Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Video here for those interested. Starts at 7pm.

The best head-to-head are often the ones nobody asks for, or thinks to ask for. 

How is 10hp enough for two passengers and driver and luggage? It clearly is anyway. 

I also love the distinctly West African sounding music at the end there. 

Edit: I'm not complaining about the music, maybe it's not African, maybe it is, sounds good either way. Sounds a bit like a Cora to me, that's all. 

Think I need to go watch that now...just finished my first stint on ETS where I couldn't find my way out of the starting base, realised after the third loop that the sat Jag was sending me in circles due to a road closure and then I couldn't find a place to stop and rest.  Had a good moment of flailing around when it started raining and I realised I hadn't the foggiest idea what button controlled the wipers.

Need to have a mess around with the settings and see if I can span it across several monitors, the extra field of view would be most welcome.

Still enjoying it though.  Only thing I really wish was that there was a way to get the camera to auto centre again when you're done looking around.  It's just one control too many to juggle sometimes.  Definitely a game which would hugely benefit from VR/head tracking.

Now to go chill, rest my poor mangled braincells and watch the latest Hubnut video...

14 hours ago, MT606 said:

I've been wondering about getting into this ETS2 malarkey but then I saw the price for good quality control units for drivin sims (steering wheels,gear shifters pedals etc? )and I thought flt sim stuff was pricey! 

ETS2 has been around since about 2013 I think. I bought it directly from the publisher after randomly seeing a YouTube vid about it sometime around then.  It's one of those sleeper hits that grew by word of mouth once it found it ways onto Steam a couple years later. I think they've completely rewritten the game about twice since, and managed to get official licensing for all the trucks ... although there's still some ancient hilarity like the M6 tunnel near Carlisle they've not fixed yet. I'm quite happy to chuck them £10 a year for quality DLC.

It plays alright on a joypad. I do some sim racing, so I've got some decent kit nowadays. Yeah, the costs can be eye watering, might actually be cheaper to buy a car and race prep it for the money some people spend! To be honest for ETS2 a used Logitech PlayStation 3 wheel (Driving Force GT) which is typically £60-80 will do fine, you won't get a massively  better experience in ETS2 from £hundreds of wheel and pedals.

33 minutes ago, Magic said:

ETS2 has been around since about 2013 I think. I bought it directly from the publisher after randomly seeing a YouTube vid about it sometime around then.  It's one of those sleeper hits that grew by word of mouth once it found it ways onto Steam a couple years later. I think they've completely rewritten the game about twice since, and managed to get official licensing for all the trucks ... although there's still some ancient hilarity like the M6 tunnel near Carlisle they've not fixed yet. I'm quite happy to chuck them £10 a year for quality DLC.

It plays alright on a joypad. I do some sim racing, so I've got some decent kit nowadays. Yeah, the costs can be eye watering, might actually be cheaper to buy a car and race prep it for the money some people spend! To be honest for ETS2 a used Logitech PlayStation 3 wheel (Driving Force GT) which is typically £60-80 will do fine, you won't get a massively  better experience in ETS2 from £hundreds of wheel and pedals.

Someone got a stool, with a spinning seat, put the mouse on it and uses it as a steering wheel. 

£20. If that.

58 minutes ago, Magic said:

ETS2 has been around since about 2013 I think. I bought it directly from the publisher after randomly seeing a YouTube vid about it sometime around then.  It's one of those sleeper hits that grew by word of mouth once it found it ways onto Steam a couple years later. I think they've completely rewritten the game about twice since, and managed to get official licensing for all the trucks ... although there's still some ancient hilarity like the M6 tunnel near Carlisle they've not fixed yet. I'm quite happy to chuck them £10 a year for quality DLC....

It's always under development - the Spain & Portugal section was supposed to have been available at the end of last year, but has been delayed until some time in 2021, probably Christmas the rate things are going.

Russia - currently only St. Petersburg plus the sections bordering Finland and Estonia - is being expanded to "Heart of Russia" (expect that maybe next year).

If we're really lucky, the UK section may get an update by 2025 and might even expand to Ireland.

I do hope they improve the traffic signals - currently the direction / filter arrow signals are only present in Finland and Russia. Also, there are no pedestrian signals anywhere on ETS2, which kind of makes major junctions and crossroads sterile, especially in France, Germany and Switzerland where almost every junction has ped signals.

Last I heard, Iberia should be in the next month. I'm still working my way through the Russia one. At one point I had 97% of the map explored, can't keep up now, it's somewhere in the late 60% range. I tend to cut the developers a bit of slack, original game was written by about 4 people in Czech Republic. They've grown a lot since and the recent DLC is excellent, I like that the game has evolved over the last 7+ years and you can see that in the title. They have been buffing up some of the original areas recently, mainly Germany.

