Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

On 1/22/2021 at 8:13 AM, dollywobbler said:

The tinkering videos keep funds ticking in, so reviews aren't really essential. I'm very reluctant to travel at the moment, so am happy to wait. After shooting so many reviews in NZ and Aus, I'm actually enjoying the break.

Saw you on proper telly this evening, with TWC on the motorbike show. Do you have a bike licence?

16 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Saw you on proper telly this evening, with TWC on the motorbike show. Do you have a bike licence?

Nope! That was fun to film.

New car should be here in the next half an hour or so. 

Today, I tried replacing the front handbrake cable on the Invacar, but seem to be stuck on how to release the ball-end of the cable from the handbrake lever. I've now actually RTFM a bit and it makes a little more sense, so we'll see how I get on next time. 

3 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Just terminally dull.  I bet that is up for sale in just a few weeks.

Looks are a bit dull, but that car has an amazing chassis and what seems to be an SR20DE, so must be a pretty good drive 

My mate had a few of these over the years. He always banged on about how fantastic they were. It was always a good game on a night out to try avoid the drunken fanatical Primera-is-the-best conversations yourself while simultaneously trying to start them while he was talking to someone else!

Sadly his last one, which was a really really nice one, was sold to some knob who didn’t bother to tax or insure it so it got rather swiftly impounded and crushed apparently. 

Well bought.

If you don't keep it long time as reliable transportation while playing with the fleet then I'll be surprised....

But having said that, a reliable daily would somewhat spoil the fun on the you tube channel 😂

I like the Primera, solid 1990's chod, interesting because they were everywhere & now aren't.

I must say personally i'd bin off the Oltcit & the Yugo as I don't really see what they contribute to your channel (that's not meant to sound arsey it's just my opinion). Then either just have less cars & more space in the unit or get something else like a '70's or '80's BL  or somesuch unloved but useable motor. You seem to enjoy driving & tinkering & both the Oltcit & Yugo seem a bit beyond that.

18 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

I must say personally i'd bin off the Oltcit & the Yugo as I don't really see what they contribute to your channel (that's not meant to sound arsey it's just my opinion). Then either just have less cars & more space in the unit or get something else like a '70's or '80's BL  or somesuch unloved but useable motor. You seem to enjoy driving & tinkering & both the Oltcit & Yugo seem a bit beyond that.

Though, the sense of achievement and the public spectacle of getting these running and tidy would be immense as would be the public interest in the media and at future retro shows, assuming there are any in the future. Especially if it's all done without (much) professional input.

Twc and Foxanne were both non-running turds at first.

47 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

I like the Primera, solid 1990's chod, interesting because they were everywhere & now aren't.

I must say personally i'd bin off the Oltcit & the Yugo as I don't really see what they contribute to your channel (that's not meant to sound arsey it's just my opinion). Then either just have less cars & more space in the unit or get something else like a '70's or '80's BL  or somesuch unloved but useable motor. You seem to enjoy driving & tinkering & both the Oltcit & Yugo seem a bit beyond that.

I disagree! The Yugo and Oltcit are so rare that even if they’re long term projects they're interesting and therefore will generate views and interest! 

I'm starting to think that my favourite kind of styling is the sort that is widely considered 'uninteresting' but, like the Primera here my favourite cars that get me excited are the ones that few people like! Like the mk1 Mondeo, designed not to be controversial. Primera, early Laguna, Mitsubishi Gallant, Saab 9-⁵, Volvo cars in general.

I like the Kia Stinger too. That's exciting, perhaps.

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

Though, the sense of achievement and the public spectacle of getting these running and tidy would be immense as would be the public interest in the media and at future retro shows, assuming there are any in the future. Especially if it's all done without (much) professional input.

Twc and Foxanne were both non-running turds at first.

Hubnut does tinkering well, although at times frustrating - 2cv manifold, when the knackered one got put back on - but the Olcit and Yugo don't require tinkering. They require full on resto.

Yes the sense of achievement would be huge if the projects got to completion, I disagree about public interest. Hard core hubnut fans would enjoy it. But beyond that core audience, who will tune in no matter what anyway, is there a massive following for f*cked yugos and olcits?

I accept Hubnut does not follow the crowd, because if he did he would have kept the R75 on fleet, given the number of rover lickers that exist.

The question is, whether Ian thinks the hassle / stress / financial outlay on the Yugo and Olcit is worth it professionally or personally.