Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Sadly I don't think I'm going to make it to that. GSA seems to have a gearbox oil leak. 

Also still very busy trying to sort my shizzle out. I think I'm starting to make progress. Might actually be able to start fixing cars again! The 2CV would be far better with working wipers.

EgwRz-FXkAcMD5N?format=jpg&name=small

Still need to do another round or two of sorting and stacking, as I can't get the Fox in at the moment. Matiz is now behind the Invacar. Progress though. My back is in absolute tatters.

51 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Sadly I don't think I'm going to make it to that. GSA seems to have a gearbox oil leak. 

Also still very busy trying to sort my shizzle out. I think I'm starting to make progress. Might actually be able to start fixing cars again! The 2CV would be far better with working wipers.

EgwRz-FXkAcMD5N?format=jpg&name=small

Still need to do another round or two of sorting and stacking, as I can't get the Fox in at the moment. Matiz is now behind the Invacar. Progress though. My back is in absolute tatters.

What's the craic with the tyres at the back? Won't they need to be removed at some point?

4 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Sorry, they probably arrived with the blue estate as I was given about 9 with the white one ?

That's worrying. I wonder where the other six are?!

3 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

What's the craic with the tyres at the back? Won't they need to be removed at some point?

Probably. Not sure how useful that rack is for me though, so may just leave them for 'ambience.'

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Probably. Not sure how useful that rack is for me though, so may just leave them for 'ambience.'

I was wondering more for all the tat you've lovingly placed near there that would need to be moved to get them out.

Would be a good place to hold large items you hardly use though. Or fill with hay and get your inevitable side kick, given the agricultural setting - The HubNut Donkey*

*trademark pending

• 2 weeks later...

funnily enough I dont normally watch these member vlog videos but decided to watch this one because my Invacar-spidey senses where tingling, looks like they where not wrong LOL

image.thumb.png.2c3e31f7d9f04852e3cac41d75a627e6.png

I actually posted about WVW272S way back in April of last year (on my own thread), not a known survivor sadly but it was one of the few that survived until the end of the IVS scheme and so who's chassis Number I could pull with my then limited tools

so its neat to see a picture of it :) 

Cool. Thought it might be up your street. ;-) So wish I'd thought to take pictures of them when I was younger. 

In other news, 2CV is back.

EiIPlW0XgAkRY3B?format=jpg&name=small

What a transformation. Sparrow Automotive has fettled it into a great state! They sorted the oil cooler leak, cleaned up the brakes and with that done could then set about tuning it up properly. I knew the carb jetting was a mess, but it turns out there was a slight induction leak as well. Pete spent ages trying to get the carb to work properly,even modifying an emulsion tube in the end. 

The result is an engine that pulls really well, from far lower down the rev range. I can do 30mph in fourth, comfortably! There is an odd vibration that he wasn't able to get to the bottom of. He was initially worried it was bottom end, but he has given me another crossbox to try, in case something odd is going on there. That sounds preferable to a knackered bottom end, which was his first suspicion.

Still lots to do with the 2CV. It's due a service, needs a repaired wiper linkage fitting, needs the headlamp switch replacing and then the bodywork needs some attention for rot is trying to creep in. Oh and Pete reckons I should start building up a replacement engine with a few more goodies. Power, Less is More. Maybe...

50 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Cool. Thought it might be up your street. ;-) So wish I'd thought to take pictures of them when I was younger. 

In other news, 2CV is back.

EiIPlW0XgAkRY3B?format=jpg&name=small

What a transformation. Sparrow Automotive has fettled it into a great state! They sorted the oil cooler leak, cleaned up the brakes and with that done could then set about tuning it up properly. I knew the carb jetting was a mess, but it turns out there was a slight induction leak as well. Pete spent ages trying to get the carb to work properly,even modifying an emulsion tube in the end. 

