Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

I utterly ballsed up the edit, so badly I decided the only thing to do was take it down and try again. It'll take a while to reformat and upload, but there you are. It all went HubNut.

Something else that went HubNut is the Matiz. The idle has been intermittenly iffy for the whole time I've had it second time around. Got a replacement idle control valve, fitted it and it began revving and blipping on idle in a most unsatisfactory manner. Put the old one in and it's much better, if not perfect. Oddly the old one has the plunger fully out, the new one has it fully in. Bit annoying.

7 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, a change to the scheduled programming, but a very good change.

I was trying to rush today, edited the earlier video and the Daewoo because we're away this weekend. Don't think I made such a mess of the Daewoo thankfully...

Thank you...your thoughts pretty much exactly mirrored mine from when I had a shot of one at the garage back in 2003 or so.  The guys were quite disparaging about the "cheap ****" but I thought it was a thoroughly competent car.  Comfy, quiet and cracking value for money.

Especially on the secondhand market around then...you could get one for about the same price as a leggy Xantia with no options on it or service history at more than twice the age.  I'm a huge fan of the Xantia and always have been, but I know which one I'd have chosen if I'd been shopping around at the time.

Always thought the Espero was a truly cracking looking car, totally aside from how it drove.

The Nexia I always thought was better than it had a reputation for.  Yes it was a repackaged Astra, but that didn't make it a fundamentally bad car...it did a perfectly good job of being "an car" for the price.  Just like Ladas did in the 70s and 80s...they were old fashioned but they did the job and were cheap.  Yes they had some serious build quality wobbles in the early days, but we never had a bit of trouble with any we had through beyond silly things like bits of trim falling off.  Oh, and that bloody manifold heat shield rattle...

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Are all of you piling into the Matiz for FOTU then?  That's going to be a long trip.  I foresee a lot of "Are we there yet?" from the back seat...

Thankfully not. Kids are at their dad's, dogs will be staying with a friend. So just the two of us experiencing the 'joy' of long-distance Matiz action. Can't really believe we're leaving the distance machine at home...

4 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

How many miles has Myrtle done now? 

They were awful, basic throwbacks.  They couldn't find a market because they were reskinned old cars and when the (best bit) revolutionary way of buying, servicing and warranty was scuppered by other dealers saying they would never take them as trade ins, buyers were put off.  Unfortunately they didn't have the finance to weather the storm and get the cash flow to introduce new models so the idea went pop and we went back to the status quo. 

27 minutes ago, colino said:

They were awful, basic throwbacks.  They couldn't find a market because they were reskinned old cars and when the (best bit) revolutionary way of buying, servicing and warranty was scuppered by other dealers saying they would never take them as trade ins, buyers were put off.  Unfortunately they didn't have the finance to weather the storm and get the cash flow to introduce new models so the idea went pop and we went back to the status quo. 

So awful and basic that they had ABS, air conditioning, four electric windows and a lovely sunroof? I think Daewoo Motor was defeated mostly by its ridiculously over-optimistic expansion plans. They went from nothing to global factories all over the world (including the former Oltcit factory in Romania, and the FSO factory in Poland) but ended up biting off more than they could chew. Ultimately, when they stopped reskinning Vauxhalls, the end products weren't really interesting enough. The Lanos, Nubira and Leganza just never quite cut it in a tough market.

4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I do wonder if the Halfords connection was off-putting for many people.

I wonder. I didn't know that was a thing until @dollywobblermentioned it in a video when he first got the Matiz. 

There was Deawoo dealers in Ireland, I'm sure of it. We didn't have Halfords at the time I don't hink. And the Matiz was definitely sold. 

1 minute ago, Spurious said:

I wonder. I didn't know that was a thing until @dollywobblermentioned it in a video when he first got the Matiz. 

There was Deawoo dealers in Ireland, I'm sure of it. We didn't have Halfords at the time I don't hink. And the Matiz was definitely sold. 

My memory is correct. Franchised owned by Nissan but at arms length. 

The local one to me was a Deawoo/Mitsubishi dealer, than a Chevrolet/Mitsubishi then moving the Kia only. 

I find it bizarre thinking about it here however. You could go in for a fluffy steering wheel cover, naff hubcaps and come out with a Matiz. Awfully strange. 

Screenshot_20210729_185342_com.android.chrome.jpg

15 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

So awful and basic that they had ABS, air conditioning, four electric windows and a lovely sunroof? I think Daewoo Motor was defeated mostly by its ridiculously over-optimistic expansion plans. They went from nothing to global factories all over the world (including the former Oltcit factory in Romania, and the FSO factory in Poland) but ended up biting off more than they could chew. Ultimately, when they stopped reskinning Vauxhalls, the end products weren't really interesting enough. The Lanos, Nubira and Leganza just never quite cut it in a tough market.

I think, especially with the FSO stuff, they took on the liabilities of the factory as well. Plenty of Polonez's were rocking around with the Daewoo emblem on them. They also managed to, somehow, reduce the build quality on the Polonez's too. 

I think too thats there was more to it than just the expansion. Expansion is fine if people are buying the cars, but even with the whole "That'll be the Daewoo" adverts, no one really wanted to drive them. Given, at the time, you could easily park next to a Daewoo in the Tesco car park and go in to the shop and buy a Daewoo microwave. Who wants to drive a microwave?

They were cheap cars, and they were capable for a price point that was maybe slightly under what they were going for. Even a brand like Chevrolet, who went on to rebadge them, couldn't really make a go of it because the cars themselves weren't as good as contemporaries for the same - or less - money. 

15 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Unusual to have air con and a sunroof, usually it was one or the other 

When I worked at Brands Hatch I used to get a lift there from my supervisor who had a P-reg Espero. I remember it being very well appointed and relatively comfy for my ample  bulk as a front seat passenger, but a bit cheap looking. Certainly better than the Samara he had before (not an awful car but very crudely finished)

Do not complain about the perceived lack of equipment in a Espero  compared with other cars on the market at the time. If you do just take a look at the most basic Dacia and compare with other cars on the market now.

The Espero  was not so basic in it's time as say a Dacia is now. The real basic Access seems to have the minimum standard equipment so that it dose not loose any more safety stars. The quality of some components feel ultra cheap.  I get the feeling the 30 year old car was built to a better standard.

Does anyone think the Espero's headlights look like a Ford Sierra Mk3?

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Has @brownnova bought that espero yet?

how about now?

There’s another only slightly further away languishing on a drive… I’m thinking buy both and see which ones best… seems a sensible plan right?