Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

• dollywobbler changed the title to Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread - Roverdose

They did, and I did ponder going that route. I'm glad I went red though.

EnMQ08NW4AAdoG0?format=jpg&name=small

I'd say that's not bad at all! Just need to find the trim clips now...

Front tyres are soapy because they're brand new Black Lion winter tyres. I was getting fed up with the onset of understeer on pretty much any damp bend, so hopefully these will be better than the well-worn Chinese rubbish that came off. E rated for wet weather grip, but we'll see...

In Daihatsu news, it smoked the place out again this morning. Went for the first drive on the new oil and it did settle down after fully getting up to temperature. I now have some new potions to try, but will see how it cold starts tomorrow...

Can't remember if I've mentioned the Fox, but the fuel tank is out. It was running before I dropped it. One corner has rusted into a hole, so I've ordered a brand new tank. Over £200 delivered with the sender unit, so not cheap, but I can't see the sense in fitting a second-hand steel fuel tank.

At the end of the day day, £200 doesn't go all that far these days.  Given that you're getting a known new tank and sender rather than a motley selection of second hand ones which may or may not be good, just being able to fit it and forget about that side of things I reckon it's pretty good value actually.  Especially if the tank is a pain to remove you're not going to want to mess with it again if you can avoid it.

Daihatsu news. Did an oil change cure it? No. Clouds of smoke again this morning. I dropped in some oil flush, let that run for ten minutes, then realised I hadn't got an oil filter...

Happily it arrived this afternoon, so left the flush sitting in it for a few hours, then dropped it and replaced with 5w40, with an oil additive designed to soften seals. All this stuff was from Liqui Moly. After letting the engine warm up, I held the revs at about 3000rpm and it smoked like a damp bonfire. Again, it cleared with a 'steady' drive, but could still be provoked by holding the revs up for several seconds - albeit just a whiff of blue rather than a choking cloud of biohazard. Key test will be the next cold start...

A few people have mentioned the PCV, but I just can't see where it is on this engine, nor how I check the state of it. 

Diesel down the bores is likely to do a few things:

Free the rings off a bit (certainly can't make them any more stuck)

Smoke like a laboratory beagle on start-up

Dilute the oil

It may work, It may not.  Can't hurt to try.  That said, I'd probably use something a litlle more solvent-y to un-gum rings.  Either that, or a steam-clean of the combustion chambers might get as far down as the rings (maybe the top compression one anyway)

Never heard of stuck rings on a modern before. It’s more likely to be worn valve guides/seals or possibly rings as it’s high mileage and possibly hasn’t been looked after very well. Why don’t you do a compression test? An old dodge is do it normally then put a teaspoon of oil down each plug hole before doing it again, if the results are better, it points to worn bores/rings.

I’d expect to see nice even compressions of around 140psi on an engine like that.

1 hour ago, Angrydicky said:

Never heard of stuck rings on a modern before. It’s more likely to be worn valve guides/seals or possibly rings as it’s high mileage and possibly hasn’t been looked after very well. Why don’t you do a compression test? An old dodge is do it normally then put a teaspoon of oil down each plug hole before doing it again, if the results are better, it points to worn bores/rings.

I’d expect to see nice even compressions of around 140psi on an engine like that.

It's very common on these Daihatsu engines - the oil control rings, so you won't necessarily get an indication from a compression test.

• dollywobbler changed the title to Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

Daihatsu news. After an oil flush, a refill with 5w40 and a couple of different additives (Liqui Moly's Oil Additive and Motor Saver - this one softens rubber apparently), today's cold start was not the damp bonfire affair of earlier cold starts. Still a tinge of blue, but better. Quickly cleared out on the road. The rear brake binding was down to the handbrake a cable. Tugging the cable instantly freed the brake, so it's fine as long as you don't use the handbrake... Have ordered a cable. Once it arrives, I'll put the Charade into daily duty.

2CV was fine today. New plugs seem to have sorted her out. Should get some goodies for the Fox today.

