Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

The smoke is still bloody awful when it's cold, but clears up when warm (hence the MOT pass). I'm not sure the potions achieved a great deal to be honest. Hoping that we can still give it an engine overhaul at some point. 

Got the Matiz working today. Video on that tomorrow, but work was impacted by horrific stormy weather. At one point, the workshop door blew shut, into the Fox and then locked me inside. Not ideal! Thankfully I managed to lever the drop bolt back up so I could escape. Still need to sort out the crap heater and mirror that isn't actually stuck to the windscreen.

Today involved actual sunshine! Coca Cola is now sitting in the cooling system of the Matiz, while there has been some brake progress on the Invacar. Not as much as I hoped, but I very nearly managed to reassemble the rear brakes without throwing anything. Very nearly. Thanks to Zel for his handy guide on this thread.

Eu1gW-tXcAAL4UR?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. Keith keeps turning out the quality on that site.

Primera is back after its service and water pump. I do like it, but I suspect ride and seat comfort will make me wish to get rid of it once I start tackling longer journeys. Both are a bit on the firm side.

When I bought a Corolla, someone had put 40psi in all four tyres. The factory spec was 28/26psi. Made a difference to the ride, the tyre sidewalls must have had much more spring in them.  You've probably checked that but I missed it for nearly a month with that car. 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:35 PM, trigger said:

In fact it was this one! 

15541312550_2156c4120d_k.thumb.jpg.7cce4bdf3e1674baf60269523056dcda.jpg

Same age as my late Grandfather's one. That was blue with a blue interior. Wonderful ride quality; I remember it lowering and rising- by itself! 

It was the first car I remember and (in the days before Rear Seat Belts and Cub Seats) my favourite seat was the rear armrest. I remember crying and finding it difficult to understand why it had to go. It was replaced by a Renault 5...

I would have been between 5 and 7 when that Citroën was in my life. It was the only car I travelled in regularly; the only car I liked; otherwise transport was Bristol VR; Leyland Fleetline; Leyland National- rarely... Leyland Atlantean- 1961... Leyland Leopard, Leyland Olympian Coach and MCW Metrobus Mk1- Rolls Royce Eagle and Gardner Flavour... Not such typical NBC fayre!

Oh... Minicabs! Granada Minicabs with Diesel engines. Which sounded the same as Peugeot 504 Minicabs. And had  interiors that had a most pleasant bouquet* of stale cigarette smoke and BO. 

There is probably a reason why Alison has some appeal; probably about the same size as a GSA and the rear view isn't so different to my eyes... 

DSC_2995.JPG

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
Wine.

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. Keith keeps turning out the quality on that site.

Primera is back after its service and water pump. I do like it, but I suspect ride and seat comfort will make me wish to get rid of it once I start tackling longer journeys. Both are a bit on the firm side.

Something like this would fit the bill 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-xsara-picasso-diesel-2-0-/193912248798?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Citroen, tick

Comfy and spacious, tick

Open top, tick

Blue, tick 

Other side of the country, tick

6 hours ago, Spurious said:

I'd actually not spotted the influence of the GSA on the style of the Audi. The more I look now, the more I see. 

I think that's more of a coincidence than anything else. From memory, the Audi A2 was meant to have great MPG in terms of weight reduction (as it's all aluminium) and slippery shape. 

1 hour ago, jonoshep said:

Something like this would fit the bill 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-xsara-picasso-diesel-2-0-/193912248798?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Citroen, tick

Comfy and spacious, tick

Open top, tick

Blue, tick 

Other side of the country, tick

Aah yes but has it been on fire or is it broken though? Not much good for @dollywobbler if the answer is no 🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, Spurious said:

When I bought a Corolla, someone had put 40psi in all four tyres. The factory spec was 28/26psi. Made a difference to the ride, the tyre sidewalls must have had much more spring in them.  You've probably checked that but I missed it for nearly a month with that car. 

Might have been good for mpg though!

2 hours ago, Tim_E said:

I've just watched the latest video. 

#advertisingworks 

@dollywobblercould I get a couple of 'Power: less is more' stickers from you please? 

Hi Tim. No problem but easiest done through the store. Https://HubNut.fws.store is the direct link. PayPal not essential.

In other news, the Primera is full of crap after a final collection from my previous place of residence. I really am impressed with how much utter crap I seem to have acquired in my life. I mean, there are frigging VHS tapes!

IMG_20210223_165950.thumb.jpg.8e852b1aed8dfbc6ba509372f830c37a.jpg

Planning to have a go at the blower resistor tomorrow, change the wiper blades and, as the weather is nice, maybe even give it a wash. Might get to have a run out in the 2CV too. I'm eyeing up a proper unit, but I suspect it's a bit too big for what I can afford at the moment. Might make more sense to focus on finding somewhere more suitable to live. A garage at home would be so nice. I do miss just being able to step out for a bit of tinkering.

