Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Sort of. 

In other news, the Rover made it to The Midlands, but is still sluggish. Which means it's still quicker than the rest of my fleet. I wonder if the exhaust has got clogged. Apparently that can happen.

Sluggishness on these is usually the MAF. Been a few years since I ran one, but I remember putting a new one on made a world of difference.

Cheers folks. Not sure it's worth bothering with that one.

This was yesterday morning.

EkTtBFlWsAAfyt7?format=jpg&name=large

And this was some hours later.

EkTtBzQXcAA1cMW?format=jpg&name=large

I've somehow clocked up over 1500 miles in the Rover already! It's feeling properly brisk today as well. Maybe it re-learned? It was so brisk on the shopping run this afternoon that the kids started fretting (at the legal speed limit). 

In other news, the GSA had two new tyres and tracking today and it's made a real difference. The front wheels weren't far off parallel but turned out to be quite some way from parallel with the rear wheels, so it was effectively crabbing down the road (not that you'd notice). No wonder it ripped the front tyres to pieces. 

EkXu_YVWsAEd9ZL?format=jpg&name=small

The Michelins are hideously expensive - over £100 per corner - but hopefully worth it.

This pair are sharing daily duty at the moment, but given that the weather is turning, it might be time to replace the GSA with the 2CV. Odd as that sounds, the 2CV is now in a rather better state to repel rust, and rather easier/cheaper to sort out if it does gain a foothold again...

14 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

This pair are sharing daily duty at the moment, but given that the weather is turning, it might be time to replace the GSA with the 2CV. Odd as that sounds, the 2CV is now in a rather better state to repel rust, and rather easier/cheaper to sort out if it does gain a foothold again...

I would have assumed the 2cv to be susceptible to high wind, or maybe that's just prejudice that's been drilled into me since birth.

16 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I've somehow clocked up over 1500 miles in the Rover already! It's feeling properly brisk today as well. Maybe it re-learned? It was so brisk on the shopping run this afternoon that the kids started fretting (at the legal speed limit). 

The one thing that puts me off buying old high milage diesels is that they suffer from tar and gunk, even before you include the badly designed dpf.

My driving habits tend to finish off half-way gunked-up engines as I go from job to job mostly on B roads, even though the engine gets warm it never gets and stays hot. I've killed a Renault powered Mitsubishi Carisma that way, and I'm not the only one in my area to suffer from gunked-up diesel engines.

9 hours ago, DaveDorson said:

If you're passing through Stamford over the weekend at all, I can probably get my mate to scan the rover and get a bit of live data from the MAF.  That might indicate whether that's the issue 

Cheers but I doubt I'll be over that way for quite a while. Staying in Wales this weekend.

1 minute ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers but I doubt I'll be over that way for quite a while. Staying in Wales this weekend.

Yeah I don't blame you if I'm honest.

If you can find someone locally who's got a modern scanner that can show live stuff, it might help out a bit though.   You should know from the drive if the MAF falls flat on its backside.

I know with them it sometimes doesn't trigger a warning light.

It could be a relearn after doing the EGR/intake clearout, or apparently it could be that the in-tank pump has failed, and the under-bonnet one is on its last legs. Certainly, the under-bonnet one is quite gurgly...

In other news, had a bit of a shuffle yesterday.

EkczSxaX0AAHpni?format=jpg&name=small

Matiz fired up readily with a jump - I've ordered a new battery and I think it's time to get it back on the road again. My pre-MOT checks revealed a high level brake light bulb that had failed, but hopefully that'll be it. I adjusted the brakes on the Invacar, as the nearside rear (I suppose I could just say nearside) brake was binding. A test drive revealed an improvement there. Lots of brake dust in the drums, so a job worth doing just to clear everything out and grease up the adjusters. I still haven't refitted the window...

Fox still has Covid-MOT until December, but now appears to be leaking a fair bit of oil - it left a trail when I moved it (it's out of sight behind the door). It might be coming off the road for the winter. It has a fuel tank leak and a really bad exhaust leak so I need to pull it apart and fix stuff.

GSA still feels much better on those new tyres. Might be time to swap for the 2CV though.

• dollywobbler changed the title to Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread - Incoming from the Field of Dreams...
1 minute ago, dollywobbler said:

Um, oops?

Yes, an escapee from the field of dreams! I got very doom and gloom about the condition, but Oltcit folk have already been in touch with offers of parts and information, so let's hope this one can return to the field under its own power one day!

Oh god, you do love a project. 

I seem to remember that you were thinking of learning to weld when the Tercel came about last year. Maybe it's a good place to start! 

It's really clean looking inside however, very Citroen. 

2 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Um, oops?

Yes, an escapee from the field of dreams! I got very doom and gloom about the condition, but Oltcit folk have already been in touch with offers of parts and information, so let's hope this one can return to the field under its own power one day!

I legitimately went "fucking hell!" when I saw you got an oltcit, and that was before I realised it was the resident FoD one :)

@Six-cylinder letting go of a car, man 2020 is strange!

I do look forward to seeing how you get on with it, I do like a Citroen Visa and Co, and I do hope it can be recommissioned rather then broken for spares

9 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. I really want to save it. I've adored these cars for a long time.

here we go knew I had a picture of it somewhere, TWC is not the first Invacar this Oltcit has rubbed shoulders with! (unless TWC visited this section during her visit to the FoD? its VERY bumpy in an invacar thats for sure LOL)

image.png