Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

I've driven a friend's C5 before and after a DMF to Solid flywheel conversion and I honestly couldn't tell the difference in normal driving.  The only time I could tell a difference was if I deliberately nearly stalled it when the revs dropped far lower than normal.

For normal use I'd really not worry about it.

Absolutely don't be tempted to leave it be though...if the flywheel went bang in two months time it would likely be curtains for the car.  Whether you replace it like for like or with a solid conversion is your call though.

There's always a huge debate on the solid/ dual mass flywheel, but in the case of the C5 mk1 a solid one would be fine. The exact same engine and gearbox 2. 0 110 Hdi are used in the xantia which never had a dmf.

28 minutes ago, egg said:

I reckon I've watched 6-800 Hubnut videos. Think how much time that is. I spend more time with Ian than most of my friends*.

* Obv this is a lie, I don't have any.

I've yet to watch one.

Initially because I went to chumley once and Ian tried to flog me a hubnut sticker. 

Sorry what? You want me to pay for you advertising on my car? 

I'm very strange. 

34 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I do hope getting the latest running nicely lifts your spirits a little. Hopefully the window and any non-functioning electrics are easy jobs. Congrats on 1000 videos!

Yes, it has restored a bit of faith in myself. Hoping I can take the window mechanism from the other Oltcit if I need to, though the youngest child seems to have claimed that for himself...

1 minute ago, New POD said:

I've yet to watch one.

Initially because I went to chumley once and Ian tried to flog me a hubnut sticker. 

Sorry what? You want me to pay for you advertising on my car? 

I'm very strange. 

This is an odd one. I'm a terrible salesman, so doesn't seem likely I'd approach someone to try and sell them a sticker. People like buying them, I'm happy to provide them. They show support, I get to spend money on absolutely awful cars. Win win.

7 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

This is an odd one. I'm a terrible salesman, so doesn't seem likely I'd approach someone to try and sell them a sticker. People like buying them, I'm happy to provide them. They show support, I get to spend money on absolutely awful cars. Win win.

I know, I'm very odd. May be the sun got to me. 

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

though the youngest child seems to have claimed that for himself...

Sounds like a welder will be on someone’s birthday/xmas list…

Joking aside if youngest is genuinely interested in the Oltcits it might make a good stepdad-stepson bonding project using the good Oltcit as a reference. No rush to fix, something to do over school holidays. Really wish stepdaughter had kept her interest in cars going; she would have made a brilliant mechanic going by the one year she did at college before changing courses. We had some good bonding sessions fixing the Toyota and the Saab before she wanted to go into film/tv production and editing.

Yeah, time is the issue. They tend to spend holidays with their other parent, so tinkering time is at a premium. 

In other news, I've been bombing around a fair bit in the 2CV in the past few days. Nice to be back in it again. Even for boring stuff like groceries and (as I was passing the school) the school run. Kids enjoyed that run home. I finally fixed both the LED strip light that hasn't worked for about two years, and the voltmeter which has been out of action for a mere year.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:02 AM, dollywobbler said:

350 miles covered in the C5 yesterday.

IMG_20210619_170031.thumb.jpg.d4a97f558bae6c2aeef481959c90c7b2.jpg

Apart from one rather tricky hill start that it just about managed, it went very well. It's such a good car for distance. 

On the downside, I enjoyed the A4120 so much that I managed to induce sickness in one of the children. Thankfully she recovered sufficiently to enjoy the day (driving classics at the British Motor Museum) to have tea and cake when we stopped at the delightful cafe pictured above.

C5 does deserve a fresh clutch I think. Various people telling me not to bother replacing the DMF. Not sure how to proceed.

I may be biased due to being a huge C5 fan

but, you could spend the clutch money on a replacement car which could be a nightmare, at least you know the C5 is a goodun

and that's the thing with C5s they're rather wonderful to drive, comfortable, smooth and really quite safe in an accident which is what's needed for a family wagon

i'd fix the C5 personally, it's obviously got under your skin and you do seem to like it lol

It is a tricky one, because the cost of clutch could just buy another C5, and being picky this time, I could check all is well with it. But, you never know with cars do you? I've had complete knackers serve me remarkably well, and fully-historied beauties be nothing but trouble. I can't do anything until we've got some house keys in our hands, but I think my preference is to spend some money on this one. For the time being, it is only being used for the lengthy trips (Devon in a few weeks!) and I'm nursing the clutch. It has not slipped again, so gentle use may well eke out a good few more miles yet. I hope. (though the GSA is not a bad fall back if I can stop it stinking of fuel - have a new filler pipe now).

