Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Lovely thing and a cavernous boot aswell. Pretty much covers everything. The thing I like about big french cars is even if it's not the highest spec you still get comfy seats and enough toys to keep you entertained. Some other marques is like sitting in a cow shed in anything other than top spec. Great swap

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

i can't see PSA doing something like that......

all the pedals are controlled by a bar from the passenger side for example

Might it be an alignment issue perchance? I forgot that it was still rather French in design!

The rear wiper may well be because the motor is in the tailgate and doesn't lift separately with the glass - therefore there can be alignment issues. I'll have a play. A mate of mine managed to get the glass open (he knows them well) but the outside button is definitely broken. I can't say I much care. 

As for power, it definitely felt more sprightly after the run to Derbyshire on 'fancy' fuel. Could be entirely placebo, but I was definitely not having to downchange on hills that previously required it, so I reckon it is pulling a little better. 

But it hasn't moved since Thursday as I've been putting some miles on the GSA, including taking part in a classic car run today.

Ez0RdqbXoAA7QTL?format=jpg&name=small

Quite a nice mix of cars, despite what that pic suggests - a 1929 Chevrolet, a 1965 Lancia Fulvia coupe and a rare Morris Eight Series E drophead being the highlights (which I failed to take pictures of, they should be in a subsequent video). It was just so nice to do a simple, classic car outing with actual people again.

Today I played with the PT Cruiser for a bit, determined that the rear calipers are shot and threw a bit more paint at the 2CV. I don't have any pics of that, but I then did a Post Run in the Invacar, and I do have a photo! 

Ez5_plqWQAQo3xt?format=jpg&name=small

Apols to Zel but I failed to check the engine for crankshaft fore and aft. Hopefully this week at some point! Always good to have a buzz about in the Invacar though. A guaranteed way to make people smile.

Some more C5 findings. I drove it for about eight hours on Wednesday - not one bit of motorway and barely any dual carriageway. The ride certainly struggles with the third-world roads of Hereford, but it's otherwise fairly comfortable. My lower back is starting to complain now, but then I've covered about 1500 miles in a fortnight and I don't take enough breaks. 

So, still winning for comfort I reckon, and I genuinely love using it as a daily. It's easy to drive, if a bit big, and fun on the twisty stuff. Last fill-to-fill returned 55mpg too, so it's consistent (54 last time). 

Downsides? Hideous triangle of doom, auto wipers that don't seem to work (seems a default time period, regardless of rain level), rear wiper blade from Euro Car Parts that doesn't actually fit, screenwash that only operates on the front, regardless of which end you're trying to wash, an occasional sluggishness of clutch that makes me wonder how much life it has left in it, a heater that seems very difficult to get heat out of unless you select 24 degrees, a voltmeter that lies, knackered tailgate struts and a sticky reverse gear detent collar. 

Genuinely surprised at how much I like it though. 

In other news, I'm steadily making an utter mess of the 2CV, chasing out some bubbles under the paint. Escalated somewhat.

E0N4tOvWUAIoX7W?format=jpg&name=small

The dark grey is etch primer, which seems to be doing a grand job of adhering to the metalwork. The yellow is spray-on body filler, that I hoped might help me smooth out some of the imperfections in the panel. Hasn't quite gone to plan as it seems quite thin. I think I'm going to do my usual trick of file it under 'can't be arse' and will just slap some paint on. I'm not after perfection, I just want no moisture under the paint (the original issue) and to be able to enjoy driving it again. It has barely rained at all since I started this job!

Meanwhile, my girlfriend has been heroically rearranging all my crap at the unit to make extra space. It had got to the point that I can't fit all the cars in, and there's no room to work on them either. It's a bit better now, but still work to do. 

E0N4iXzXsAInrZv?format=jpg&name=small

Bear in mind that not pictured are the Rover 75, Chrysler PT Cruiser (sold and loaner), Citroen GSA (sharing daily duty), Citroen C5 (daily) and Daewoo Matiz (away for paint/bodywork by someone that isn't me). Oltcit is hiding behind the Fox, Sana in front of 2CV.

@dollywobbler may I suggest a lumbar cushion?  I use it on our work Octavia ambulance cars cos the seats are crap and I spend long periods on standby on it.  They genuinely work for me but everyone's back is slightly different. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everlasting-Comfort-100-Memory-Cushion/dp/B01IJNJAZ0

4 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Looks quite thick though? May be worth a go, even to just change seating position for a bit.