The result is an engine that pulls really well, from far lower down the rev range. I can do 30mph in fourth, comfortably! There is an odd vibration that he wasn't able to get to the bottom of. He was initially worried it was bottom end, but he has given me another crossbox to try, in case something odd is going on there. That sounds preferable to a knackered bottom end, which was his first suspicion.

Still lots to do with the 2CV. It's due a service, needs a repaired wiper linkage fitting, needs the headlamp switch replacing and then the bodywork needs some attention for rot is trying to creep in. Oh and Pete reckons I should start building up a replacement engine with a few more goodies. Power, Less is More. Maybe...

keep her 652  but rebuild it

wish I had a picture of the one that was literally up my street!, admittedly I was about 3 at the time! "mum why does that car only have 3 wheels?" "because its a car built for disabled people" (as such for the longest of time I thought ALL 3 wheelers where disability cars! and had it in my head that somehow by having only 3 wheels it somehow allowed for easier wheel chair access, but that was just the Model 70's wide sliding doors!)

Oh and Pete reckons I should start building up a replacement engine with a few more goodies. Power, Less is More. Maybe...

has anyone ever fitted a Steyr puch flat twin to a 2CV I wonder?

Just now, dollywobbler said:

I must admit I'd been contemplating whether a 2CV engine could power an Invacar...

are your spare 2CV engines really any better then whats in TWC already tho? LOL

(and does a 2CV engine produce peak torque at 3500RPM? as thats what the CVT system is tuned to keep the rev's at as the peak torque of the Model 70's 493cc Steyr puch is produced at 3500RPM, all 22 foot pounds of it...)

besides I got in contact with a Stey puch engine guy in austria (as he had a Model 70) and the first thing he did was try and sell me a super charger kit, then mention the twin turbo kit he is building/working on, I can always put you in contact with him if you need to give TWC an ol kick up the arse! LOL

or just watch his video on how to enlarge a Steyr puch engine to 762cc LOL 

In other aircooled boxer news, I went to Devon this weekend.

EiX1Ew4WkAABLU4?format=jpg&name=small

The GSA was mightily impressive, sitting at an indicated 120kmh very happily. Though it did drink a slightly alarming amount of oil over the 550 odd miles - it actually went below the minimum because some idiot didn't think to check it until he was within 50 miles of home...

It's doing 3700rpm at such speeds, but is turbine smooth. Enough fresh air through the vents that you don't need to open windows. Nice.

I drove to Edinburgh and swapped the Vectra for something else.

IMG_20200923_173549.thumb.jpg.d0819128d76176c237099ec032fddcc2.jpg

After 360 miles in the Vectra, my back was in tatters. The Rover is a lot more comfortable, though not perfect. I find the seat base just isn't at the right angle. It is a diesel club. It is a lot better than the Vectra in many ways though. 

Apart from the very short MOT. And the non working cooling fans. And the fact the key was in pieces and it had to be started with pliers. And the fact the passenger side sill has collision damage and rot. And the fact quite a lot of the front end plastics are in the boot. Oh and the clutch is horribly heavy.

But the air con works, it whispers along at motorway speeds and doesn't bounce like a deranged donkey if you hit a bump. I think I like it.

The 75 is one of the late model Rovers I really like - comfy, spacious and relatively refined. My brother had a 2.0 Connoisseur auto which was a really good steer until it kettled. I think you’ve done a good swap here. I like that particular shape Vectra you had though.

I also liked the V8 version I drove a few times when I worked at Brands Hatch - bit crude but could have some fun with it

I liked the Vectra but much prefer the 75. I like my Vauxhalls but the long distance seat comfort was never great, and I don't suffer from back pain often. 

The clutch can vary on them all, both my manual diesels clutch pedals were heavy and the gear change was a bit agricultural, rather like driving a truck. It's probably just a bit tired, hopefully you'll get used to it!

The seat should have a good adjustment range being a Club, lumbar support should be there. I can't remember if my base model Classic had it but it was still comfy.

Seems from your video that you have one with complete rear springs too as you say it rides well. A choppy rear ride will result if the ends have broken off, hidden from the MOT man.

Enjoy!