Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

2 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I wish I had a Dollywobbler-type character living near me that I could do some spannering for. I enjoy the 'fixing' bit but the ownership bit, (sorting storage/workshop space, responsibility for general upkeep, paperwork etc) not so much!!!!

I'm entirely the opposite, which is why I let you 'enjoy' changing the timing belts on that Rover 45 before nabbing it off you. Not sure selling that car was my best move to be honest. If you could fit 75 clocks to a 45 and the 2.5 litre V6, it'd be close to perfect.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

In WW2 men were sent to North Africa to fix tanks and you can't manage Buckingham!

Yeah I know what you mean!!!! I sound a bit lame admittedly. But I have done long distance relationships in the past with very mixed results!!!! If i ever get my horsebox how I want it, with your permission obvs I will come and camp out at your field and help you make some progress with your fleet. That sounds like a sort of perfect set-up to me, and one I often daydream about. The other day I was looking at those 'tow-a-van' box trailers and imagining myself kitting one out with loads of shelves etc so i could transport all my tools round with me behind the lorry.

What I need is someone local who can come round to mine excitedly showing off his latest old heap in a 'Mike Brewer' stylee (but without the ridiculous 'cockney geezah' schtick obvs) where I assume the role of the other guy off wheeler dealers who, whilst superficially rolling his eyes, sorts out the problems properly and sends him on his way a happy man. Don't know how realistic this is, as i don't want to end up with another old heap on the drive that needs a new friggin floor in it or whatever with some idiot ringing me up 3 times a day asking if its done yet, but there must me some sort of happy medium!!!!

8 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Yeah I know what you mean!!!! I sound a bit lame admittedly. But I have done long distance relationships in the past with very mixed results!!!! If i ever get my horsebox how I want it, with your permission obvs I will come and camp out at your field and help you make some progress with your fleet. That sounds like a sort of perfect set-up to me, and one I often daydream about. The other day I was looking at those 'tow-a-van' box trailers and imagining myself kitting one out with loads of shelves etc so i could transport all my tools round with me behind the lorry.

What I need is someone local who can come round to mine excitedly showing off his latest old heap in a 'Mike Brewer' stylee (but without the ridiculous 'cockney geezah' schtick obvs) where I assume the role of the other guy off wheeler dealers who, whilst superficially rolling his eyes, sorts out the problems properly and sends him on his way a happy man. Don't know how realistic this is, as i don't want to end up with another old heap on the drive that needs a new friggin floor in it or whatever with some idiot ringing me up 3 times a day asking if its done yet, but there must me some sort of happy medium!!!!

You are always welcome to camp with us, tent, trailer tent, caravan, car, expensive RV or a horsebox!

Once the world returns to some sort of normal then if you spot anything we have that you that you think needs your attention, be it at your place or ours just say.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:03 AM, Split_Pin said:

@rml2345 might be able to advise as he replaced the PAS pump on one of his 75s which necessitated removing the belt.

Personally, if funds allow,  I'd farm this one out to a garage, I pick and choose what jobs I'm willing to tackle these days, this isn't one of them. I had the alternator belt replaced at a garage on my old 172 back in March because even the bumper had to come off to do it.

You can, if careful get the right sized spanner in from the top of the engine to release the aux belt tension but it's tricky and many skint knuckles may ensue before you can get it. 

Congrats on the 70k subs for Hubnut by the way, there's so many car channels these days it's a competitive field to be in. The EV channels seem to be multipliing at a ferocious rate, particularly.

Anyway, if you wanted to become rich from YouTube you'd set up a children's entertainment channel that can get multi million views for the most banal content!

Thanks and very true! The kids are absolutely addicted to some absolute horseshit on YouTube. As long as you shout a lot, they'll watch anything. HEY GUYS! 

Not much to report car-wise as I actually managed to take a few days off. Well, sort of. I didn't drive anywhere for a good few days, which is most unlike me.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

The kids are absolutely addicted to some absolute horseshit on YouTube. As long as you shout a lot, they'll watch anything. HEY GUYS! 

I have one of those (the gymnast from TFOD if you remember?) . Roblox, Dennis and Thinknoodles. I wonder if that is the same horseshit  you suffer or an alternative type?

1 hour ago, Retr0naut said:

I have one of those (the gymnast from TFOD if you remember?) . Roblox, Dennis and Thinknoodles. I wonder if that is the same horseshit  you suffer or an alternative type?

Roblox is a check, Minecraft and Fortnite also, and watching videos of people playing games and shouting a lot...

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Roblox is a check, Minecraft and Fortnite also, and watching videos of people playing games and shouting a lot...

watching videos of people playings games cant be ALL bad for them!

you just might need to pre-select the content a little :mrgreen:

(yes I know I posted this a year ago or so in the youtube thread LOL)

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

This a thousand times this... we add rocket league to that list too.

The phrase Hey guys sets my teeth on edge... but it’s the shouting... oh the shouting... not an ounce of decorum among them. My stock phrase now is “they need to calm down or they’ll give themselves an aneurism.”

Anyway sorry for adding to the thread drift... but well done for taking a few well deserved days off. Work/life balance and all that. 

Worked on the Rover today. Needed someone with small hands...

EqprEN3XMAE_8eS?format=jpg&name=large

Even so, still an utter F*cker of a job. We were trying to replace the brush/regulator pack, but access is horrific. Replacing the alternator apparently even more horrific. I'm worried the alternator is just absolutely shafted anyway, but had to give up before finding out as we couldn't get the replacement pack (slightly different) fitted. UGH. This thing makes the GSA seem pleasant to work on.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Worked on the Rover today. Needed someone with small hands...

EqprEN3XMAE_8eS?format=jpg&name=large

Even so, still an utter F*cker of a job. We were trying to replace the brush/regulator pack, but access is horrific. Replacing the alternator apparently even more horrific. I'm worried the alternator is just absolutely shafted anyway, but had to give up before finding out as we couldn't get the replacement pack (slightly different) fitted. UGH. This thing makes the GSA seem pleasant to work on.

I did give a link to a video on just how fucked up access is for the alternator, earlier in this thread.

It has been pointed out by the HubNutters that  the new regulator pack doesn't match the wiring on the car. Wonderful. Decided to just buy a used alternator instead, so we'll have to do the job properly after all. I think I'll get it into the unit so I can dismantle the front end for better access/and or use jacks etc. 

3 hours ago, HMC said:

Frustrating. I presume this is legacy of BMW siting ancillaries with a longitudinal installation in mind and then rover making it “fit”.

I don't think it is.

I remember whenever my Dad had his Rover 820 worked on, the mechanics would all say that access was poor and everything was always tightly packed together.

With the Rover 200/25 I have, this is what the engine bay looks like:

DSCF2403-1024x700.thumb.jpg.35ea9ee81d53dd4c9a43f3394e368b50.jpg

For the little bit of work I've done, which is nothing, access is again poor. And this would've been a design before BMW was a thorn in the arse of Rover.

So I think it's just Rover being Rover and making it as compact as possible. Or not bothering to reduce the size of engine bay components.

I asked my local garage about doing the aircon belt on my 75, in case there was an easy way to do it that I hadn't spotted, and the mechanic's reaction was "they're a pain in the arse".  He says they usually end up undoing the offside engine mount and jacking the engine up a bit for better access.