Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

40 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Step 1, remove the rear wiper.

It was the mention of the aux belt tensioner that reminded me of it on the Clio. Still the most awkward part of that job. I do need to invest in a proper tensioner bar tool. 

There are also these tools that I've read good things about but never tried (cheaper brands are available!)

SBT2KT_v3.jpg

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Belt-Tensioning-Tools/Stretch-Fit-Belt-Kit-(Blue-Point)/SBT2KT

8 hours ago, SiC said:

It was the mention of the aux belt tensioner that reminded me of it on the Clio. Still the most awkward part of that job. I do need to invest in a proper tensioner bar tool. 

There are also these tools that I've read good things about but never tried (cheaper brands are available!)

SBT2KT_v3.jpg

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Belt-Tensioning-Tools/Stretch-Fit-Belt-Kit-(Blue-Point)/SBT2KT

That job on mine went straight to Rentech in Edinburgh!

Had a proper mardy on today, for reasons I don't fully understand but may be related to the unit flooding - BEFORE this horrible storm had really hit. I may have to try and put some effort into making it waterproof. Or find another unit (which I've been looking for for months - no joy.)

But I refitted the Rover's acoustic cover and air filter intake, decided I couldn't be arsed with the wheel arch liner (given I'm not really driving anywhere and it was pissing it down), had a bit of a play with the Invacar and then headed home to edit videos and play Euro Truck Simulator. Hope I feel better tomorrow.

On 19/01/2021 at 17:29, dollywobbler said:

Euro Truck Simulator

I'm glad I'm not the only person who plays that - excellent 'game'!  I do need to find a way to hack the settings the change the traffic from being boring moderns to something a little more exciting.

Hope that the mardy lifted ok.

Thanks. I wrote yesterday off almost completely, drove a lot of trucks, a few trains and today got things back together again.

CONTAINS SPOILERS - if you're a video fan and want to wait for the vids, stop reading.

EsQd295XYAIYNmn?format=jpg&name=large

Refitted the exhaust, got the 2CV out of the way and used TWC for a post run.

EsQzMGwWMAITjNM?format=jpg&name=small

Refitting the exhaust went fairly well now I've sussed the technique - in short, leave the manifold bolts loose and get the silencer on first!

I had to swap out the throttle return spring as it's slacker than a daytime telly addict. Performance was pretty grim though, even more than normal, though that turned out to be because the handbrake is seizing on again. The pivot under the floor again. That may also require a spring replacement I think. I went out for another run and she was a bit better, though still failed to better 55mph. Engine seems smoother with the new head and oil leaks largely gone. Which is good. I had to swap the oil cooler to achieve that.

Also, the brakes have WAY too much play. I'm thinking the handbrake may have been sticking since she arrived at the new unit - that soaking in a storm didn't do her much good! I'll try adjusting up the rears again as it's possible I adjusted them up while the handbrake was slightly on. 

Still, it was nice to have even just a short drive in the ol' girl. 

Even though it's a slightly different model, I have noticed JayEmm (and others too) bulk up on reviews and then drip feed them during the year. My friends cars that he reviewed and his mates cars as well was a good 4-5 months from filming to publishing. But then the majority of JayEmms channel is about car reviews and much less in the way of tinkering. 

Reckon you may diversify a bit more on what you work on in the future? Thinking old petrol engined equipment, mechanical stuff and the like. I get the impression on here and in your videos that you're starting to get a bit bored/fed up with working on cars, especially at the moment.

Of course there is already mustie1/ProjectFarm/etc but you have your own style and that's part of your USP. Diversifying could also increase your reach to different types of subscriber, accelerate the sub count and hopefully views. Likewise would increase the amount of content while varying it, which seems a key thing on YouTube.

I like the mailbag episodes mixed in with the tinkering.

The latter are mainly whom I follow on YouTube. One guy mucks around with 00s VAG stuff, another is rebuilding a cabover Kenworth truck. Another just builds whatever comes into his head, Garage 54.

Car reviews just don't engage me at all any more, unless it's something really unusual. 

I have found that unboxing old diecast and tinkering on cars is working for me at the moment, in terms of diversity.

And the mailbag videos don't really do it for me, unless you are opening a furry tail which was amusing and made me chuckle. Enjoy the tinkering and the reviews most.

Couple of questions though. I think the first video I watched was the burgundy Daimler collected from Scotland if memory serves. We had a collection video, a quick walk round video, then it disappeared. Whatever happened to it?

Also the caravan appeared in a couple, then disappeared without trace. Assume that never got done?

