Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

It is fine to mention about having more tinkering but Ian isn't hiding that his "mojo" is drying up in this respect and it's no good forcing it as it'll look crap because there's no enthusiasm not to mention making Ian even more jarred off about tinkering. As said today is a different time compared to the Fox and Invacar, got a recent relationship with 2 young'uns included and the recent Covid crap didn't help.

Keep on going as you are Ian, it's your personality that keeps the interest, not the content, (well, there is a limit lol) and the tinkering urge will return and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. As for the C5, do what you feel is right, snag with going for a house is limited funds for either fixing or getting another though if getting another seriously consider getting a car where nothing is wrong with it, you can then concentrate on the rest when the urge comes back  - (says he who's Saab 900 is running out of MoT/tax/insurance in 2 months and needs plenty of work to get it to a good standard so I looked round for a motor which just needs a logbook change and quick slap of the tax etc and ended up with a Mazda 626 which needs a  lorry load of sheet metal to get it through a MoT 😞 )

First of all that monotonous, "Wizard", yes that incompetent tosser has worked magic, by grabbing on the coat tails of a YT star.  He is a typical technician where big lumps are unbolted and sent off to someone skilled to repair and he makes another drudge of a recording explaining how he did it.  For some more unwanted advice, I would have no more than 4 cars in that shed,  too easy to make clutter your enemy/excuse.   You have a great channel, so that shed is your studio/money maker so it should be a comfortable workplace.   Why not do a crossover with that masochist who loves to roll around in cold, wet driveways replacing clutches?   You would both get new followers in that great Venn diagram of subscribers: You would get a new lease of life in that family car/business parts chaser at a discount too. 

Feel free to ignore, that's what the tinternet is for. 

1 hour ago, R1152 said:

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I would however add that Ian's personal circumstances were very different in the era of TWC and Foxanne.

That's the crux of the matter really. I've gone from having almost zero ties to having a great many. Spending an entire day at the unit isn't really an option right now. (I've been away from home fir over a week as well!).

But I do need to find time again. That will happen I think.

With the caveat that this is purely man from the Internet type advice...

Personally, you’ve looked for a family chariot you actually like for a while, and now you’ve found one. Yes it needs work. If you do genuinely like it as the Hubnut family wagon it’s worth investing in. You do enough miles to need something you can rely on and comfortably take the family places, and this C5 does seem to be that.

2 hours ago, Sham said:

Agreed - too much choice of what to work on often means nothing gets done. .

Oh isn’t this so very very true! 

2 hours ago, colino said:

I would have no more than 4 cars in that shed,

I think the issue there is that there are so many keepers on the fleet, and to retain some interest, there has also to be some rotation of vehicles.  Invacar, 2CV, Matiz, Charade and Fox all appear to be permanent members. GSA isn't far behind, leaving the Yugo, Oltcits and whatever the "daily" or "family" car is.  That means 60% of the fleet is permanent at the moment.

"We're gonna need a bigger unit."  Hubnut, 2021.

Yes, but the problem is that more space just means even more cars. And I already can't keep up. 

I'm not particularly happy with how the tinkering side of things is going so will be trying a few new things. Having the cars away from home, even just a few miles away, isn't ideal. To think when I was restoring TWC, I was editing two, at one point three magazines as well! But it was so easy to swap between computer and garage, which is why I still got so much done. But because of internet stalkers, I can't even do simple tinkering at home. 

I'm hoping the Oltcit will help me regain a bit of focus. Let's see how that goes.

17 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

But because of internet stalkers, I can't even do simple tinkering at home. 

Is this really a thing? Do we really have people who think this is acceptable? I sometimes watch the American stuff like Hoovies Garage and WatchJRGo and wonder if anybody ever just wanders up and knocks on their door? They don’t seem to make much effort to hide where they live.