5W oil is still pretty thin...given it's up on the miles a bit would it be worth trying  something like 10W40?  Pretty sure the 107 ran 10W30 and I believe the engine in that was related to this one through some business deals between Daihatsu and Toyota in the early 00s.

Imagine you've done your research, so my random gibbering is just that though.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Pretty sure the 107 ran 10W30 and I believe the engine in that was related to this one through some business deals between Daihatsu and Toyota in the early 00s.

The 107 runs 5w30. Although Toyota switched to 0w20 for the Aygo.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, Toyota tried to say my 1998 Corolla ran 0w20 as well when I went to get a service kit for it.

Yeah, 5w30 is the recommendation - Daihatsu helpfully has a little panel on the underside of the bonnet to remind you. Why don't more companies do that? So 5w40 is already a little thicker. I'm not sure going to 10w40 would be ideal. That can make them even worse oddly. My Sirion was far less smoky on 5w30 than the 10w40 the previous owner had been sloshing in.

Had some embarrassment when ordering the handbrake cable. Got asked if it had ABS and realised I had no idea. Apparently it was standardised for all new cars from 2004, so it should have it. I somehow didn't know that.

8 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Had some embarrassment when ordering the handbrake cable. Got asked if it had ABS and realised I had no idea. Apparently it was standardised for all new cars from 2004, so it should have it. I somehow didn't know that.

But then again, you'd have no reason to know it. Not knowing anything of modern motoring is kinda your shtick, and why we watch. :D

Decided to fit the new fuel tank to the Fox today, then realised my in-line filters hadn't arrived, so that was enough of an excuse to play with other cars instead.

EnrEKgIWMAMS3IU?format=jpg&name=small

Amazes me how even just fitting a battery is an utter arse on this car. The bolt goes through the inner wing and is entirely inaccessible on the underside when the car is sitting down... Genius!

Also filmed Matiz vs Charade - should be a good one as they're surprisingly different. 

50 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Decided to fit the new fuel tank to the Fox today, then realised my in-line filters hadn't arrived, so that was enough of an excuse to play with other cars instead.

Amazes me how even just fitting a battery is an utter arse on this car. The bolt goes through the inner wing and is entirely inaccessible on the underside when the car is sitting down... Genius!

Also filmed Matiz vs Charade - should be a good one as they're surprisingly different. 

Have a look at changing the battery on a Peugeot 3008. I had it 5 years, I'm sure the battery was well overdue changing, but because I could not fathom how to do it I left it in there. It lives right under the dashboard, which is handy.

But then we have the Peugeot 5008. Access to the air filter is through the dashboard apparently. 

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

That's no right. Should be a big tall rod with a threaded end and a hex end so you can screw it into the bracket from the top. Shouldn't need to go under the car 

Screenshot_20201125-162829.thumb.png.e38eca2244e0c139ca5d2eabe25aff30.png

It's obviously had a bolt and nut put in instead.

5 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I am the same and do not have to go under the car to get the battery clamp off.

Remember this?

img_9728.thumb.jpg.2d6e3041793db0b679fb43a4f54e54dd.jpg

I bought it on this forum, I think from Steve79 about eight years ago. It replaced the shonky MK1 BX estate that was C44 LGK rather amusingly.

The other day, I saw the Bluebird on a recovery truck. I was thrilled, but feared the worst. Happily, the new owner has proudly posted some pictures of his new project on a Facebook group. Very happy!

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Remember this?

img_9728.thumb.jpg.2d6e3041793db0b679fb43a4f54e54dd.jpg

I bought it on this forum, I think from Steve79 about eight years ago. It replaced the shonky MK1 BX estate that was C44 LGK rather amusingly.

The other day, I saw the Bluebird on a recovery truck. I was thrilled, but feared the worst. Happily, the new owner has proudly posted some pictures of his new project on a Facebook group. Very happy!

You certainly did Ian. I remember you coming to collect it in a rather fetching Citroen GS. That Bluebird was a great car and i still miss the little warning bell tinkling to remind you that the lights were on.

I know you were excited about its pantograph wipers 😂

Could you post a link of the facebook post please?