Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Yes, on its way.

IMG_3799.thumb.JPG.f19bd3dfcd0d9c201e9407fb657b7621.JPG

EoDoEtWXUAEgqWR?format=jpg&name=large

Which one do you reckon was the phone shot vs actual camera?

In other news, had one of those days where you just seem to keep dropping shit in your eyes from the underside of a vehicle, with the occasional tool for good measure. 

EoETZIcXUAEfIu8?format=jpg&name=large

Prep work ahead of the new fuel tank going in, and a pair of new rear dampers. Hope to get it all finished tomorrow.

34 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, on its way.

In other news, had one of those days where you just seem to keep dropping shit in your eyes from the underside of a vehicle, with the occasional tool for good measure. 

Prep work ahead of the new fuel tank going in, and a pair of new rear dampers. Hope to get it all finished tomorrow.

I spend my life in black and white film, so I'm going to ponder that the second F photo was the phone, and the top one is the proper camera.

13 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, on its way.

Which one do you reckon was the phone shot Vs actual camera?

The bottom shot looks like a wider angle, so I'm going to phone, assuming the phone as a really good camera and software suite. It's saturated with warm hues as if it's had lots of background processing to make an idle snap look full. The top pic is of a more traditional photo proportion, and contains less saturated and warm hues. 

But that's a complete guess, I've really no idea and would not be surprised if I'm completely wrong. Both are nice, both look very good.

4 hours ago, Tim_E said:

The bottom shot looks like a wider angle, so I'm going to phone, assuming the phone as a really good camera and software suite. It's saturated with warm hues as if it's had lots of background processing to make an idle snap look full. The top pic is of a more traditional photo proportion, and contains less saturated and warm hues. 

But that's a complete guess, I've really no idea and would not be surprised if I'm completely wrong. Both are nice, both look very good.

I used to dabble a lot in photography with amateur DSLRs. Top looks like a standard 28mm (35mm equiv) view, bottom looks like a wider angle, perhaps an 18mm. 

I'm guessing the bottom is the phone. You're probably bang on, it's a lot warmer. 

And I'm a sucker for a warm shot. Quite like winter colours and a bit of warm sunlight. 

19 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I used to dabble a lot in photography with amateur DSLRs. Top looks like a standard 28mm (35mm equiv) view, bottom looks like a wider angle, perhaps an 18mm. 

I'm guessing the bottom is the phone. You're probably bang on, it's a lot warmer. 

And I'm a sucker for a warm shot. Quite like winter colours and a bit of warm sunlight. 

To be fair, I went with the top one being a camera shot as it's better defined, as the bottom image looks slightly blurry in some aspects and a bit murky. 

19 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, on its way.

love it!!! not the shit in eyes very familiar with that....i need to drop the tank on my robin. 

one of my fs

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-21 at 15.32.59.jpeg

I'm curious to know what the ride is like in the Charade. I've read that it's surprisingly soft & compliant, but I also remember your endless criticism of the harshness of your old Sirion. I find it curious that Daihatsu would make two very similar sized cars, with identical engines and yet completely different handling/ride. The original Boon it appears, has a slightly longer wheelbase 2440 than the 2390 Mira - Bizarre.

The ride isn't bad. Better than the Sirion, but I understand the Sirion 2 has better manners as well. It's far superior to the Matiz, which gets so bouncy it feels dangerous at time (it was like that when new). The Matiz also feels like it's done more miles than the Charade, but the complete opposite is true.

I've done sod all this week on the fleet. Struggling with motivation and lacking parts. Mr Bickle has very kindly sent me an ignition barrel for the Sana which will make life easier.

The Charade is definitely improving in smoke terms. It can be provoked very dramatically when cold (holding it at 3000rpm) but doing that when warm sees very little if any smoke. Repeated revving will generate smoke, but that's not generally how I drive. I'll currently driving it every day but haven't had chance for a long run yet.

No tinkering today, but there was something momentous nonetheless...

EoUfT74W8AAtKPc?format=jpg&name=large

Yes, I'm now a driving instructor! Not quite as terrifying as I expected and she did well for her first drive on the road in eight years. The Charade is pretty handy as a vehicle to learn to drive in - very forgiving with excellent mirrors.

