Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

10 hours ago, brownnova said:

How many times have you been tagged in this so far @dollywobbler

B61917CD-BB42-4862-9441-14244F36ACC4.jpeg

😂😂

A few. As if another long-dead Yugo is what I need! 

2CV MOT day today. She's barely covered 2000 miles since the previous one. Can't really believe a year has gone by to be honest!

13 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Given that the Sana might as well be a bare shell given you don't know what's there etc, you'd be as well to buy a Punto outright and grab everything from it and shoehorn it in. 

9 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Given that the Sana might as well be a bare shell given you don't know what's there etc, you'd be as well to buy a Punto outright and grab everything from it and shoehorn it in. 

Second this.

A rotten Punto, especially one with a smart engine, would make for a helluva project

In other news, three years ago, I turned down this Reliant Fox as it had been off the road for a number of years, and the engine was absolute toast. 

E4AYnNSVgAUhNLZ?format=jpg&name=medium

But then I had second thoughts, got it dragged home by a friend and a year later, it was up and running and painted with blue emulsion paint. 

E4AY4sVUUAY5eIV?format=jpg&name=large

Here she is jump starting a PT Cruiser that I'm very glad to report is no longer in my life. I have plans for the Fox. The next evolution is just around the corner...

18 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

In other news, three years ago, I turned down this Reliant Fox as it had been off the road for a number of years, and the engine was absolute toast. 

E4AYnNSVgAUhNLZ?format=jpg&name=medium

But then I had second thoughts, got it dragged home by a friend and a year later, it was up and running and painted with blue emulsion paint. 

E4AY4sVUUAY5eIV?format=jpg&name=large

Here she is jump starting a PT Cruiser that I'm very glad to report is no longer in my life. I have plans for the Fox. The next evolution is just around the corner...

You've managed to snag a wrote off Tesla, and you're going to squeeze the Tesla drivetrain in to the Fox, and instead of the touchscreens and shit you'll opt for the good ol' fashioned CRT's?

Well, she'd fit in it at least. She's tiny.

In other news... (big video spoilers alert)

E4FaivVX0AAvzJu?format=jpg&name=small

The Oltcit drove from the trailer to the unit when delivered, but the other day, I could not get it to run on pumped fuel. Splash some into the carb and away it would go. Briefly. I did this many, many times, because I'm an idiot.

Today, the idiocy continued, albeit with a can of fresh fuel, this time using the 2CV as a jump pack rather than the Fox. I reckon I must have tried at least eight times before deciding to check whether the fuel pump was actually pumping. It was. Which really confused me. I then tried about another six times before it dawned on me that there might just be a slight issue in the carburettor.

Filter next to the inlet was fine, so I took the top off the carburettor. Float bowls were icky, so I cleared those out, blasted out any jets I could get a can of carb cleaner on and checked that the ball and seat were actually passing petrol. They were. Loosely dropped the top back on to see if petrol would fill the float bowl and it started!

Screwed the top back down, disconnected the jump leads and went for a drive - only a short one around the yard as the footbrake is entirely broken and the steering is binding (and also feels very clonky). Was so overjoyed that I gave it a wash. And failed to take any further pics...

24 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Random thought, but would the Oltcit's engine fit into a 2cv? 

yes actually :)

its the same flat 4 as found in the GS/GSA and I believe such swapped machines are called sidewinders

its a fairly common one in-fact from what I have seen

350 miles covered in the C5 yesterday.

IMG_20210619_170031.thumb.jpg.d4a97f558bae6c2aeef481959c90c7b2.jpg

Apart from one rather tricky hill start that it just about managed, it went very well. It's such a good car for distance. 

On the downside, I enjoyed the A4120 so much that I managed to induce sickness in one of the children. Thankfully she recovered sufficiently to enjoy the day (driving classics at the British Motor Museum) to have tea and cake when we stopped at the delightful cafe pictured above.

C5 does deserve a fresh clutch I think. Various people telling me not to bother replacing the DMF. Not sure how to proceed.

5 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Various people telling me not to bother replacing the DMF

Unless they have some amazing remote-viewing / clairvoyance / ability to use the force, then I don't quite see how they can determine the condition of a DMF.  The only person who can say for sure if a new DMF is needed is the person who inspects it once the box and the clutch are removed.  It might be fine, or it might be absolutely knackered.

18 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Unless they have some amazing remote-viewing / clairvoyance / ability to use the force, then I don't quite see how they can determine the condition of a DMF.  The only person who can say for sure if a new DMF is needed is the person who inspects it once the box and the clutch are removed.  It might be fine, or it might be absolutely knackered.

14 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, that seems fair. I very rarely change a clutch, and have never done so with a DMF involved. Much calling for me to DIY it but at six hours book time, I'm really not sure. Especially with no lift. Sounds like several days of awkward pain to me.

I always thought the DMF was changed when the clutch got changed. I know when the clutch went in my 3008 (which was a 1.6 HDi IIRC) I didn't feel/hear any issues with the DMF, but it was toast. It's an odd feeling to be asked the whole "did you notice anything with the DMF?" by the mechanic, and him look at you like you've deposited a turd under his christmas tree when you say no.

A lot of people also say you should fit a solid flywheel instead of a DMF, but doing that turns your car in to a tractor. If you like tractors it's the way to go.

But yeah, I would ready yourself for a DMF change, but sure once you're there with all of it off do you want to be back there in 1,000 miles time doing the flywheel?

I was about to write the same as above. If a car has a DMF it is advisable to change that when changing the clutch. The alternative could well be double gearbox removal costs in a short time period. You will have no doubt caused some damage to it due to the clutch slipping. They are not so durable as a normal flywheel. A DMF cannot be resurfaced and must be thrown away once worn. DMF, if warn, can explode and cause far greater damage to other mechanical parts.  My advise is to change sooner rather than later.

I wrote earlier in this thread that my Pug 2.0HDi had a DMF and changed out fora more durable single.   The reason for installing DMFs is said to be  primarily  to reduce noise and vibration. Having now used a solid flywheel I really cannot tell the difference. I find it hard to argue that the trade-off for expense and reliability is worthwhile. I hope others come here to give their opinion of whether you should convert flywheels  or not.

I was recommended and installed a LuK kit.

Glad to read that it looks like this car is a keeper.

There really isn't a valid engineering reason for dmfs in cars other than NVH becoming so important to manufacturers.  For that reason, a dmf being replaced by a conventional flywheel/clutch, as long as it is designed for the job, will work perfectly well, have a longer service life and probably go unnoticed by the driver.  It really is a stepping stone solution until European drivers finally accept automatic gear boxes or evs become the norm. 

Certainly the remap isn't happening until the clutch is done! No need for it to be at the same time though.

Today though, the 2CV came out for some parts hauling, and so we could assist @richykitchywith another ridiculous collection caper. I'll say no more, because that's for him to do, but he won't be short of tales to talk about. Once he finally gets home. I hope he gets home...

E4VWuA7XwAU95BB?format=jpg&name=small