Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Yes, wiper works, but when you operate the rear washer, the front washers come on. Because French. The plastic cover on the wiper can be pulled off and has clearly been messily glued back in place before...

It's hilariously French. The suspension adjusts itself when it feels like, even when you're nowhere near it. Occasionally the dials will start moving even when the key isn't in it.

IMG_20210414_201828.jpg

Best of luck with the new car, Ian! I was quite surprised to see Carly commenting on Twitter that she found the Primera uncomfortable. My mother in law had a P12, and I can tell you that was uncomfortable, and had appalling visibility to boot. Oh yeah, and I had the misfortune of having to replace the starting motor on it. Back of the engine! Ah yeah! I can't say I ever found the P11 to be an uncomfortable car to tell the truth, but comfort can be relative. 

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, wiper works, but when you operate the rear washer, the front washers come on. Because French. The plastic cover on the wiper can be pulled off and has clearly been messily glued back in place before...

It's hilariously French. The suspension adjusts itself when it feels like, even when you're nowhere near it. Occasionally the dials will start moving even when the key isn't in it.

IMG_20210414_201828.jpg

The rear wash is very intermittent. My Irish C5 did it and this one did it too, but occasionally it works. It's just French. And the result of this canbus/bsi system. 

However, if the rear washer comes on when you push the front, the pump is certainly blocked with crud. It's in the lower left front wing, the pump operates front and back wash, by running the pump in forward or reverse. There's a little shuttle that blocks the opposing pump outlet and sometimes a bit of crud gets stuck in it. I replaced the pump with a genuine one (Peugeot actually, same part) 4 years ago and it can be stripped and cleaned. 

I'd no idea about the rear tailgate or the mess with the glue, it's something that I'd just never used (or knew existed to be honest). 

I fully approve of the C5. The estate looks bigger than a Volvo V70, it’s massive! I kind of want one again myself after flipping a very early HDi hatchback bought for just £350 ages ago. It felt quite lovely in a squishy cheap French way. The early ones sound like the most reliable* option, certainly avoid the 2.2. I had a good couple trouble free years in a Xantia some time ago before. I still miss the waft, but they are getting a bit old to daily now.

EDIT: I would be looking at the earth points going by the description of those electrical gremlins.

14 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

I fully approve of the C5. The estate looks bigger than a Volvo V70, it’s massive! I kind of want one again myself after flipping a very early HDi hatchback bought for just £350 ages ago. It felt quite lovely in a squishy cheap French way. The early ones sound like the most reliable* option, certainly avoid the 2.2. I had a good couple trouble free years in a Xantia some time ago before. I still miss the waft, but they are getting a bit old to daily now.

EDIT: I would be looking at the earth points going by the description of those electrical gremlins.

The early 8v DW10 engines are the ones to go for I think. 

Enjoyed the C5 video very much, bought back fond memories of my 2001 2.0hdi sx I had, probably 10 years ago now! . Same seats etc. Always wanted an estate but we're too expensive at the time. Nice place to sit and I actually quite like the unusual looks. Strangely enough I never quite gelled with it so have been dailying a Xantia ever since (except a saab vert!). 

With regards wheel balancing, if it has the same sx alloys mine had they are centreless and a pita to balance properly. I took mine back countless times to get it done (Ebley tyres) . In the end F 1 autocentre had the correct adapter and they got it right first time.

So comfy, your video has made me want one again. Would be a good back to back test with my silver xantia estate 2.0hdi 110! 

Have a pleasant waft!

DSC_0245.JPG

On 4/16/2021 at 11:28 PM, Broadsword said:

Also check how old the battery is.  These cars (along with pretty much any PSA car from the Xantia era onwards) can be incredibly picky about system voltage, and even the slightest bit of sag because of a tired battery can cause all manner of weirdness.  They really don't seem to last long these days anyway.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, 2cvspecial said:

meant citroen !

Why not both? ;-)

EzRi453VcAMzGGk?format=jpg&name=large

Some fun today. I'm in Gloucestershire as it happens, and the C5 is going very well bar the wheel wobble. I swapped the wheels around but it's still awful.