Anyway, I'll stop now before I take this massively off topic.

TL;DR - I do enjoy ETS2 for a relaxing trundle.

17 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Still enjoying it though.  Only thing I really wish was that there was a way to get the camera to auto centre again when you're done looking around.  It's just one control too many to juggle sometimes.  Definitely a game which would hugely benefit from VR/head tracking.

Button 1 resets the interior view - you can adjust that view in the settings somewhere - Truck Adjustments I think it is. You can also get any extra lamps you've fitted working on the main beam there. For some reason, the default view in Scanias doesn't actually show any rear view mirror... I also found life was much easier one I messed with the key settings. I have Z and X for indicators, A to accelerate on cruise control, S to slow down and D to resume the cruise. 

18 hours ago, MT606 said:

I enjoyed the vid but maybe get a chest mount for the camera?  you can adjust them a fair amount, headlining gets boring after a few seconds ;-)  I'd be interested in a tuk tuk but they are stupidly over priced, getting into hipster territory..... what are their claimed top speed?

I've tried chest mounts and found the view angle too low. I need to find a better no-window solution though as I do get offered quite a few open cars. 

16 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What was the top whack on that tuk tuk then?  Fourth gear seemed fairly high.

Speedo goes up to 80km/h, but I reckon it'd take a while to get there. The speedo markings turn red at 70...

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

I've tried chest mounts and found the view angle too low. I need to find a better no-window solution though as I do get offered quite a few open cars.

Manfrotto Magic Arm with appropriate clamps. https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/products/lighting/lighting-clamps-and-arms/arms-and-bracket/

I had to re-watch the video later as it was triggering motion sickness in me first time around.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Button 1 resets the interior view - you can adjust that view in the settings somewhere - Truck Adjustments I think it is. You can also get any extra lamps you've fitted working on the main beam there. For some reason, the default view in Scanias doesn't actually show any rear view mirror... I also found life was much easier one I messed with the key settings. I have Z and X for indicators, A to accelerate on cruise control, S to slow down and D to resume the cruise. 

Thanks, using an Xbox 360 game pad here, will have a poke around and see what I can find.  I really need to turn the sensitivity down a bit anyway as trying to follow any slight curve without weaving all over the shop is currently impossible!  Indicators have automatically mapped to the shoulder buttons at least which feels like it makes sense.

Enjoyed the latest video, definitely get the impression that VMax on the Tuk Tuk is very dependent on gradient and wind direction.

Just watched your YT video from today, quite a quandary so I'd offer my tuppence worth.

I personally would get sell both this Oltcit and the Sana to partially fund a better Oltcit or project.

This may be a suggestion you wouldn't choose - a field of dreams style working party of selected & trusted volunteer shiters to strip down and make a few repairs to the Oltcit. And possibly the Sana as well. Provided you have enough space and you are willing to let others know the location of and work at your HQ.

The 3rd option I would suggest is a crowdfund via a YouTube or Patreon tier to fund the better Oltcit or restore the incumbent. I'm not sure how big your sponsorship is but it may help and your current car would provide a goodly amount of spares if you stripped it down.

Or maybe some combination of all 3?

I've not watched the video, but I've seen the comments on Facebook.

Personally I'd have that Sana weighed in. The history of it was already sketchy, and given that there's the possibility it's had an unknown quantity of unknown parts removed, unless you strip the car back to the bare shell and rebuild it like you would an Airfix model, you'll get nowhere with it. The small battles you have with it to get it started, given the unknown unknowns you have, and it not resulting in any sort of success will only result in demotivation for it.

With the Olcit, probably is a better starting point than what the Sana is, but for all the effort it'd take to get it working and cost, well only you know whether it'd make sense on a monetary and content level for your channel.

The choice is yours, but I would say that it's easy for people to say either should be saved as just viewers to the channel. They don't have to contend with the cold days of battling with rust welded nuts, skinned knuckles, tennis elbow, and furious calculator work totting up how much money spare parts are coming to balanced against what money is available for it. That, and the toll anything like this takes on one's mental health. 

Tsk, tsk.  This is Autoshite - the mere suggestion of weighing in a Yugo Sana is heresy.

22 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

This may be a suggestion you wouldn't choose - a field of dreams style working party of selected & trusted volunteer shiters to strip down and make a few repairs to the Oltcit. And possibly the Sana as well. Provided you have enough space and you are willing to let others know the location of and work at your HQ.

This isn't a bad shout - although DW is slightly* less centrally located than the Six Cylinders...

