Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

I think what I would do (/what id like to see from my comfy chair LOL)

is grab the good oltcit and use the sadly fire damaged one as a parts car to get the Good oltcit on the road

but I would not get rid of the Sana but just mothball it, and focus all your energy on getting the Oltcit on the road and just dont worry about the Sana

and then when the oltcit project project is done, you can turn to the Sana and go from there :)

No failure. Sometimes you take on things that appear to be a good idea. Then later on  you have to make a choice about the project.

Life at the moment is not easy things have changed and that must have some impact.

One cannot save everything, if that was the car there would not be older shite cars on eBay any longer. 😉 We (this forum) would have purchased them all.

Look at SilvaNitro (what ever he is called) boy he takes on some horrendously difficult projects. ....... Oh that gives me a thought, give the cars to him to make good.🤣

I don't class it as a failure. You were maybe guilty of being unrealistic but bloody hell who hasn't done that ? !

I think it would be a shame to keep two cars that are rare & not give somebody else the chance to get them running. All they're doing currently is mouldering, taking up space & will eventually start to bug you (I reckon).

As Cookiesoutwest said, you saved them. Therefore I reckon you've done your bit, now get rid.

4 hours ago, Fumbler said:

+2 on the Sana, it is a UK market oddball which, to me, is more interesting than the Oltcit.

+3 on the Sana.

33 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

True I guess, though I did convince myself that I could save both cars, so that was very much a fail. A clear-out does seem a good idea though. I'd love a bit more tinkering space, and neither of these projects is realistic sadly.

There’s no rush on either car. There’s no need to think they need doing straight away. Look at my Yugo... it’s an easier project and it hasn’t made any progress in the last 8 months. But there’s no rush, I’d wanted to get it done by now so I’m frustrated by that, but like you I keep buying more cars! Doesn’t make it a failure. If I was to choose one to keep it would be the Sana... to me that’s a more interesting car.

If you did get rid of 1 or both, that would mean space for 1or 2 more cars at the unit... What would you get! 

The fact you have taken these 2 on means they still exist, they could have been scrapped or deteriorated even more if left outside for another winter so you have saved them. You may have time/skills/space/motivation for them one day. And look at the exposure these 2 forgotton cars have had! 

Ian you've seen my garage, it's large but packed full of cars with not enough room to work in, which is why I am pruning the fleet!

I think the effort to get the Sana an Olcit driveable and on the road will take ages and drain your enthusiasm for them. Hopefully with summer and (fingers crossed!) your out of lockdown, time will be spent getting out and about visiting shows, test drives and hubnut socials, with little time spare to devote to these two. Use your time for Elly/Myrtle and Foxanne.

What would make good content, is dragging the Sana to an Autoshite field of dreams event, and having all the knowledagble folks on here do an all hands on deck get her temporarily wired up, started and driven around the field, then post-event sold as a running driving car. But that's easily said from 18,000 miles away!

Cheers

Steve

Wobbler is old enough to have a proper licence.  I know that because he's older than me and I'm old enough to have a proper licence.

Edit:  Even those with post-'97 licences can tow a car though provided the train weight doesn't exceed 3.5T.  So something like an Oltcit on a lightweight trailer behind a Mondeo would be fine.

Gave the Primera a wash, and then even ran around with a touch-up pen for some of the many scratches it has, some of which were starting to rust a little.

CONKORSE M9

ExVnJ5JWQAEm2QU?format=jpg&name=small

It's come up fairly well, but does rather highlight all the minor damage it has picked up over the years. So many scrapes! I also cleaned the MAF to see if that would improve the low down grunt issue, but I'm fairly sure it made no difference at all other than to sort the idle out (which was a bit all over the place, but now drops down more cleanly). There will be a boring video of the wash tomorrow as I failed to successfully record either the MAF tinkering, or the subsequent test drive. Go me!

Also ordered fresh gaskets to sort out the 2CV. Entirely plausible that the carburettor is no longer flat as there's a massive air leak down there.

On 3/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, wuvvum said:

Wobbler is old enough to have a proper licence.  I know that because he's older than me and I'm old enough to have a proper licence.

Edit:  Even those with post-'97 licences can tow a car though provided the train weight doesn't exceed 3.5T.  So something like an Oltcit on a lightweight trailer behind a Mondeo would be fine.

I'm not* bitter, I missed out by about half a year before I was 17, and about 9 month before I got my full licence. 

On 3/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, wuvvum said:

Unlikely.  Remember that the post '97 licences are based on maximum weights, not actuals, so a mondeo towing a car transporter trailer will almost certainly be over, even though the actual weight might be below 3.5t

</threaddrift>

Depends on the trailer.  If you have one old enough that it doesn't need a weight plate (or a home-made trailer of indeterminate age), you'll get away with it as Plod won't be able to determine the max weight of the trailer so can only use its actual weight.  If you're using a modern commercial trailer with a plate to show it can carry 2 tonnes then yes, that would be a problem.