I cant specifically find mine as it's unbranded but that looks the same idea.  Mine may be somewhat narrower.  This looks more like it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supportiback®-Posture-Therapy-Support-Cushion/dp/B01MFAEY4C/ref=psdc_3229395031_t1_B01IJNJAZ0

I got mine in TK-Max of all places in their odds and sods section.

Just measured mine, and it's about the same dimensions of this one thereabouts.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

rear wiper blade from Euro Car Parts that doesn't actually fit

Nobody was shocked. It's probably a front wiper blade for a Ford Capri.

Still, Maybe that's a sign they're slowly improving, Usually if you order a rear wiper blade at ECP, somebody comes through handing you an exhaust backbox for a Corsa.

Just watched the potted history of the 2CV.

Gave me an idea.

With enough money build your own version with the bits you like the most.

For me suicide doors, More luxurious seating, larger engine with disc brakes , early steering wheel and the 1960s speedo with wonky lines and numbering. early rear lamps, with LEDs to make them brighter. 12 volt electrics.

Just watched the Speaker upgrade upgrade video.

The issue with no rear screen wash is that the motor on the pump has  broken.  Or power from the circuit has failed. I understand it turns one direction for the front and the other for the rear.

Before pulling the pump and risk disturbing the seals, I'd just disconnect the plug and stick a meter or test light in the terminals and see if it's getting voltage when activating front/rear washer.  The pumps are relatively cheap. Accesses could be troublesome. Checking for voltage/pump replacement could give you some video content.

If the washer jets are the same as Peugeots then they are not adjustable.

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Just watched the Speaker upgrade upgrade video.

The issue with no rear screen wash is that the motor on the pump has  broken.  Or power from the circuit has failed. I understand it turns one direction for the front and the other for the rear.

Before pulling the pump and risk disturbing the seals, I'd just disconnect the plug and stick a meter or test light in the terminals and see if it's getting voltage when activating front/rear washer.  The pumps are relatively cheap. Accesses could be troublesome. Checking for voltage/pump replacement could give you some video content.

If the washer jets are the same as Peugeots then they are not adjustable.

I put a new washer pump on it 3 years ago, genuine one as well. It's be very surprised if it's broken. 

To get rear wash it's just the polarity of the motor changes, so if the fronts working, the rear should be working too, I suspect the problems elsewhere.  The one motor does both front and back and the one tank feeds both screens. 

I think I mostly can't be arsed to do anything about it, though that might change once the weather gets grim again. So far, I've mostly driven this car in sunshine - being very glad of the twin sunvisors. Sorting the tailgate struts (or at least making a 'temporary' prop) is a higher priority.

I have replaced the rear wiper blade. The Euro Car Parts one will become a 'free' blade for side windows and the like. Ebay purchase blade fits a treat and is slightly smaller. Doesn't properly click into the arm, but meh.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I think I mostly can't be arsed to do anything about it, though that might change once the weather gets grim again. So far, I've mostly driven this car in sunshine - being very glad of the twin sunvisors. Sorting the tailgate struts (or at least making a 'temporary' prop) is a higher priority.

I have replaced the rear wiper blade. The Euro Car Parts one will become a 'free' blade for side windows and the like. Ebay purchase blade fits a treat and is slightly smaller. Doesn't properly click into the arm, but meh.

You will be keeping it that long? It must be a good car.

Yesterday, I gave the MAF a clean with some iffy stuff I bought on Ebay years ago. Tried it on the Primera and not a lot changed, but while it could easily be placebo effect, I'm sure the C5 now feels a bit more sprightly and seems to boost harder. Not ready for the drag strip yet, but if it's a free fix, I'm going to take it.

Still persevering with steadily ruining the 2CV, but after the first coat of paint, I realised I need to rub it all back and use some filler to get everything smooth. Filler ordered. 

2CV Paint today. Ideal* conditions.

E1a-C6EWUAAdq3F?format=jpg&name=900x900

Just about avoided getting rained on. Top coat is on now, with reassembly to commence once the paint has hardened. It'll look pretty shit, because I did it.

Thought I'd celebrate by taking the Invacar out for a run, but only got halfway to the road before the throttle cable snapped. At least it did it there! Had to limp back on choke, then operate the throttle in the engine bay to coax her back into the unit. Quality.