13 hours ago, Mudster said:

And the mailbag videos don't really do it for me, unless you are opening a furry tail which was amusing and made me chuckle. Enjoy the tinkering and the reviews most.

Couple of questions though. I think the first video I watched was the burgundy Daimler collected from Scotland if memory serves. We had a collection video, a quick walk round video, then it disappeared. Whatever happened to it?

Also the caravan appeared in a couple, then disappeared without trace. Assume that never got done?

The Daimler mostly didn't work. Developed some sort of running fault so I sold it. At the time, I wasn't very good at doing videos about getting rid. Which also explains why the caravan just vanished. I hated towing it, and hated reversing it into our narrow driveway entrance even more. It was quite nice to have places though!

The Daimler was broken for spares. The rear diff now lives in an AC Cobra kit car replica.

The caravan was sold to some classic caravan buffs and has been restored. I'm very happy about that.

Video production at the moment has been hard hit by home educating. Miss HubNut is now full time HubNut, but not actually able to spend any time at the unit during the week due to the kids being off school. Home educating is horrible, and I only did a week and a half of it!

Home education is breaking most parents at the moment I think.

Getting my son motivated is the biggest problem. I also have a full time job and working from home and my wife is out working as she is a pharmacy technician.

I don't think my son's class will be back until after summer the way things are going.

Pretty sure I'm one, if not two videos behind at this point...but hopefully the advice is still relevant!

With both KPL and TPA absolutely 100% of the trouble I had with the handbrake mechanism was due to the operating rod binding where it passed through the chassis.  It's a snug fit through there.  When everything is moving freely the return spring provides ample tension to make things return properly, the bit of slack in the cable shouldn't be an issue.

I had to resort to a blowtorch and 4lb lump hammer initially to get it moving on TPA it was so bound up.  I spent a lot of time faffing with the cantilever arrangement thinking it was seized up before realising it was actually just the rod that pulls on the cables at the rear.

If you do have issues with the actual pull handle mechanism and that end of the cable, I do have a spare one I think.  I reckon (adjustment at the wheels aside) if you get that moving freely you'll find the handbrake co-operation vastly improved.

Something I really need to adjust before TPA is next out...the thought of potentially being left with only that to stop you is downright terrifying - one reason TPA is probably about to gain dual circuit brakes!  Especially given how much driving around here is on high speed roads punctuated with roundabouts and zero run off space.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:49 PM, Split_Pin said:

one guy mucks around with 00s VAG stuff

Pray tell, who's that? I'm always looking for new VAG content 

Meanwhile (And apologies for the slight derailment above) re the HubNut videos- I too prefer the tinkering content rather than reviews. 

On 1/26/2021 at 2:05 AM, Zelandeth said:

Pretty sure I'm one, if not two videos behind at this point...but hopefully the advice is still relevant!

With both KPL and TPA absolutely 100% of the trouble I had with the handbrake mechanism was due to the operating rod binding where it passed through the chassis.  It's a snug fit through there.  When everything is moving freely the return spring provides ample tension to make things return properly, the bit of slack in the cable shouldn't be an issue.

I had to resort to a blowtorch and 4lb lump hammer initially to get it moving on TPA it was so bound up.  I spent a lot of time faffing with the cantilever arrangement thinking it was seized up before realising it was actually just the rod that pulls on the cables at the rear.

If you do have issues with the actual pull handle mechanism and that end of the cable, I do have a spare one I think.  I reckon (adjustment at the wheels aside) if you get that moving freely you'll find the handbrake co-operation vastly improved.

Something I really need to adjust before TPA is next out...the thought of potentially being left with only that to stop you is downright terrifying - one reason TPA is probably about to gain dual circuit brakes!  Especially given how much driving around here is on high speed roads punctuated with roundabouts and zero run off space.

Thanks. I disconnected the cable and it did seem to return properly. With the cable connected, no dice. Barry Lee was selling a cable on Ebay, so I nabbed it. Handy! You are right though. The rod does have a very close 'tolerance' on the chassis, not helped on mine by forklift damage from that first field. No real rush to sort it out as I really need to get the window fitted before doing much more driving. Chilly...

In other news, the Rover was still flickering the alternator light, but this was just dirty contacts on the replacement alternator - I spotted the verdigris, but failed to do anything about it before fitting the alternator. Idiot...

Rover is sold, but as the buyer is in Scotland, it hasn't yet made the journey back north. Yet another vehicle is likely on the way, is very Autoshite and is due to land early Feb...

19 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

In other news, the Rover was still flickering the alternator light, but this was just dirty contacts on the replacement alternator - I spotted the verdigris, but failed to do anything about it before fitting the alternator. Idiot...