I am VERY tempted to get it a remap though. It just doesn't have enough grunt to deal with the weight and tall gearing. Mind you, it's so comfortable I find myself wondering what the rush is...

Temp gauge only sometimes went high today, though the voltmeter is permanently at the high end. I really MUST sort out the speakers too. I like my music and every speaker seems to have blown. 

42 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Why not both? ;-)

Some fun today. I'm in Gloucestershire as it happens, and the C5 is going very well bar the wheel wobble. I swapped the wheels around but it's still awful.

I am VERY tempted to get it a remap though. It just doesn't have enough grunt to deal with the weight and tall gearing. Mind you, it's so comfortable I find myself wondering what the rush is...

Temp gauge only sometimes went high today, though the voltmeter is permanently at the high end. I really MUST sort out the speakers too. I like my music and every speaker seems to have blown. 

A friend had a 110bhp hatch when they were fairly new and my Mum had the 406 with th same engine,  I had a Passat with their 1.9 110bhp, the PSA engine seemed feeble in the way it delivered the power, but once upto speed floated along nicely, the C5 took us to southern France on a number of occasions.. 

TL-DR Comfy but not for getting a hustle on..

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Why not both? ;-)

good point saw on your twitter DW what do the kids think of "OBO"

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Also check how old the battery is.  These cars (along with pretty much any PSA car from the Xantia era onwards) can be incredibly picky about system voltage, and even the slightest bit of sag because of a tired battery can cause all manner of weirdness.  They really don't seem to last long these days anyway.

Battery is a Yasu one fitted January 19. I remember as I paid £120 to the AA man as I was late for work and it was my only car.

Volt meter is normally at the white end of the gauge seems to correspond to 13.9-14.2v. It's a fresh alternator @dollywobbler , middle of the gauge is about 12v, you'll see that if you don't drive it for a while when you start it. 

And it was throwing up all sorts of errors when the alternator wasn't happy; Braking, ABS, Immobiliser faults. 

If you need to reset it, I'd follow this guide, they don't like being disconnected randomly.

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61997

Sounds like it. Mine is definitely a bit sluggish. More lively than the Rover, but it just doesn't have the grunt for the gearing.

Still, had a nice waft through The Cotswolds earlier.

EzVQo06VoAsfGtn?format=jpg&name=small

But I could not go much further without sorting the wheel balance issue.

EzWJOidUUAAGkxY?format=jpg&name=small

Sooooo much better! I still reckon it needs discs and pads, possibly all-round as the brake judder remains, but at least I have no worries about getting vibration white finger now. £35 well spent, especially as they had to faff about changing the machine for STUPID wheels with no centre hole.

Got home fairly recently and I really am starting to like this. Backache is notably absent after 600 miles in five days. Would welcome speaker suggestions though as I need tunes! Back on the road tomorrow...

Back out on the road again today. Busy times! 

EzaMZDLXIAA7FVE?format=jpg&name=small

Enjoying the waft very much, and 54mpg for the first 600 miles seems pretty good. Up to about 700 since purchase now.

One thing I did today was drive a Xantia with exactly the same engine, which felt much more sprightly. Kerb weight isn't as different as I expected, about 50-60kg, so I'm not sure that explains the difference. 

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Back out on the road again today. Busy times! 

EzaMZDLXIAA7FVE?format=jpg&name=small

Enjoying the waft very much, and 54mpg for the first 600 miles seems pretty good. Up to about 700 since purchase now.

One thing I did today was drive a Xantia with exactly the same engine, which felt much more sprightly. Kerb weight isn't as different as I expected, about 50-60kg, so I'm not sure that explains the difference. 

When I had my C5 the Maf sensor was failing, replacement with a genuine one restored all of the horses. Funnily enough it was after I'd driven my dad's 110 hdi xantia I thought the performance was not right in the C5. I've heard only genuine Mafs are any good, avoid cheap ones on ebay and the like. That's only hearsay though as I only tried the real thing! 

54mpg is excellent though! 

