Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Being positive, that, "spare" abs block and controller you found in the boot has resolved the problem, but for some reason the Rover needs more than a drive cycle to put the light out.  If you were pessimistic, you would think the Rover has suffered from BMW crossover issues and the abs system needs properly checked and the real culprit found.

Other cars today. 2CV out for a run. Went inland for a bit, it pissed it down muchly, so I drove to Cwmtydu instead. Very pleasant.

EjPjjqfXcAE0_Qg?format=jpg&name=small 

Weather was so nice that I decided to dig out the Invacar as well.

120700457_10158924097353200_221568755539

Sadly, a binding nearside rear brake stopped me hurtling too far, but she sounded splendid. Must find some time to actually refit the window and try to find the source of the engine oil leaks.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, dollywobbler said:

These don't run MEMS. I do plan some performance upgrades, but I think an MOT is a bigger priority. Need to find out why the ABS light is on.

I learnt something there. I never gave it a thought I expect  BMW.

Used the 75 for a weekend away with the family. Bit late reporting because I've had a cold since the second day of the holiday. Bloody marvellous!

We headed up to Gwynedd, and the Rover ate the miles in a most delicious manner, though the news isn't all good.

Firstly, despite being a huge car, the accommodation is appalling. Inside, I'm not sure there's much more space than my old 45 saloon, and I'm not sure it has that much more boot space either - it's all awkward shapes and fills up in no time. By the time we had the kids, dog (thankfully tiny) and schoolbags and a trumpet on board, it was very cosy.

Secondly, it is dog slow. Ridiculously smooth, but slow. While the MAF removal means it pulls much better at lower revs, the overall vibe is very much of non-turbo XUD, which doesn't seem right for a modern-ish turbo diesel. It just never picks up. It is very relaxing though, as it'll pull 15mph in fourth. Currently up to about 550 miles since the last fill at Tebay - I did plan to fill it up on the way back, but then realised the key for the fuel flap (no remote release!) was in my backpack, which was about the first thing that went into the boot that morning. Sod. That.

Still just over quarter of a tank, or the 75 danger zone.  Sluggishness might just be because it's only 115bhp in a huge lump of very well laden motor car.

It's a superb car when you're full of cold and just want to be home. Air con works, and it just whispers along. I have absolutely no desire to thrash it. It is a modern W123 Mercedes.

Taking it in for an ECU quiz and welding quote later in the week, so I can start seeing about getting an MOT on it.

They are not a fast car as standard.  Even with the Roverron box mine isn't what you'd call quick, although it is an auto which doesn't help.  The engine also has a very linear power delivery which makes it feel more gutless than it is - an L-series feels punchier even though it's down on power.

They are definitely not the best packaged car.  Rear legroom is particularly shite - I had to move my seat forward when my mum sat in the back of mine and she's only 5'4".

Didn't realise you'd taken up the trumpet...

Mine (also a cdt) went better with a new pierburg maf, and then a Ron box up to max on both settings. My next step was to have an MG ROVER bod give it 160bhp on their laptop. Sadly the clutch hydraulics became incontinent before this happened. I then did a BMW, deciding someone else should deal with the English patient and sold it on for a quid or something.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Mine (also a cdt) went better with a new pierburg maf, and then a Ron box up to max on both settings. My next step was to have an MG ROVER bod give it 160bhp on their laptop. Sadly the clutch hydraulics became incontinent before this happened. I then did a BMW, deciding someone else should deal with the English patient and sold it on for a quid or something.

Disconnecting the MAF certainly improved matters, but not sure I can really justify the expense of a new one.

Just caught the 525e video, brings back memories of my 528i (E28) I miss that car! This is going to sound pretty dumb but when you were rooting in the boot looking for the spare, I found myself  talking to the tv  " the spare wheel is under the carpet on your left Ian!"

Anyway great video, really enjoyed it and yes I think the steering wheel adjustment was jammed which would partly explain why you couldn't see the dials. 

Took the Rover to my trusted garage for a bit of an assessment.

EjzutleXcAAVi7m?format=jpg&name=small

1. The ABS light is on because the nearside front sensor is duff. Should be an easy fix.

2. The offside rear slow puncture was due to a dodgy valve. Fixed.

3. The nearside sill is rotten at both ends - accident damage hasn't helped at the back, but I suspect the rot was already there. New sill is £48 on the bay, so ordered.

4. Generally, it seems in good nick and the suspension arms are not as rotten as they could be.

5. For some reason, the car is now running much better. No tweaks done, in fact no work that could affect this. I did hoof it a fair bit on the way in - it was struggling to reach 4000rpm and generally feeling strangled. On the way back, it felt much perkier, and there is now something approaching turbo boost. Most odd.

diesels need good runs to clear all of that anti smoking gubbins they  have to be saddled with.

Maybe the previous owner(s) never let it stretch it's legs. It sounds as if you  certainly are. Maybe that is why it is running better

I found the EGR valve wasn’t operating properly on mine and removing that from the equation also made a big difference to smooth running and performance and part throttle smoking. The stat was also duff (not performance related as such) so popped a Renault 5 one in top hose after reading about how and where I might find the OEM one in the bowels of the engine bay.

It was fun to fix but basically I unwittingly bought one where all the “typical” r75 foibles were needing Attention.

I know some people dismiss it as snake oil but I've ran Diptane (Irish fuel additive, quite popular at home) for a few tanks when I've bought an old diesel. They don't market themselves as being an aggressive injector cleaner. https://www.dipetane.com/faq/

I've felt a difference, it may be placebo but when I bought an old HDi Citroen it was certainly perkier after a few tune up drives. 

Could be entirely in my head however. 

I'm really not sure what this was. I reckon it's just blown some crap out of somewhere. The engine now has a harder edge to it, that cackle of the modern common rail that just wasn't there before. It was driving entirely like an XUD non-turbo in fact. Now, while 115bhp is never going to be that sprightly, it at least feels like every horse is there.

Today, I need to drive to Warwickshire. So yesterday, I broke the Rover.

1620208704_Roverimage.thumb.jpg.7026e42ae5d6079c198916caab6c1b8d.jpg

EGR valve clean-out. Not a bad job, if rather messy. But, one thing that hastens the muck is a failed PCV breather, so I set about changing that too. At which point I snapped off one of the fuel return T-pieces on the top of an injector. ARSE. Thankfully, I'd had the foresight to push the Fox out into the rain so I could at least get back home again, where I jumped into the GSA to drive 36 miles to buy four new T-pieces (at £3.50 for the four). Rural life! The Fox was spluttering a bit, the GSA more so - dirt in the carb I reckon on the latter. Seemed better after an Italiano throttle abuse and a dose of redex. May have to have a look in the carb though.

I did actually try fixing the broken t-piece before that, by trying to weld it back together with a soldering iron and a cable tie as a filler rod. It did work, but sadly just snapped off again when trying to refit.

11 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

Quick question: did you get the answer for the Lada Riva thing on Facefeck?

Sort of. 

In other news, the Rover made it to The Midlands, but is still sluggish. Which means it's still quicker than the rest of my fleet. I wonder if the exhaust has got clogged. Apparently that can happen.

54 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Sort of. 

In other news, the Rover made it to The Midlands, but is still sluggish. Which means it's still quicker than the rest of my fleet. I wonder if the exhaust has got clogged. Apparently that can happen.

Is it fitted with a DPF? Might be worth asking a garage to force a regen if it is, or have a go at jet washing it out if you have the facilities. I believe Floatylight did the latter on one of his fleet.