Likewise, I’ve seen something called Rural Vermonter where he lives in the absolute middle of nowhere but comments how he’s keeping road signs and routes off YouTube to stop people turning up.

Edit; I’d enjoy watching a C5 clutch change.

15 hours ago, R1152 said:

My life in a nutshell, sadly ☹️

On a serious note, it becomes overwhelming and so the "do nothing and pretend the problem isn't there" option prevails, e.g. spend too much time on teh Interwebz forums rather than fixing/doing stuff.

See my username. 😁

13 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Is this really a thing? Do we really have people who think this is acceptable? I sometimes watch the American stuff like Hoovies Garage and WatchJRGo and wonder if anybody ever just wanders up and knocks on their door? They don’t seem to make much effort to hide where they live.

Likewise, I’ve seen something called Rural Vermonter where he lives in the absolute middle of nowhere but comments how he’s keeping road signs and routes off YouTube to stop people turning up.

Edit; I’d enjoy watching a C5 clutch change.

Well, if you put yourself on YouTube with several channels, go on about how you live in "Paradise" and give several clues away as to where you live, you can't really complain about your privacy being invaded, can you?

18 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Well, if you put yourself on YouTube with several channels, go on about how you live in "Paradise" and give several clues away as to where you live, you can't really complain about your privacy being invaded, can you?

I dunno, I don't think it matters how easy or hard it is to "find" a youtube creator, randomly turning up at their home definitely crosses a line.

1 hour ago, R1152 said:

Yes, you can. People need to realise that you don't 'own' someone just because you've seen them on a laptop or telly. I dread to think what it's like for actual celebrities, but no-one should expect to be stalked just because they have a job some people consider nice. These are usually the same people who think being a YouTuber is no work at all.

Anyway, back to the bit of the UK in which I live today. Suspect the drive will be horrible. C5 all loaded up and hoping the clutch will be ok.

30 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

If the masochist clutch changer does not work out, how about asking your local garage, to do the clutch, but ask if you can set up some fixed cameras to record it.

Y'see, now that I would refuse as I would consider it an invasion of my privacy.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, you can. People need to realise that you don't 'own' someone just because you've seen them on a laptop or telly. I dread to think what it's like for actual celebrities, but no-one should expect to be stalked just because they have a job some people consider nice.

I think you're being a wee bit naive there, Ian.

9 minutes ago, R1152 said:

When I worked at Brands Hatch all manner of celebrities and famous folk turned up. Many queued with the public and paid on the gate, made no big deal about "do you know who I am?". I treated them with the same courtesy as I did any regular Joe who turned up. A few were arseholes when we didn't fawn to them, but for the bulk of famous people treating them as a normal member of the public was appreciated.

I've seen all manner of celebrities in public as well and when I have collected bins at their homes. Again a good morning, lovely weather etc and no pandering or asking for photo opportunities goes down a long way and then they regularly come out for a chat.

33 minutes ago, R1152 said:

What dozeydustman said. Many years ago I used to work in a store round the corner from the Man Utd stadium. We'd get a semi-regular custom from big name players, but made sure to treat them the same courtesy as everyone else who walked in the doors.. 

If Ian's running a social event then asking for a photo etc is probably fair game, if you ask politely. Otherwise him and the family deserve the same level of privacy as you or I get going about our daily lives.

50 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Maybe, but the way he's described it is the way things should be.  Anything else is unacceptable.

Oh, I agree - but if you voluntarily put yourself into the public domain, you must expect that for some, you are now public property - whether you're a Hollywood film star or a YouTuber. How many will want to meet "Mr. HubNut" should he attend the FotU, having seen him on the "telly"?

I'm very wary about privacy on the Internet - even here I worry that I may already have given too much away about my RL identity.

But hey - back to the C5 and why it's worth having money spent on it to make it the semi-ideal HubNut family transport...

8 minutes ago, R1152 said:

How many will want to meet "Mr. HubNut" should he attend the FotU, having seen him on the "telly"?

