Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

16 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I drove to Edinburgh and swapped the Vectra for something else.

IMG_20200923_173549.thumb.jpg.d0819128d76176c237099ec032fddcc2.jpg

After 360 miles in the Vectra, my back was in tatters. The Rover is a lot more comfortable, though not perfect. I find the seat base just isn't at the right angle. It is a diesel club. It is a lot better than the Vectra in many ways though. 

Apart from the very short MOT. And the non working cooling fans. And the fact the key was in pieces and it had to be started with pliers. And the fact the passenger side sill has collision damage and rot. And the fact quite a lot of the front end plastics are in the boot. Oh and the clutch is horribly heavy.

But the air con works, it whispers along at motorway speeds and doesn't bounce like a deranged donkey if you hit a bump. I think I like it.

Oh Yeah! a Rover 75 FTW :) 

definitely a fan of them (probably because they featured quite prominently in the game The Getaway, that I played a lot of as a kid on the ol playstation 2) so pleased to see you got one

love the dash at night in them too, the lovely warm glow of the dials

Nice! In the vectra vs 75 debate I have a bit of a soft spot for both. 75 if pushed. 

I had a very heavy clutch in my old 75 diesel. I bled the clutch master (mounted inside the car up in the footwell beside the pedal box) this made it much lighter, for about a week and then it started getting heavier and also not fully disengaging. I think I Sold it shortly after and never did investigate further.

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Right time of year for it to turn up given the 75 has one of the nicest dashboards to see in the dark ever in my opinion.  The warm amber glow of the instruments in the dark is just lovely.

I love the interior on a 75 but were I to change a detail it would be the instrumentation. I think a sort of low key smiths inspired white on black would have looked great and stopped it looking a bit as @alcyonecorporation put so well, Trafford centre.

3 hours ago, HMC said:

I love the interior on a 75 but were I to change a detail it would be the instrumentation. I think a sort of low key smiths inspired white on black would have looked great and stopped it looking a bit as @alcyonecorporation put so well, Trafford centre.

I adore the gauges. So relaxing to look at.

I did have a gold CDT tourer some years ago, acquired from Minimad5. It felt more tired than this one, and a crunchy third gear synchromesh left me feeling I wasn't quite ready for the pipe and slippers lifestyle. I feel ready now.

Just now, dollywobbler said:

I adore the gauges. So relaxing to look at.

I did have a gold CDT tourer some years ago, acquired from Minimad5. It felt more tired than this one, and a crunchy third gear synchromesh left me feeling I wasn't quite ready for the pipe and slippers lifestyle. I feel ready now.

Just realised that my previous one started the whole 'Dashboard at night' thread I think!

I’m halfway through the Rover 75 Scotland to Wales video and have had to take time out to regain my composure!  Buying diesel at Tebay Servies?!  Have your numbers come up on the lotto or something?!  It must be £1.35 there or something daft.  (Was there myself on Wednesday evening).

Next time, Jct 44, A7 to Carlisle, BP in front of you after half a mile.  If you’re really miserly like me, right at those lights and Asda is half a mile from there.

Loving the 75 however.  So much better than a Vectra!

11 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

I’m halfway through the Rover 75 Scotland to Wales video and have had to take time out to regain my composure!  Buying diesel at Tebay Servies?!  Have your numbers come up on the lotto or something?!  It must be £1.35 there or something daft.  (Was there myself on Wednesday evening).

Next time, Jct 44, A7 to Carlisle, BP in front of you after half a mile.  If you’re really miserly like me, right at those lights and Asda is half a mile from there.

Loving the 75 however.  So much better than a Vectra!

Ignore Jct 44, use Jct 43. Head towards Carlisle. 1/4 mile to a set of traffic lights and Tesco is on the right. You even have a priority lane coming back out at the lights to return to the motorway. No cheaper petrol in the area.

Have to admit that I've never really worried about the price of motorway fuel.  It's very unlikely I'll need to fill up there more than once during a trip, and if it costs me a few quid more, so be it.  Trying to find a fuel station in an area I'm unfamiliar with is stressful enough (especially if it's near rush hour) that I'll just pay for the convenience.

If I was travelling on the motorway daily that would be different...but for half a dozen trips a year it's just not worth worrying about for me.

51 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Have to admit that I've never really worried about the price of motorway fuel.  It's very unlikely I'll need to fill up there more than once during a trip, and if it costs me a few quid more, so be it.  Trying to find a fuel station in an area I'm unfamiliar with is stressful enough (especially if it's near rush hour) that I'll just pay for the convenience.

If I was travelling on the motorway daily that would be different...but for half a dozen trips a year it's just not worth worrying about for me.

As above. Last trip to Hexham from home was 300 miles plus. A few pence on a litre was least of my worries

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Trying to find a fuel station in an area I'm unfamiliar with is stressful enough (especially if it's near rush hour) that I'll just pay for the convenience.

WAZE has a superb function built into it.  It knows (via the community) what the prices are at fuel stations and what hours they are open.  if you're running a little low on fuel during a journey, you can ask it to find stations along your route, which it then presents to you based on cost (for your chosen fuel), distance from you, and number of minutes diversion from your intended route.  It will of course then guide you both to said station, and back on to your route without any further intervention.

You can also get it to just give you stations near you (not necessarily along your journey) so if you're desperately low you can find the very nearest one.  Saved me a couple of times.

It tells you when the prices were last updated, so you know if they are likely to be accurate.  You also get the opportunity (optional) while you're at the station to update the prices held.  (which I always do, as it's been so helpful to me)

it is, quite frankly, brilliant.  I've used it many many times and probably saved several hundred quid by using a Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda that is <2 mins off my intended route rather than a motorway services.  The difference between a full tank between ASDA and a motorway BP station might be 20p/litre, which is £14 on a tankful.  That's one, possibly two Roffle entries.  Or do it 4 times in a year and you've saved the cost of the MOT.

Yeah, I use Waze, but heading off-piste doesn't always work. I generally avoid motorway fills because the pricing is shite, but sometimes, I will opt for convenience. In this case, I was already at Tebay and I hope they get a good take on that high price, because I like what they do.

Moving on, first family duty for the Rover yesterday and it was well-received by the family. It feels very sluggish though. Need to disconnect the MAF and see if that improves things.IMG_20200929_163909.thumb.jpg.a98a0d577cd92b89134e37a13072bdbf.jpgIMG_20200929_193007.thumb.jpg.b2472170f606e871e471a58461af8bc2.jpg

18 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Can confirm, it's hugely improved low-speed lugging, and feels a little more brisk generally.

You may need to go further.

https://rovermems.com/

https://groups.google.com/g/mems-diagnostics

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovermemsfull&hl=en

It is all way over my head.

41 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

These don't run MEMS. I do plan some performance upgrades, but I think an MOT is a bigger priority. Need to find out why the ABS light is on.