Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

5 minutes ago, OM646 said:

Legend says that only works in OMGHGF Kettle Series tho, hence the name 

By the power invested in me by the consortium of defending the mighty K series, don't you dare go near any lovely K series with that gunk!

5 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

By the power invested in me by the consortium of defending the mighty K series, don't you dare go near any lovely K series with that gunk!

True. Of all the small 4 cylinders I've ever ridden in, the K-series 1.4 is by far the smoothest. A gem of an engine.

MLS headgasket all the way!

I've been a member here for 18 months or so, took me a while to sign up having browsed for a while. I think I came via hubnut and flickr mentions of the forum. Determined to hopefully make some positive communication to the community one day...

The challenge of finding a decent garage who are willing is bad enough here in London with loads of places nearby, let alone out in the countryside. It took me some time to find a place that was 'right' and understood old cars, Doing Jobs Properly and had the patience/space to work on them. (I understand why so many don't - the economics of such jobs probably doesn't add up in the way that doing a service and MoT on a 10 year old focus do).

The other difficulty is getting nasty comments about work done by a garage. There was some mud-slinging after the Rover 75's ABS light came on minutes after it had passed an MOT, but that's life sometimes, especially with 20+ year old cars. I think it's safe to say that anyone slagging off a garage for minor stuff has never run a garage. There isn't time to treat every car as if time isn't a worry. Jobs need sorting. 

I can (mostly) deal with shitty comments aimed at me, but it's not nice when they're aimed at friends/mechanics who are doing their best. 

I commented on your twitter pic about the Primera water pump job - i had a p10 eGT moons back which siezed the water pump and snapped the PAS belt, doing that job on the drive was a right chew on, engine was up down, in out, backwards forwards, knuckles were skinned and lots of new obscene words uttered and that was with two of us. My mate who's a time served old school mechanic described it as a Shitc**t of a job. 

Wait till you have to change a knock sensor on the 2.0 de engine, i reckon its the first thing fitted to the bare block before the rest of the car is built round it and its driven into place with a 1" ugga dugga gun of magnificent vein popping strength. I broke 2 x 10mm spanners trying to undo the ungrateful bastard thing!

Miss the eGT though, by god it took some stick and never ever FTP in my ownership

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

The other difficulty is getting nasty comments about work done by a garage. There was some mud-slinging after the Rover 75's ABS light came on minutes after it had passed an MOT, but that's life sometimes, especially with 20+ year old cars. I think it's safe to say that anyone slagging off a garage for minor stuff has never run a garage. There isn't time to treat every car as if time isn't a worry. Jobs need sorting. 

I can (mostly) deal with shitty comments aimed at me, but it's not nice when they're aimed at friends/mechanics who are doing their best. 

I work in main dealer and jobs go wrong on a daily basis , customers can be horrific , some understand but most call us cow boys shit , all sorts . We will work on any age car , but all new mechanics coming through don't like old stuff . Give them a car with dizzy cap etc and no OBD port and there screwed. There simply not tought it at college . It must be so daunghting for people who don't do there own repairs to A find a garage and B find one they trust. 

I do not like the way YT verify you are an adult. I am not willing to give my CC details to them, neither am I about to send them a copy of nay form of ID.

So I cheated to watch the last video.  Glad I did the laughter was very infectious.

Going back to the family friendly vid. I suppose they send out loads of rubbish to give the website a free plug.

Those tee shirts will certain make good spillage mops, a paper towel replacement, when cleaning hands or polishing rags.

I'll have to start at Only fans instead.

Not much to report this week. Started a service on the Matiz, HT leads fell apart and I seem to have lost the cam cover gasket. 

Started rear brake overhaul on the Invacar, snapped a horseshoe clip clean in half and the union is seized into the wheel cylinder.

Yay.

3 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I'll have to start at Only fans instead.

That would take your channel in a very *VERY* different direction.

Quick tip for the siezed union on the invacar.  Unbolt the wheel cylinder to see if it will unscrew from the siezed tube bolt (IE the tube bolt does not need to turn relative to the brake pipe.  If that comes undone, you then have a far better chance of un-siezing the tube bolt from the brake pipe, as you have access to both ends and it's no longer under compression while trying to release.  I've saved many ends that way.

I also now slap a dollup of copper grease on the last 3/4" of the brake pipe before tightening up the tube bolt.  The line is copper/cupronickel, so it's not adding any more dis-similar metals, and they *always* come undone again.

2 hours ago, R1152 said:

I thought you'd replaced both the rear brake cylinders when you recommissioned TWC?

I did, but remarkably, that was three years ago now, and a lot of Welsh climate...

I think I'm going to abort removing the wheel cylinder. I'll just clean up the backing plate, which isn't as crusty as I feared, and reassemble.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:45 PM, Remspoor said:

I do not like the way YT verify you are an adult. I am not willing to give my CC details to them, neither am I about to send them a copy of nay form of ID.

I don't recall yt doing this, are you sure it's not a phishing scam?

It was a while ago since I did it so I may have forgotten, but it's good to be on the look out for phishing, I get it all the time on my phone.

38 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

It was a while ago since I did it so I may have forgotten, but it's good to be on the look out for phishing, I get it all the time on my phone.

It might be phishing, always be suspicious of that. 

But YouTube are age gating a lot more aggressively now and where you don't have a credit card tied to your Google account, you may be asked for ID or a credit card (remember a lot of Android users have or currently do have lots of info tied to their Google account so this may be seamless for you). 

Now, Google are trying to blame the EU and various governments over being "forced" to do this to comply with media legislation. However, the problem is deeper than this. Remember there was fuss about children being shown very creepy (and some downright strange videos) on a recommendation/next videos? Like a Peppa Pig video that was anything but Peppa Pig. 

Here's a good read on the matter 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/youtube-for-kids-videos-problems-algorithm-recommend

Basically the search algorithm, which hasd become an almost Pandora's box was doing * strange * things 

The ever great Tom Scott has a decent video on the algorithm. 

https://youtu.be/BSpAWkQLlgM

Basically, this new age gating is to move this inappropriate content which is now being flagged by AI (there's thousands of videos a second being uploaded to YT so it's too big to be manually moderated so mistakes will creep through) which originally was a problem of Google's own creation and was creating negative media coverage so they'd to come up with a "fix" for it. 

16 hours ago, Tim_E said:

It is not. Please  look at this post, where there is a screen shot.

Also please look at the video. Under the video Mr Hubnut has written........

There are some items that we got sent that we decided are best not shown to a younger audience...

and YouTube has added

Notice  Age-restricted video (requested by uploader)

Charade is back, with a £388 bill (welding, ball joints, fitting of a handbrake cable) but no extra ventilation holes now. 

It's such a good car. Makes a nice noise, cruises well, is massively spacious. Glad to have it back. Primera is now in for water pump, thermostat and a service while I try to get my tinkering Mojo back. Which I need to, because more service bits for the Matiz have arrived and the Invacar's brakes are still in bits.