Rover is sold, but as the buyer is in Scotland, it hasn't yet made the journey back north. Yet another vehicle is likely on the way, is very Autoshite and is due to land early Feb...

I'm surprised you've lasted as long with it to be honest. I'd have thrown in the towel and bought a Corolla that'll never go wrong but that's not very hubnut however. 

That alternator looks like a pig of a job. Lot to be said of a big engine bay and an longitudinal engine. 

On 1/27/2021 at 8:56 PM, dollywobbler said:

Yet another vehicle is likely on the way, is very Autoshite and is due to land early Feb...

Well you've said you need a decent hactcback/estate with enough space to carry all the family paraphernalia in comfort. Its a Wartburg isn't it? 😉 😀

Just watching your most recent video - here's the less messy engine oil drain.

IMG_20210203_002647.thumb.jpg.4392919700ed4276a1bb74dabfb8126c.jpg

Though to be fair dropping and cleaning out the strainer probably isn't the worst idea anyway.

Other thing I'd recommend for the garage is a whiteboard.  I need to buy another one after Chris nicked mine for home working!

I'm currently suffering withdrawal symptoms having not driven TPA in a couple of weeks... hopefully get her put back together in the next day or two.

Watching that I don't think there's a huge difference in outright performance, but I'd say that TPA seems more eager in the way she delivers it, especially off the mark.  I've just fitted a new belt to TPA so be curious to see if that changes anything.

I'll try to get an updated video shortly... though I need to figure out a camera solution as my window mount is still in a certain Lancia Trevi...

On 1/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, Mudster said:

Well you've said you need a decent hactcback/estate with enough space to carry all the family paraphernalia in comfort. Its a Wartburg isn't it? 😉 😀

Or maybe a saloon with an engine and a half... In the boot. Available from all good Chester based Shitters.

Cheers for that Zel. I've gone through the rear brakes again today, just to try and make sure they're not dragging. The handbrake mechanism each side was sticky, and the wheel cylinders seized in place when they should move I think. Did all that and adjusted the shoes up again and the handlebars feel much more positive, so a result anyway. I still need to fit the new front cable, which I now have (Barry seems to have more and has listed another on Ebay) and sort out the rocker cover gasket (new one ordered) and then hopefully I can see if there is a difference out on the road. While I've got her up on stands, I may get the transmission cover off and actually measure that gap between the pulleys, as well as give everything a good clean. May also get some fresh video footage of the pulleys in action, because that's always fun.

In other news, the Matiz refused to start again this morning, but was fine by the afternoon. Things were very damp this morning, so hopefully a new dizzy cap and rotor arm will help there. I have a full service to do.

The Charade is performing well, but also occasionally producing some hilarious blue clouds. MOT due in March so will get a test booked and see if it stands any chance. I can think of at least three things that may prevent a pass, but we like the car and it cost under £200 to buy, while decent ones fetch a fair bit more. It may well be worth spending on it.

The Rover is provisionally sold, so is parked up for now. A replacement is due to reach Wales middle of next week. More news once it is here.

40 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

and actually measure that gap between the pulleys,

Woo! been looking forward to that since you got the new pulleys

remember remember if nothing else!

so that the distance between centres of the shafts carrying No. 1 and 2 Pulleys is 10 · 250 inches.

49 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers for that Zel. I've gone through the rear brakes again today, just to try and make sure they're not dragging. The handbrake mechanism each side was sticky, and the wheel cylinders seized in place when they should move I think. Did all that and adjusted the shoes up again and the handlebars feel much more positive, so a result anyway. I still need to fit the new front cable, which I now have (Barry seems to have more and has listed another on Ebay) and sort out the rocker cover gasket (new one ordered) and then hopefully I can see if there is a difference out on the road. While I've got her up on stands, I may get the transmission cover off and actually measure that gap between the pulleys, as well as give everything a good clean. May also get some fresh video footage of the pulleys in action, because that's always fun.

In other news, the Matiz refused to start again this morning, but was fine by the afternoon. Things were very damp this morning, so hopefully a new dizzy cap and rotor arm will help there. I have a full service to do.

The Charade is performing well, but also occasionally producing some hilarious blue clouds. MOT due in March so will get a test booked and see if it stands any chance. I can think of at least three things that may prevent a pass, but we like the car and it cost under £200 to buy, while decent ones fetch a fair bit more. It may well be worth spending on it.

The Rover is provisionally sold, so is parked up for now. A replacement is due to reach Wales middle of next week. More news once it is here.

Are we allowed to guess what your new chod is dolly?  I guess a Citroën BX St Tropez