My view for what it is worth. Both of the cars at the back are major projects. Both could be very interesting to work on. However, and to be brutally honest, both are beyond your skills. I say that as you as in the past you have bulked at fixing bodywork..... Rover City, Tercel, Matiz etc. Both cars will need major metalwork fabrication. One will also require major electrical work, the other is unknown.

When undertaking a major renovation you will need some room. That is also in short supply.

Maybe time to move on. The both  can be used as  spares cars.

Where is Miss HB? I understood that she was due to be filming you the camera work is still be done by you.

I see you have another channel now.

Good luck on your decision.

They're both taking up space and don't work. Rational me says that both are likely to return to the road someday, but require a massive amount of work, time and space dedicated to them which might not be possible. Sell them to someone who has an empty workshop and the time and skill required to get them going again.

Irrational me says get rid of the Oltcit and keep the Sana, because it's a Yugo Sana with an engine that turns, the downside is that it has been mucked about with.

Or, get a bigger barn :D

Just my Halfpennysworth, between your oltcit and the other their is bound to be  a roadworthy car. And I can think of few cars that suit you better.  And as for the Sana, please for the love of god don't let that beauty out of your sight, it's an absolute gem. 

The Yugo is less interesting than the OltCit, from many different perspectives.  The OltCit is a genuinely interesting vehicle, whereas the Yugo just looks like a tatty old heap.  Whilst I wouldn't weigh it in, I think it would be best to sell it on to someone who knows them better and can do something with it.  Also, as it turns over and there is some life in it, you'll likely be able to recover your costs on it (as it didn't do that when you got it).

The OltCit is a difficult call to make.  As you don't do body reconstructive surgery and welding, there is a lot of the project that would be out of your hands.  Having looked over it not long before you bought it, it's likely saveable, but will need a lot more hours than you appear to have available to do it.  At the very least it needs the engine out, a rebuild of both it and the engine bay, some other incidental reconstructive surgery and then re-assembling.  Realistically that's 200hrs of work, and that's only once it's in a position to be worked on (which it isn't at the moment).

Were it my fleet, I'd sack the Yugo off to someone else who can do as they wish with it, then spend a few hours doing a proper assessment of the OltCit, with someone who is experienced at repairing galloping rot.  The response might come back that it's repairable, or they might say it's absolutely toast and fit for spares only.

Until you get away from the gridlock you currently appear to have, you'll never know.

Mojo is low on the Sana I must admit. And I'm not sure it'd reward my endeavours like a working Oltcit would. If I can use the damaged Oltcit to save others, that'd be a good outcome, though I will offer it as it stands first if anyone feels the need. The Autoshite world gets first dibs.

IMO (for what it's worth).

I'd get rid of both, they're big projects & if it were the only thing you were doing, just one of those would be enough but those two & a fleet of other cars, in a damp garage, no sorry I just think it's a bad idea. The thought of it just stresses me out !

A roadworthy Oltcit maybe, but if you have to spend 4 figures as you mention in the video, consider what else you could get for that outlay? It's easy to get obsessed & single minded to the exclusion of all other possibilities (ask me how I know...) but might be an idea to take a step back & pause before jumping onto that..

I think you're right. I hate to see either car as a failure on my part, but they are really. I do light tinkering. I don't do full restoration. Well, unless it's something as simple as a 2CV and even then I farmed the hard bits out! If nothing else, all this reminds me just how joyously simple and forgiving a 2CV is to work on. 

I guess that means the Sana is also available if you're mad. I have no V5 for that (I do for the Oltcit) but it's a super-rare car in right-hand drive form (excepting the fact there are at least two on this forum!) that someone who actually understands stuff might be able to fix. It even comes with BRAND NEW spark plugs!

6 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I think you're right. I hate to see either car as a failure on my part, but they are really.

It's not a failure.

A failure would be for you to have done gone in to both projects, done some meaningful work, and then gave up. You tried to get the Sana to start, and I don't think you've done much with the Olcit? So really all you've done is buy two cars, kept them dry for a bit, and moved them on to (hopefully) people who can bring them on.

8 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I think you're right. I hate to see either car as a failure on my part, but they are really. I do light tinkering. I don't do full restoration. Well, unless it's something as simple as a 2CV and even then I farmed the hard bits out! If nothing else, all this reminds me just how joyously simple and forgiving a 2CV is to work on. 

I guess that means the Sana is also available if you're mad. I have no V5 for that (I do for the Oltcit) but it's a super-rare car in right-hand drive form (excepting the fact there are at least two on this forum!) that someone who actually understands stuff might be able to fix. It even comes with BRAND NEW spark plugs!

Its not a failure. You saved them, they still exist. But its too much work for you to take on.

You can pass the baton for these two to someone else.