That was on the way back from a run to Cardigan, which is the first chance to really put some miles on it rather than just local pottering. It goes well, no smoke to be seen once warm.

EoUr2MVW8AYzoCC?format=jpg&name=large

I've been dicing with death in South Wales today. A run out in the Charade to collect Rover bits.

EoZbvLUXIAAeULX?format=jpg&name=small

Fine on the way out, absolutely stunning in fact, but two emergency manoeuvre moments on the way back.

First one, dual carriage way. Slip road to the left, with two cars. I'm overtaking two cars, the first one STOPS DEAD to allow the cars to enter. I'm now right in the way of the swerving the vehicles behind want to do and was forced to drive into the central reservation space - thankfully there was quite a bit of space. Phew.

Second one, I'm second in a queue of cars behind a tractor. The view ahead gradually opens up. Dickhead Mazda driver behind me launches an overtake bid, but I decided to follow him as the car in front seemed wary of an overtake. It wasn't. He went for it just as I drew alongside him. Missed me by millimetres. Didn't see me at all. Even afterwards. To add to the excitement, a car coming the other way pulls out of a layby and almost drives straight into the overtaking vehicle behind me. I'll admit that this one was my fault - overtaking a driver that thinks it's their turn to overtake is always risky. Assume makes...

Exhausted after 160 miles today. First long trip in ages, and by far the most exciting! 

Had a lovely day at the unit on Monday, replacing the Fox's fuel tank with the kind assistance of Miss HubNut. It was great fun, lovely to have some company and went fairly well.

Today, I finished off a few things, but the Fox wouldn't start. Cranked it a fair bit, barely a cough. Burnt my finger on a battery terminal. Ah. That new clamp I fitted isn't attached very well. I now have a hex burnt into my finger. 

Tried replacing spark plugs, but only got one done. One and Two need you to remove the distributor (helpful!) and Four is so far back it's easier to remove the engine. I'm pretty sure I fitted new plugs to the engine before fitting it last year...

Three is fairly accessible by Fox standards, so finally got the plug out and it was black and horrible. Car had only run briefly on full choke last time, so could be that, but I suspect it's running rich anyway - possibly because I did find the choke wasn't fully releasing. It's fully releasing now, because the cable snapped. I only got it running on Monday by jamming the choke wide open.

One plug didn't make a difference. It still didn't want to start. Then the starter motor packed up again. UGH. So I stupidly decided to try and bump start it, as it was on ramps, facing downhill. This just left me with a Fox out of the garage, down a slope and still not running. Genius.

No worries. I'll just grab a ratchet strap and the 2CV and tow it back up the slope. The 2CV wouldn't start. 

No worries, I'll use the Daihatsu to tow it back up the slope. Will that lashing point be strong enough? RIPPING NOISE. No... Thankfully it  didn't rip completely off, or the Fox would have gone for a drive all on its own across the farm.

No worries. I'll use the Matiz to tow it back up the slope.  This did actually work.  Shoved the Fox back into the unit, went home in a strop. Applied Aloe Vera to the burn. Very refreshing.

Did actually pop back later to fit the sill trim to the Rover. £11.99 for five clips on Ebay, and you don't even get enough of them to refit the sill! So it has some clips. And doesn't fit very well at the back because the trim is bent. It'll do.

EouyVZQXYAU0MGg?format=jpg&name=small

This is my first post as a long time lurker, but I thought I should post in solidarity with Hubnut after watching his attempt at bump starting Roxanne. It was a proper laugh out loud moment, mainly 'cos I have been there myself. I've included a pic of simarily inappropriate vehicle to vehicle contact when I had to push my P4 back into it's lockup when a combination of sticky brakes and a failed ignition coil left it stranded outside. Thank you for making me feel less inadequate as a chod fondler!

20180812_124316.jpg

On 12/4/2020 at 6:36 PM, dollywobbler said:

I've been dicing with death in South Wales today. A run out in the Charade to collect Rover bits.

EoZbvLUXIAAeULX?format=jpg&name=small

Fine on the way out, absolutely stunning in fact, but two emergency manoeuvre moments on the way back.

First one, dual carriage way. Slip road to the left, with two cars. I'm overtaking two cars, the first one STOPS DEAD to allow the cars to enter. I'm now right in the way of the swerving the vehicles behind want to do and was forced to drive into the central reservation space - thankfully there was quite a bit of space. Phew.