I can't imagine that's so much of the issue.  The real problem mentioned above was uninvited callers at the location where filming is done, be that at Ian's unit, or (worse) at home.

There are clearly precautions that could be taken:  If the footage was of NOTHING but indoor spaces and the vehicles in question, then it would be very hard, maybe impossible to locate a particular YouTube content creator.  However, that makes for a fairly sterile channel, so of course people include outside space, driving on local roads etc, which then means they can be located.

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

I can't imagine that's so much of the issue.  The real problem mentioned above was uninvited callers at the location where filming is done, be that at Ian's unit, or (worse) at home.

There are clearly precautions that could be taken:  If the footage was of NOTHING but indoor spaces and the vehicles in question, then it would be very hard, maybe impossible to locate a particular YouTube content creator.  However, that makes for a fairly sterile channel, so of course people include outside space, driving on local roads etc, which then means they can be located.

Yes - I remember him having trouble with uninvited callers when he lived at his previous location. That was a location all too easy to find with the aid of Google Maps.

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

When I worked at Brands Hatch all manner of celebrities and famous folk turned up. Many queued with the public and paid on the gate, made no big deal about "do you know who I am?". I treated them with the same courtesy as I did any regular Joe who turned up. A few were arseholes when we didn't fawn to them, but for the bulk of famous people treating them as a normal member of the public was appreciated.

I've seen all manner of celebrities in public as well and when I have collected bins at their homes. Again a good morning, lovely weather etc and no pandering or asking for photo opportunities goes down a long way and then they regularly come out for a chat.

I'm not sure I'd recognise any actual celebrities.

Once in Larne we walked past a gaggle of people and Mrs E said something like 'that's so-and-so from such-and-such film'.

I'm like: eh? Who? What? Why do I care?

It turns out I had seen the film, but I'm a miserable sod who doesn't really like too many films or TV, nor do I care for the people who made them.

I find the thought of people turning up at your house or following you around or being overly needy of conversation  with you because of this para-social relationship thing quite odd.

Having said that, the way you filmed yourself driving home all the time meant it was hard to not know where you lived @dollywobblerif you know the area at all. I guess there are some nut-nuts who see that as an invitation. 

Can't be nice having people turning up.

Furious Driving guy works from home though, I wonder how he deals with it!

18 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I sometimes watch the American stuff like Hoovies Garage and WatchJRGo and wonder if anybody ever just wanders up and knocks on their door? They don’t seem to make much effort to hide where they live.

Doug is more discreet, but it amazes me how Hoovie broadcasts his suburban McMansion - drives out from his house along the same roads time after time, talks about the hanger where his overflow cars are etc (showing pics of outside). I hope the Wizard has great security as he sometimes has many £££ of Hoovie's cars at once. 

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

I'm not sure I'd recognise any actual celebrities.

Once in Larne we walked past a gaggle of people and Mrs E said something like 'that's so-and-so from such-and-such film'.

I'm like: eh? Who? What? Why do I care?

It turns out I had seen the film, but I'm a miserable sod who doesn't really like too many films or TV, nor do I care for the people who made them.

I find the thought of people turning up at your house or following you around or being overly needy of conversation  with you because of this para-social relationship thing quite odd.

Having said that, the way you filmed yourself driving home all the time meant it was hard to not know where you lived @dollywobblerif you know the area at all. I guess there are some nut-nuts who see that as an invitation. 

Can't be nice having people turning up.

Furious Driving guy works from home though, I wonder how he deals with it!

James Bolam, Michael Gambon, Joe Pasquale, Nicholas Lyndhurst and Jack Dee are some of the famous people I have met on the bin rounds over the years; I don't disclose where they live to others. James Bolam always waits at his bin to speak to the crew before he takes it back up his drive. A very modest and friendly man. Michael Gambon is very similar and the first time he spoke to us was when he told us not to give his dog a biscuit!