Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Nova/Corsa had Isuzu diesels. Cracking little motors by all accounts. Rover Metro used the TUD diesel shared with Saxo/AX/106. 

Turns out the Micra K11 could be had with that PSA diesel in Europe! Suzuki Vitaras could have the larger XUD diesel too.

Clean Air Zone has arrived into Birmingham, Bristol in October and a few other places are getting one too. Pre 2015 diesels and many pre 2005 petrols will be sold off in those areas not because they're knackered but because their owners can't use them. A lot I imagine will be part-ex'd but there will be some on the open market.

How that will affect the used market I don't know. But maybe worth keeping a few saved searches around those areas. 

23 hours ago, Remspoor said:

We all know why you purchased the  Charade. But even that seems to have written it's own fate. Type for another small hatch to be called into driving school duties. That would also be great practice for the other half where she gets to experience something different. In driving that is 🤭

Get a Panda! 

(Unless it turns out you don't actually like them which we will find out in a future video soon. Hopefully!)

1 hour ago, BertiePuntoCabrio said:

Get a Panda! 

(Unless it turns out you don't actually like them which we will find out in a future video soon. Hopefully!)

I will not be getting a Panda...or do you mean DollyW?

That has been done.

Cheers. Drove a 1.1 Active Eco recently. Definitely not enough grunt in one of those!

Invacar tinkering was the order of the day. Got the old throttle cable out.

E3mcqfOXEAE6-8K?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah, it had failed pretty well at the throttle twist grip end. Started fitting a new cable using a universal kit, but it all went a bit wrong when trying to refit the twist grip and something important broke. Need a new twist grip now...

Bit irritating, but these things happen. Then I tried to fire up the new Oltcit, but either the fuel in it has totally gone off, or the level is too low. Net result is no fire. 

So I went to drive home in the 2CV and it refused to start. It oddly missed twice on the journey to the unit, but was then absolutely fine. Bit annoyed as it's booked in for MOT next week. No idea what's up with it. Had to drive home in the borrowed PT Cruiser instead.

16 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, it had failed pretty well at the throttle twist grip end. Started fitting a new cable using a universal kit, but it all went a bit wrong when trying to refit the twist grip and something important broke. Need a new twist grip now...

luckily for you? REV's twist grip is also pretty FUBAR so I made sure to get a link to the set that @Zelandeth fitted

which are these :) 

https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/twist-grip-throttle-set-with-beston-grips.html

not yet actually ordered a set myself etc yet, but they seem to fit TPA well :) 

On 04/03/2021 at 22:21, Zelandeth said:

Package arrived this morning for TPA.

IMG_20210304_154225.thumb.jpg.7e2c6f8536aa3fc00c50f259d1162016.jpg

Installation was pretty straightforward...Though I still had to fabricate a cable end.  I think I just need to go to Speedy Cables or similar and just order a proper cable.  The issue seems to be that (unsurprisingly) the cable has a standard motorcycle type barrel connector at the handlebar end...but finding off the shelf motorbike throttle cables more than a couple of metres long is tricky - and this needs to be a touch over five metres long because of the routing.  As it is having trimmed away the frayed bit of cable I'm now down to literally millimetres to spare, and it's a bit frilly at the handlebar end so will likely fail again in the not too distant future. 

Nevertheless, it does mean that I've now got matching grips on the handlebars which looks SO much better.

IMG_20210304_170827.thumb.jpg.2e42407cfd9643917a84eee5814043c4.jpg

The throttle action is also way better...It always felt very much as though it wasn't attached to anything before, so you were never quite sure how much throttle you were applying - and I'm not 100% certain that I was ever actually getting full throttle as the old twist grip was distorted and binding up at several points in its travel.  New one is all metal so should hopefully fare better.

New grips are a good deal chunkier than the old ones which I think will be a good thing.

IMG_20210304_165831.thumb.jpg.7d3f89e2c4cf32069d6bf7c1f874d6bc.jpg

Will have to wait for a test drive to be certain, but just sitting in the garage it feels better I think.

and probably worth linking to this again for throttle cable bits https://autoshite.com/topic/29443-zels-motoring-adventuresjag-citroens-mercedes-ac-model-70-0606-incorrect-parts-frustration/page/117/?tab=comments#comment-2253935

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. Drove a 1.1 Active Eco recently. Definitely not enough grunt in one of those!

Bit irritating, but these things happen. Then I tried to fire up the new Oltcit, but either the fuel in it has totally gone off, or the level is too low. Net result is no fire. 

So I went to drive home in the 2CV and it refused to start. It oddly missed twice on the journey to the unit, but was then absolutely fine. Bit annoyed as it's booked in for MOT next week. No idea what's up with it. Had to drive home in the borrowed PT Cruiser instead.

