Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

3 hours ago, maxxo said:

this is how my 110 accelerates, to me this feels really rather rapid for a diesel auto estate car

I know that wasn't aimed at me, but that looks reasonable for a HDI110 auto estate.  Was that on kickdown, or just full power?

14 hours ago, Talbot said:

I know that wasn't aimed at me, but that looks reasonable for a HDI110 auto estate.  Was that on kickdown, or just full power?

it was about 80% throttle, kicked down from 2nd to first right at the start, does seem to go really well for what it is

16 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Not sure Maxxo. Sounds a bit edgier and more eager though. Haven't touch the C5 for a week as the GSA has been sole car again. Swapping back tomorrow. Though actually, I might get the 2CV out for a bit... 

I do sometimes wonder why I bother with non-Citroens! 

it's weird with mine, i did do a fair few miles in a mk1 C4 with the 1.6 HDi 110.....C5 is much much faster than that, which i find strange as that was a smaller lighter car with a more revvy engine

i don't blame you though, that GSA is gorgeous

(Content spoiler). Tried replacing the tailgate struts today. Turns out I bought the wrong ones - the proper ones seem to be £100 per pair...

Which may be the straw for this camel's back. It needs a clutch. I think it probably need rear arm bearings. It needs tailgate struts. In other words, it needs £1000 of expenditure. Clutch is a huge job that's going to cost £650-750 on its own. I like the car, but I don't love it. I've not really had long enough with it to decide if I want to commit to that sort of money, especially when we're looking to house hunt and cut down expenditure a bit. 

Oh, and I've bought another Oltcit...

Oltcits.jpg

Yes, I sadly think that's going to be the case. I hate the idea of breaking a car, but it would be an insanely brave project to try and revive that one. But with such an unusual car, you at least know every bit of it (well, maybe not the charred bits) is going to be useful.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

(Content spoiler). Tried replacing the tailgate struts today. Turns out I bought the wrong ones - the proper ones seem to be £100 per pair...

Which may be the straw for this camel's back. It needs a clutch. I think it probably need rear arm bearings. It needs tailgate struts. In other words, it needs £1000 of expenditure. Clutch is a huge job that's going to cost £650-750 on its own. I like the car, but I don't love it. I've not really had long enough with it to decide if I want to commit to that sort of money, especially when we're looking to house hunt and cut down expenditure a bit. 

Oh, and I've bought another Oltcit...

Oltcits.jpg

Isn't @brownnovathinking of selling their later C5 estate, wpuld probably be cheaper than fixing yours.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

In other Romanian car news, three years today since we bought the Mighty Dacia! What an adventure that was.

Dacia.jpg

I always thought that Brian/messiah bloke was a brunette..... he should get a  bumper sticker made up sayin jesus drives a Dacia..... and await the looks as they overtake......

4 hours ago, Crackers said:

How on earth did you manage that?

Shouldn't that read "Why on Earth did you do that?"

Sorry to be sensible an'all that, but wouldn't that money have been better put towards a new home/fixing the C5?

(says a bloke up to his earholes in debt and selling things off from a collection of forty years to try and remedy this before he retires)

8 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

£2 flipping grand! Mine is for sale to whoever wants it for £1,899 with new tyres and a recent belt... Crikey, £2k!

Currently down in Sussex, putting yet more miles on the C5 by attending the Retro Rides Weekender - which was awesome. 

But, on the way back to our lodgings, there was definitely a clutch slip moment. A dickhead in a Mitsu L200 didn't indicate on a mini roundabout but hit it at speed. I slammed the anchors on, then realised I didn't have to and tried to keep moving in third gear. Bit slow for third, and the result was a fair clutch slip. Bother. Still have a lot of miles to cover, so hopefully it'll be ok, but what's the market value of a C5 with a duff clutch? Sod all I reckon. Ugh.

41 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Currently down in Sussex, putting yet more miles on the C5 by attending the Retro Rides Weekender - which was awesome. 

But, on the way back to our lodgings, there was definitely a clutch slip moment. A dickhead in a Mitsu L200 didn't indicate on a mini roundabout but hit it at speed. I slammed the anchors on, then realised I didn't have to and tried to keep moving in third gear. Bit slow for third, and the result was a fair clutch slip. Bother. Still have a lot of miles to cover, so hopefully it'll be ok, but what's the market value of a C5 with a duff clutch? Sod all I reckon. Ugh.

I hope this wasn't there when it departed me; I didn't notice it, but I only put on about 2.5k miles on it in the last 12 months, it was only doing small miles with me.  If it was @dollywobbler, let me know and I'll see if we can work something out. 

You've had issues too. Cheap old cars occasionally bite you. I can't really complain given the miles it's already done with me! But I'm really not sure I want to sink money into it in case it bites me harder. Really stuck on this one, but I'll focus on getting back home first, where other cars can help share the load.

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Driving in the south of England has reduced economy from 55mpg to 47mpg. Ugh.

You mean the angry traffic jam the call South of England and also Cheshire and large parts of the Midlands?

Every time I go there i see dangerous driving and road rage. 

Needs to be done sometimes but driving in paradise is much nicer.