Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Wiper.

In other news, the GSA's short burst on the road came to an end. Put some miles on her during a rare dry spell.

IMG_20201126_142828.thumb.jpg.6a946267bebf5c588a4b2ac8d5f0857b.jpg

But as you can see, she really needed a wash.

IMG_20201126_150356.thumb.jpg.c2b36f9454117a300ab43257d3353228.jpg

That's better. The suspension on this car never fails to amaze me. Less good is the windscreen, which is very badly scratched. Winter sunshine be like...

IMG_20201126_150432.thumb.jpg.7ca321b5f4815d953e2f0204717fa1cc.jpg

Not ideal. I think I'll need to replace that.

But, storage beckoned and indeed, it poured with rain last night, so I'm glad she's away again.

IMG_20201126_154825.thumb.jpg.931d9b8f1e0e12511bc7ddf179ad5e32.jpg

Today, freed off the handbrake a bit on the Charade, with gratuitous use of penetrating oil on the mechanism inside the drum, but I reckon a new cable is needed (on order, hasn't turned up yet). Still, a success brew was had.

En02fcbXYAAiD_Z?format=jpg&name=small

Others pointed out the offset number plate, necessary to avoid blocking airflow to the nearside-mounted radiator. Smoke report - quite bad this morning, but cleared quickly.

Then it was back home to grab the 2CV.

En11Ue0WMAUlpCp?format=jpg&name=small

Grease and then she was put away. Not before I'd had to replace the coil - coughing and spluttering as you pull onto a busy road with a bad reputation is not ideal. I seem to kill a lot of coils - that's one of the modern jobbies that are meant to be superior, but somehow aren't. She's now back on a used £2 one I bought at a rally last year.

This shot also highlights my parking problem. I've got two cars at home - I did have three, but feared I was taking the piss given I have one allocated space. 2CV has just managed to squeeze into the unit, but there's no room for the Matiz. I fear I am doomed never to have enough covered space. Or maybe I just need a massive clearout...

In other news, the Sana isn't quite there yet.

18 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, I think Tipo may be the way to go as long as the wires are the same colour. That alarm may be a problem too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Manual-Fiat-Tipo-1988-to-1991/383547890198?hash=item594d3c5a16:g:Y4kAAOSwfjtdxxae

Delivered for 6 quid, maybe worth a look see.

I can see you having fun with the continuity function on a multimeter, figuring out old wiring is no fun.

Good evening. Watching the yugo progress with a close eye . The first place if be looking is the after market alarm , disconnect it , and cut it out . Also on the positive battery cable there should be a wire going to the fuse box . Ignore the big one that just links the battery , starter , and alternator . Start at battery with multi meter and work back . On lancias and fiats there is a small black box with red wires going into it , in there there is a strip fuse , make sure it's not blown . 

@dollywobbler  I left you a comment on YouTube, Re: Sana not starting. I think it’s more than likely the aftermarket alarm causing you grief. I looked it up and it’s a Selmar Double Pendulum alarm, most likely fitted when the Sana was new. It’s called a Double Pendulum because if the car is rocked, the alarm will go off due to having a tilt sensor which detects movement.

68B46B99-40E2-4742-9580-69C91D89DD61.thumb.jpeg.b27d622d85afe4bda8fd1b75dde1bef9.jpeg

On the box, it states it has an immobiliser function and this works by way of a keyed switch function, maybe it’s worth looking around for a non standard key barrel?

17BBD658-2C94-4BAC-BC68-0E17DA47D055.jpeg.28cf457b1c15fdfc6edbec723d170101.jpeg

This is the inside of the unit, I think the brass gubbins makes contact with the sides should the car be shook from side to side, hence the ‘pendulum’ in the name.

I'm sure that many, many, many moons ago I fitted on of those alarms to a car and I'm 100% with @lanciamattabout removing it. BUT, don't just chop it out, follow where the wires go as I've a feeling that you had to chop the feed to the coil and connect it through the alarm and a switch that you could fit where you wanted inside the car (but not on obvious view). There's not something daft like a little red button down the side of the drivers seat that you press in prior to starting is there?.

3 hours ago, greengartside said:

This is the inside of the unit, I think the brass gubbins makes contact with the sides should the car be shook from side to side, hence the ‘pendulum’ in the name.

IIRC you can adjust the gap using that screw so if effectively controls the level of sensitivity of the alarm. 

I chop out alarms on even more modern stuff! My Boxster had a tracker in it that was connected to the fuel pump - something asking for trouble. Likewise the Renault UK fitted (at the UK entry port) alarm on my Clio 172 caused door locking issues and stopped the boot light from going off.

All got the chop and the loom repaired where it'd been grafted in. 

The other "old trick" to try and stop your car being nicked was to split the low voltage wire to the coil and wire it through one of the normal series of switches you find on the dash. It took me bloody ages of pissing around trying to work out why it had suddenly stopped working until I realised that the HRW switch on the MGB I'd bought was used for that very purpose (it didn't have a Heated Rear Window!) and I'd turned it off by accident.

@dollywobblerThe diagram is for a Tipo.  I can send you a zip file of the all the Tipo diagrams as there are variations in the ignition system, not sure which would be closest to yours.

Deffo lose the immobiliser and trace where it has been patched in, it won't be complicated.

You don't seem to be getting power from the battery to the ignition switch.   Only four wires to choose from and it will be one of the two big ones, red on the diagram.  Get that sorted first, then check for a live pin at the coil multiplug.  a test lamp will do if you don't have a meter. 

11 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

The other "old trick" to try and stop your car being nicked was to split the low voltage wire to the coil and wire it through one of the normal series of switches you find on the dash. It took me bloody ages of pissing around trying to work out why it had suddenly stopped working until I realised that the HRW switch on the MGB I'd bought was used for that very purpose

Many years ago someone I worked with had an XR3i which had exactly the same "immobiliser" fitted, so it had two heated rear window switches.  It foiled several attempts at it being stolen.  One time he got back to the car to find the battery completely flat where the would be thieves had cranked it on the starter until the battery died.  He put his key in, turned on the not-a-heated-rear-window and bump-started it down the road.

The best immobilisers are home-brew ones.  Shame it makes no difference to your insurance, as they make a big difference to the thievability of a car.

4 hours ago, Talbot said:

The best immobilisers are home-brew ones.  Shame it makes no difference to your insurance, as they make a big difference to the thievability of a car.

100% on the money.  I’ve fitted them to my Scirocco and Mercedes 190.  I’ll be flabbergasted if someone can get them running, especially the Merc!  I’m especially proud of that one!

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Daihatsu friends. These leafer Fourtraks are getting rare now!

En6bdi5XMAEmkqo?format=jpg&name=small

That passenger side wiper blade is ridiculous.  Are you sure it's the correct one for the car?

5 hours ago, Talbot said:

Was it Captain Slow who turned up at Shitefest one year in a Concerto which nobody could work out how to start?

Added a similar one to my Niva.  Additional relay buried under the dash (wiring it was a sodding nightmare as 99.9% of the loom consisted of plain pink wire...can anyone say Friday afternoon car?), meaning the fuel pump wouldn't run unless the sidelights were turned on in addition to the ignition.