Like I said on fb use a Shimano gear selector, comes with the cruise control option.. 

On 6/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, SiC said:

Clean Air Zone has arrived into Birmingham, Bristol in October and a few other places are getting one too. Pre 2015 diesels and many pre 2005 petrols will be sold off in those areas not because they're knackered but because their owners can't use them. A lot I imagine will be part-ex'd but there will be some on the open market.

How that will affect the used market I don't know. But maybe worth keeping a few saved searches around those areas. 

So lots of decent usable cars will possibly get binned so folk can PCP their way into some modern tub of shit they can't afford & that has been produced at great cost to the environment, to allegedly save the planet...!

Cheers LBF. I'd spotted similar on eBay but can't really justify expense right now. She'll have to wait.

Went back to the unit this evening. 2CV fault was just a failed connector. Re did that, washed the C5.

IMG_20210611_184707.thumb.jpg.cb28f913bf2728617373d4d40ef49b9d.jpg

Feeling better, I drove the 2CV home. It went well*.

IMG_20210611_193729.thumb.jpg.8e97e0a83b4f48cd5ede46b25e484d0b.jpg

Clutch stopped disengaging properly. Marvellous! Managed to limp home. Old cars are gr-12.

Ha! It was fun.

Went up to the unit today. I was going to swap the 2CV for something else, having limped it there with minimal gearchanges, but then decided to investigate.

E3rEBgEXIAM9DjX?format=jpg&name=small

Pretty easy to see the issue once I looked - the two lower bellhousing nuts were loose! Explains why the clutch has started juddering as well. Did them up, all good. Quite why they were loose, I've no idea. Never had that happen before. I assume they must have been tight at some point between fitting that engine, driving to Croatia and back and now. 

57 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Ha! It was fun.

Went up to the unit today. I was going to swap the 2CV for something else, having limped it there with minimal gearchanges, but then decided to investigate.

E3rEBgEXIAM9DjX?format=jpg&name=small

Pretty easy to see the issue once I looked - the two lower bellhousing nuts were loose! Explains why the clutch has started juddering as well. Did them up, all good. Quite why they were loose, I've no idea. Never had that happen before. I assume they must have been tight at some point between fitting that engine, driving to Croatia and back and now. 

The flipside in the frustration about old cars and their quirks, is when a very simple fix cures a seemingly impossible/difficult/expensive problem...

19 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I don't think those clean air zones are about saving the planet as much as saving the lungs of the local nuns and kittens.

I read on the increasingly Daily Mail-lite Birmingham Mail/Live site that once Brum gets its air quality under control and it's at good levels, the CAZ will stop.

Followed a week later saying the current CAZ area isn't good enough and they want to expand it immediately.

Be under no doubt, that schemes like this function as a fundraiser for council Christmas parties.

6 hours ago, St.Jude said:

I read on the increasingly Daily Mail-lite Birmingham Mail/Live site that once Brum gets its air quality under control and it's at good levels, the CAZ will stop.

Followed a week later saying the current CAZ area isn't good enough and they want to expand it immediately.

Be under no doubt, that schemes like this function as a fundraiser for council Christmas parties.

Like the ripples in a lake. Just look at London to see how a scheme (or three) just spread and spread and spread.

20 minutes ago, R1152 said:

What? I thought I'd clicked the "share" link.

Sorry about that... try this: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/business/yugo-cars.html?smid=url-share

Don't be sorry, I know this site isn't the site for people who actually pay for their news stories :D

I'll give it a read now, as I'm watching Gino Fred and Grumpy Prat on ITV4, and I'm very disappointed Grumpy Prat wasn't decapitated by the wire catch fencing. 

9 hours ago, St.Jude said:

The irony of being behind a paywall that all people hate. 

Surely a pay iron curtain in this case… 

14 hours ago, R1152 said:

Seeing this made me think of Hubnut and Aging Wheels... 

They Love the Car That People Love to Hate https://nyti.ms/2TkdITB

If you like Yugo history I have to recommend this book: 

B0E926F5-2655-49FF-94DC-5109FCB0C905.jpeg

A great read, really fascinating. 

Also makes me realise mine hasn’t seen the light of day in almost 12 months…. 

A6874FCD-5210-4C82-9997-BAEF1793FEB4.jpeg

I think it's a year since I decided to buy my Yugo. That hasn't gone particularly well...

In happier news, the Matiz is back!

E36EbZ8XMAEm8-8?format=jpg&name=small

Rear sills repaired, one rear wheel arch repaired, fresh paint on the sills, buffed up so the old paint matches the new paint. Seems rather effective! I fear a mechanical overhaul is going to be needed at some point, but she's under 7000 miles from the big 100k, so hopefully she'll last that long at least. Chap doing the welding said she's remarkably solid apart from the bits needing work, so that's always good.