Second one, I'm second in a queue of cars behind a tractor. The view ahead gradually opens up. Dickhead Mazda driver behind me launches an overtake bid, but I decided to follow him as the car in front seemed wary of an overtake. It wasn't. He went for it just as I drew alongside him. Missed me by millimetres. Didn't see me at all. Even afterwards. To add to the excitement, a car coming the other way pulls out of a layby and almost drives straight into the overtaking vehicle behind me. I'll admit that this one was my fault - overtaking a driver that thinks it's their turn to overtake is always risky. Assume makes...

Exhausted after 160 miles today. First long trip in ages, and by far the most exciting! 

Me and Wifey have had early Christmas presents in the shape of cheap but well regarded dash cams. For all the not-your-fault incidents they can be handy.

We've got the Apeman C370 and a hard wire kit each.

56 minutes ago, Surface Rust said:

This is my first post as a long time lurker, but I thought I should post in solidarity with Hubnut after watching his attempt at bump starting Roxanne. It was a proper laugh out loud moment, mainly 'cos I have been there myself. I've included a pic of simarily inappropriate vehicle to vehicle contact when I had to push my P4 back into it's lockup when a combination of sticky brakes and a failed ignition coil left it stranded outside. Thank you for making me feel less inadequate as a chod fondler!

20180812_124316.jpg

Looks like they are kissing!

Nice cars though, I'd love to know more and see more pictures 👍

A P4 and an Acadiane is a bloody awesome fleet.

2CV and Fox are running again after palaver last week. Not sure why the Fox is working again but the 2CV seems to have coil issues. Taking her for a run later in the week.

Fox will be out of MOT on Wednesday and I think I'm just going to let it lapse for the festive period. There are things I'd like to sort that I'm not going to manage before the test is up, and no real reason to rush.

Daihatsu and rainbow.

EpMf6ZiW4AEoqX7?format=jpg&name=small

Rover and rainbow.

EpR-hGDXIAErqQN?format=jpg&name=small

Fox and rainbow.

EpR-Z0UXUAAJ8PG?format=jpg&name=small

Yes, it's been quite wet lately. Yesterday began with the Rover, then I took the Fox for a pootle (see channel if you wish). Very enjoyable to actually have a run out somewhere! Aberporth in this case. 

Flushed with success, I tried to dig the 2CV out.

EpTRpgcXcAAA7zy?format=jpg&name=small

Cranked and cranked, eventually with Fox back-up power, but it managed to blow a hole in the exhaust manifold. Quite annoying, as I was planning to drive it to Coventry on Friday.

Instead of bodging the pipe, which I should have done, I removed the manifold so I could fit another.

EpWtsNhW4AA0UWP?format=jpg&name=small

Sadly, one exhaust manifold gasket is absolutely ruined, so I won't be getting this back together until spares arrive. Will they arrive tomorrow? I have my doubts, so I guess I'll be heading to the Midlands in the Rover instead.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Daihatsu and rainbow.

EpMf6ZiW4AEoqX7?format=jpg&name=small

Rover and rainbow.

EpR-hGDXIAErqQN?format=jpg&name=small

Fox and rainbow.

EpR-Z0UXUAAJ8PG?format=jpg&name=small

Yes, it's been quite wet lately. Yesterday began with the Rover, then I took the Fox for a pootle (see channel if you wish). Very enjoyable to actually have a run out somewhere! Aberporth in this case. 

Flushed with success, I tried to dig the 2CV out.

EpTRpgcXcAAA7zy?format=jpg&name=small

Cranked and cranked, eventually with Fox back-up power, but it managed to blow a hole in the exhaust manifold. Quite annoying, as I was planning to drive it to Coventry on Friday.

Instead of bodging the pipe, which I should have done, I removed the manifold so I could fit another.

EpWtsNhW4AA0UWP?format=jpg&name=small

Sadly, one exhaust manifold gasket is absolutely ruined, so I won't be getting this back together until spares arrive. Will they arrive tomorrow? I have my doubts, so I guess I'll be heading to the Midlands in the Rover instead.

The handling of FoxANN certainly seems exciting at very moderate speeds!