Blower resistor? FIXED 

Invacar handbrake? FIXED

So much success that I've had to have a lie down today. The Invacar handbrake was a pain in the arse. Pin needs removing to allow the cable end to come free, but the cable end on the replacement cable was not a good fit at all. I had to file down the excess cable the other side of the ball, and then had to file down the ball itself to get it to fit. Handbrake now works perfectly. Next I need to sort out the leaky rocker cover and then I can do a test drive, but the handlebars feel MUCH tighter, so I'm feeling positive.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Blower resistor? FIXED 

Invacar handbrake? FIXED

So much success that I've had to have a lie down today. The Invacar handbrake was a pain in the arse. Pin needs removing to allow the cable end to come free, but the cable end on the replacement cable was not a good fit at all. I had to file down the excess cable the other side of the ball, and then had to file down the ball itself to get it to fit. Handbrake now works perfectly. Next I need to sort out the leaky rocker cover and then I can do a test drive, but the handlebars feel MUCH tighter, so I'm feeling positive.

Yay happy to see you finally figured out how to sort the hand brake cable out :) (and its good to know whats what exactly for when/if I need to tackle REV's hand brake!)

BTW on the side window front, I would recommend going with Zels method of door/window channel repair for fixing the new window channel to the door, rather then the double sided tape idea you showed in a recent previous video

as the (originally self tapping) screws that secure the window channel to the door, also help hold the inner and out door skins together, and I fear without those screws or bolts, you might end up putting too much stress on the door and damaging, since suddenly it will have lost a lot of support and would be allowed to flex and bend too much when you open and close the door and I dont want you to damage/ruin the door, as I dont know where id currently find another!

I haven't done any tinkering this weekend, other than fit a non-return valve to the rear washer on the Primera. Job jobbed.

However, I did manage to drive five fleet members in one day, mostly because I kept leaving stuff either at home or at the unit. The final drive home saw me dig out the GSA, which was as wonderful as ever.

EvP4q9uXcAAiaR1?format=jpg&name=small

I forgot that I bought it a year ago, while I was in Australia, and it was freshly MOTd ahead of my return - on the 5th March. Arse. I'd better get that booked in then! There's one soft spot in the floor causing concern, but hopefully no other failure points.

Drove four of the fleet today. Matiz to the unit, GSA at the unit, Invacar out for a test run, Primera home. Contains spoilers, so look away now if you don't want to know the results.

The day didn't start that well...

EveG_qmWgAcmbMn?format=jpg&name=small

The same leaky return pipe on the height corrector that blighted the driveway last year. The rubber bit just fell apart really, so I nicked a section from a BX return pipe. Job jobbed.

Then I could focus on getting the Invacar out again. Lubed up the offside brake - nowhere near as bad as the nearside had been. Changed the rocker cover gasket, fitted a replacement indicator stalk - I think the one I was given by 6-cyl and Mrs 6-cyl at the Field of Dreams last year? Randomly found it in the chaos of my life. Anyway, it works.

Then, the important business of a test drive, which enabled me to clock up my 4000th mile in TWC.

EvfUGVVXcAcbvqX?format=jpg&name=small

EvgF-BTXEAIWlea?format=jpg&name=small

TWC felt great today. Engine is running lovely, even if she's still a little sluggish. Tomorrow's video will contain skidmarks (!), wheelspin and even a hint of a drift! How I adore this ridiculous excuse for a motor vehicle.

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Drove four of the fleet today. Matiz to the unit, GSA at the unit, Invacar out for a test run, Primera home. Contains spoilers, so look away now if you don't want to know the results.

The day didn't start that well...

EveG_qmWgAcmbMn?format=jpg&name=small

The same leaky return pipe on the height corrector that blighted the driveway last year. The rubber bit just fell apart really, so I nicked a section from a BX return pipe. Job jobbed.

Then I could focus on getting the Invacar out again. Lubed up the offside brake - nowhere near as bad as the nearside had been. Changed the rocker cover gasket, fitted a replacement indicator stalk - I think the one I was given by 6-cyl and Mrs 6-cyl at the Field of Dreams last year? Randomly found it in the chaos of my life. Anyway, it works.

Then, the important business of a test drive, which enabled me to clock up my 4000th mile in TWC.

EvfUGVVXcAcbvqX?format=jpg&name=small

EvgF-BTXEAIWlea?format=jpg&name=small

TWC felt great today. Engine is running lovely, even if she's still a little sluggish. Tomorrow's video will contain skidmarks (!), wheelspin and even a hint of a drift! How I adore this ridiculous excuse for a motor vehicle.

Awesome to hear that TWC is out and about once more and doing well, looking forward to the video very much :) 

as for the indicator stalk, its not from The parts stash as you left that one in the JCB after we handed it to you! so who knows where the one you fitted came from!