1000 miles covered. Really starting to like it. I'm sure the engine is getting better too, which may or may not be related to going crazy and chucking £70 of BP Ultimate Diesel in it and spanking its arse. 

I do need to sort the brake judder out, which I think is the horrific-looking rears. I also need to sort the speakers out as it's DISTORTION FEST. I even reckon the air con is actually working, albeit not well. It might actually be as simple as a regas. 

I do have to admit that it's exceptionally odd watching your (former) car on YouTube. 

Couple of small things @dollywobbler

I replaced the former lock nuts with normal nuts. Figuring no one wanted Citroen alloys with no centres and that the OEM lock nuts were made of cheese, it was a no brainer to replace them with normal bolts. The lock nuts would be done up by monkey at a tyre fitter and I'd never be able to remove them, so they got thrown in the bin. There's only 3 of the 4 plastic covers now, I think the lock nut one was a slightly different design. 

Second, I do have a oil filter I found in a cupboard as well as a spare washer unit and switch somewhere as I'd ordered a couple once because I usually changed the oil frequently.  I'll post them when I'm off again. I used to most the oil changes with a pela pump as I got a bollocking off the landlord for spilling black used oil once, as a result the oil changes were 3-5k miles (you can see a fresh Bosch filter on there). Wouldn't bother with the fuel filter for a while, was only done during the summer. 

Oh yes, the dissimilar metals and the rear calipers did cause problems on the xantia too. I'd had ones that went a little askew and dragged the rear brakes on my late Irish Xantia. They were properly binding but this C5 never did sound like that, you'd hear them rubbing properly otherwise. 

I'm all for being different but just a conventional brake design wouldn't go amiss... 

Those plastic cover often go missing. They can be fragile. There is a special tool to remove them.

Like this.

https://www.dmegapot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=516862

I have a 2.0 HDi in a 307 SW. Whilst no ball of fire it is more than adequate for overtakes and merging. Powers up hill with fully loaded or with six passengers without any issues.

I said earlier you need to get a scan on the correct Lexia/Peugeot Planet. Other scanners are not so thorough. My guess is that may be the MAF causing acceleration issues

2 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

+1   one  the MAF, everyone over on FCF talks about a non-genuine MAF basically ruining the car! It might be worth checking what is installed on yours. 

It's a second hand MAF out of a C5 put in shortly after I bought it. Sort of thing, I'll see how it goes and if it doesn't work I'll replace it with a new one, it was cheap enough to chance and it worked. I was between University and Work so money wasn't spare at the time for a £120 Valeo sensor. I did tell @dollywobblerabout this.

Personally I didn't think it's that down on Power. I've had the exact same car on Irish plates and it was about the same. They're 12 seconds to 60mph so they're not quick cars in any sense of the word. 

The previous MAF was definitely gone. Wasn't boosting at all. And I mean at all, no pull until about 2400rpm. This will boost from 1300rpm or so. 

This one restored it to what it was before the first MAF went. 

8 hours ago, Spurious said:

It's a second hand MAF out of a C5 put in shortly after I bought it. Sort of thing, I'll see how it goes and if it doesn't work I'll replace it with a new one, it was cheap enough to chance and it worked. I was between University and Work so money wasn't spare at the time for a £120 Valeo sensor. I did tell @dollywobblerabout this.

Personally I didn't think it's that down on Power. I've had the exact same car on Irish plates and it was about the same. They're 12 seconds to 60mph so they're not quick cars in any sense of the word. 

The previous MAF was definitely gone. Wasn't boosting at all. And I mean at all, no pull until about 2400rpm. This will boost from 1300rpm or so. 

This one restored it to what it was before the first MAF went. 

Ah okay. I’m running a 2nd hand genuine MAF too on my sis’s 2.2 but that goes like a rocket— but recently cost a fortune on DPF stuff. 

I recently had a case of MAF failure but it wasn't the actual sensor, the wiring had chafed and split.

Always worth checking wires and plugs if you suspect the MAF is at issue. 

Though as @Spurioussays, if the MAF has gone you won't get boost until well over 2,000rpm.