, Fox hads't had an MOT since before Christmas and is pissing oil everywhere, Invacar doing about eight miles per week and Oltcit now has working steering but still some way from an MOT. 

I've put my back out so no more tinkering until that's better.

34 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Not a lot to report. Matiz and 2CV are sharing daily duty, GSA still pissing hydraulic fluid, Charade still pissing coolant, Fox hads't had an MOT since before Christmas and is pissing oil everywhere, Invacar doing about eight miles per week and Oltcit now has working steering but still some way from an MOT. 

Sounds like a bit of a piss up then. I like a a good piss up.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Sorry to hear about your back dolly, I hope you're feeling better soon