@dollywobbler Perhaps the Oltcits initial reluctance to start was partly due to the 7 year old petrol?  It did eventually go because you put enough fresh juice in to dilute the old stuff.  I wonder what it, and your (and other peoples) fleet will think of that horrible ethanol soon to be coming our way.

DfT News: Standard petrol is changing to E10

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKDVLA/bulletins/2e3e2a1

1 hour ago, bobdisk said:

.....  I wonder what it, and your (and other peoples) fleet will think of that horrible ethanol soon to be coming our way.

The problem here is that not everyone sells E5 super unleaded, especially outside urban areas....

5 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I presume I need to think about my 1994 K11 getting new fuel lines sorted then?

I do wonder about that. Fortunately the flexible pipe runs aren't all that bad on the Micra. I think my BX has mostly new and modern fuel lines but it shouldn't be all that hard to replace them either.

5 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I do wonder about that. Fortunately the flexible pipe runs aren't all that bad on the Micra. I think my BX has mostly new and modern fuel lines but it shouldn't be all that hard to replace them either.

It's rubber components. So while yeah rubber fuel lines etc would be at risk, it's also seals on the injectors.

That said, regardless, fuel lines and all of these things should be checked and replaced when they start to look tired, not when they've split. 

2 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

It's rubber components. So while yeah rubber fuel lines etc would be at risk, it's also seals on the injectors.

That said, regardless, fuel lines and all of these things should be checked and replaced when they start to look tired, not when they've split. 

It's a good job the injector rail on the K11 is very easy to get at and service. I completely forgot about the seals and sealing components in the fuel system. I hope anything on the fuel tank side isn't vulnerable to this as well.

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

It's a good job the injector rail on the K11 is very easy to get at and service. I completely forgot about the seals and sealing components in the fuel system. I hope anything on the fuel tank side isn't vulnerable to this as well.

Well you should check the UK site, that'll tell you.

It's also worth remembering that in Europe they've been using higher concentrations of ethanol for years. So there's every chance there'll be harder, better made components out there. 

22 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

It's also worth remembering that in Europe they've been using higher concentrations of ethanol for years. So there's every chance there'll be harder, better made components out there. 

I remember checking it before and they had no data whatsoever. That may have changed so I'll look it up. I seem to remember Nissan saying something about ethanol fuel in the car's handbook. Unfortunately I don't have it with me.

EDIT:
image.png.30d6681184adccfef118aab120544ab7.png

Doesn't seem like much of an issue considering the CG engine was being used until 2003. I'll chew on this some more once I'm back home.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

It is a tricky one, because the cost of clutch could just buy another C5, and being picky this time, I could check all is well with it. But, you never know with cars do you? I've had complete knackers serve me remarkably well, and fully-historied beauties be nothing but trouble. I can't do anything until we've got some house keys in our hands, but I think my preference is to spend some money on this one. For the time being, it is only being used for the lengthy trips (Devon in a few weeks!) and I'm nursing the clutch. It has not slipped again, so gentle use may well eke out a good few more miles yet. I hope. (though the GSA is not a bad fall back if I can stop it stinking of fuel - have a new filler pipe now).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133794130944?hash=item1f26c06c00:g:if4AAOSwffJgzxew

good point where theres ones like this out there, this looks extremely tidy

i could potentially be interested if you were to sell (depending on how much!) as i feel a manual, as much as i'm not a manual fan would be a good companion for my auto (also want to compare SX and VTR specs as am a weirdo)

i think in all honesty you have a good one there, certainly the engine sounds beautiful!

that's the problem with cars like this, they get under our skin and we grow attached

4 hours ago, bobdisk said:

@dollywobbler Perhaps the Oltcits initial reluctance to start was partly due to the 7 year old petrol?  It did eventually go because you put enough fresh juice in to dilute the old stuff.  I wonder what it, and your (and other peoples) fleet will think of that horrible ethanol soon to be coming our way.

No, I'm pretty sure the float valve had stuck closed, and or some key jets were blocked. 

22 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Fuel lines are certainly up to spec. However are they any better quality wise I don't think so. I have quite a length of flexible fuel pipes which are not really any good now. I am starting to wonder if the old SUs are Ethanol proof.

This E10 fuel is why I done this to the fuel tank.... but you know that 😉

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Fuel lines are certainly up to spec. However are they any better quality wise I don't think so. I have quite a length of flexible fuel pipes which are not really any good now. I am starting to wonder if the old SUs are Ethanol proof.

This E10 fuel is why I done this to the fuel tank.... but you know that 😉

I need to look through that thread for when I get round to the RAV4 - which I think right now isn't compatible with E10. But then again the state of the fuel lines (both rubber and steel) weren't compatible with any sort of petrol. #crustyHole