Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Current mood.

IMG_20210110_132214.thumb.jpg.1141a0be0a599921117a95f4cad24e76.jpg

Serpentine belts are an utter arse. Sadly I got the belt off before undoing the pulley bolts on the PAS pump. You need to remove the pulley to get at the bolts to remove the pump. Wonderful! Now can't get the belt back on due to spanner incompatibility. Sod it. I'll do something else today.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Current mood.

IMG_20210110_132214.thumb.jpg.1141a0be0a599921117a95f4cad24e76.jpg

Serpentine belts are an utter arse. Sadly I got the belt off before undoing the pulley bolts on the PAS pump. You need to remove the pulley to get at the bolts to remove the pump. Wonderful! Now can't get the belt back on due to spanner incompatibility. Sod it. I'll do something else today.

I may have missed something here, but I thought the problem was alternator. How did the PAS pump come into this?

The air con pump is on a separate belt. I cut mine off and threw it away because my air con didn't.

Regarding the Alternator wiring there are 2 pin and 3 pin. Make sure your replacement Alt matches the old one.

2 hours ago, Mally said:

I may have missed something here, but I thought the problem was alternator. How did the PAS pump come into this?

The air con pump is on a separate belt. I cut mine off and threw it away because my air con didn't.

Regarding the Alternator wiring there are 2 pin and 3 pin. Make sure your replacement Alt matches the old one.

The PAS pump is above the Alt, and has to be removed to be able to get the Alt out.  There's no space otherwise.  You either remove the PAS pump, or remove the rest of the car to gain access.

I have no idea why PAS pumps have such very odd mountings on them.. I've never yet found one that is "sensibly" mounted.  They all seem to have ridiculously complex arrangements of spacers, threads, threaded sections etc. and are always bolted in with socket-head bolts, meaning you need 27 adapters to get to them.

Is there a video coming out with both of you swearing at the car?  Please say so!

Maybe I'll try that... Gloves have saved me from bruised fingers a few times today!

In other news, went back to the unit to fettle and wash the 2CV. Then I decided to take the Matiz home as it hasn't been started in a while. It wouldn't fire. Battery was clearly a little low (after just over a week) so I guess I still have a drain somewhere - a drain that killed a previous battery while I drove to Croatia back in 2019. 2CV jump started it successfully but it still took a short while to fire up, and was a bit spluttery at first. Odd. The Matiz, battery aside, is usually turn-key reliable. Took it for a bit of a longer run home and it seems ok now.

21 hours ago, Talbot said:

I have no idea why PAS pumps have such very odd mountings on them.. I've never yet found one that is "sensibly" mounted.  They all seem to have ridiculously complex arrangements of spacers, threads, threaded sections etc. and are always bolted in with socket-head bolts, meaning you need 27 adapters to get to them.

Toyota cracked it in the 1990's. 

The Corolla PAS pump exists on the front of the engine, and can be slackened off with relative ease. 

The alternator on a Corolla E11 though? PITA. Frigging thing is about as buried as the Rover 75 is, right at the back of the engine, above the steering rack and below the inlet manifold. Same goes for the f**king water pump too. 

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Interesting that he managed to find a 24mm spanner that fit - I've not yet been able to find that holy grail.  

My A/C compressor is at the front - odd that yours was different.

I'm not well up on A/C, I may be talking crap. The belt ran towards the back of the engine, there is a black pipe running towards the front under the sump, which I unbolted and moved towards  the n/side. It's a while ago so I'm a little hazy but I exactly followed the instructions on my last link.

24mm combination or 15/16" AF,  grind the ring down a bit.  Need a spanner with not much crank,  if I find it I'll stick a photo on.

17 minutes ago, Mally said:

I'm not well up on A/C, I may be talking crap. The belt ran towards the back of the engine, there is a black pipe running towards the front under the sump, which I unbolted and moved towards  the n/side. It's a while ago so I'm a little hazy but I exactly followed the instructions on my last link.

24mm combination or 15/16" AF,  grind the ring down a bit. Need a spanner with not much crank,  if I find it I'll stick a photo on.

Need an aviation spanner then. They don't have any crank on them.

After being parked up for a week, the Matiz failed to crank into life the other day. It got jumped by the 2CV and eventually caught, before merrily driving back home. Next time I tried it, spinny spinny no firey. Hmmm. Had somewhere to be so jumped into the Charade instead. 

I've not had chance to investigate due to the 'joy' of home learning, but today, I had to nip out and thought I'd just try the Matiz. It fired straight up and ran fine.

I've ordered a new dizzy cap and rotor arm as I suspect they've been in place for a very long time, as well as a service kit as that hasn't happened since at least 2019.

I've not been able to get anywhere near the 75 since taking the alternator out. Maybe that's a good thing...

On 1/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, Split_Pin said:

Good shout on finding being the right spanner, lots of Diesel 75 owners will be a lot happier knowing that one actually exists!

The one I bought really isn't long enough, so you pull on it has hard as you absolutely can, all the while aware that the F8cker might just leap off and smack you in the eyeball while you punch the subframe. In conclusion, don't do what I did as I did this job the wrong way. Not that you can avoid disturbing the serpentine belt. 

Or just call a garage. A decent mechanic who has done this job before can probably get it done in just over an hour. Rather than three days...

21 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Or just call a garage. A decent mechanic who has done this job before can probably get it done in just over an hour. Rather than three days...

Whenever I successfully complete a task that could have been done by a professional in a fraction of the time, I always tell myself "Well, it took ages... but I did that. Me. An idiot. I did that thing. Sure it took a while and nearly drove me mad, but doesn't the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself make it all worthwhile?"

I mean the answer is inevitably "no, it doesn't", but I still try asking myself anyway.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:09 PM, Soundwave said:

Whenever I successfully complete a task that could have been done by a professional in a fraction of the time, I always tell myself "Well, it took ages... but I did that. Me. An idiot. I did that thing. Sure it took a while and nearly drove me mad, but doesn't the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself make it all worthwhile?"

I mean the answer is inevitably "no, it doesn't", but I still try asking myself anyway.

I disagree.  I think the satisfaction combined with the money staying in wallet combine to make it worthwhile.  But then I'm tighter than a camel's ringpiece in a sandstorm so anything that involves saving money is going to make me feel good.

If you have more than 2 cars and want all of them to be drivable most of the time then there's no shame in farming some jobs out to a garage, rather than the car sitting for months while you get round to it. The only exception was when my Corsa crapped out one of its small ends and no garage wanted the job of replacing the engine. I did that myself but I have very little spare time so it took many months to get done and  even then I got help from friends towards the end.

If the alternator dies on my 75 I will be contracting that one out!

we should all rush out and buy series 3 landrovers...easy access to everthing....and nothing much electrical to break under the bonnet..

PAS - whats that??

Air con - open the vents (or appreciate the breeze  from the flapping door tops)

ICE - WHAT????? CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

servicing is a breeze as everything under the bonnet is liberally lubricated from the factory... 

:D