Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

the MK3 mondeo has the best air con i have ever experienced in any car

i've found the mondeo to be much more comfortable than the vectra with very nice seats

but yes the diesels are quite terrible, always see them with huge clouds of black smoke coming out the back

Unit here.

Thanks folks. It isn't quite as massive as it looks - I reckon six cars and a bit of space to tinker, which makes it slightly better than the old one. Much better lighting though, and better ventilation. Last place basically had none, apart from a gap beneath the doors that allowed water and leaf litter to blow in...

Electricity should certainly be in before my 'official' move-in date of 1st Sept. Water hopefully not long after, but I do at least have access to an outside tap. That'll do. There is also access to an actual toilet.

GSA moved in today.

Ef3lFfPWoAAD_SL?format=jpg&name=small

Wasn't planning on it, but given how bloody horrific the weather has got, I thought it might be prudent. Sure enough, on start up this morning, water began pouring over my feet, so I think keeping this one under cover for a while might not be a bad move. Yes, that is a bean bag. I seem to have inherited a 'gaming chair' which offers surprising comfort.

Don't get too comfy those tyres have to be gone from the rank. That ain't gonner be easy for the previous occupier. You may need to do more shuffling to give them space.

Is not going to be a bit cold during the winter with those open sides?

People seem convinced I'm going to freeze to death, but the old garage of many a video would readily drop below 10 degrees during the winter and I notably didn't die. Ventilation is a good thing!

I'm a fair few hundred feet closer to sea level now so that should improve matters too.

Cars are not settled in, regarding the tyre rack. Electrician due at some point. 

10 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

People seem convinced I'm going to freeze to death, but the old garage of many a video would readily drop below 10 degrees during the winter and I notably didn't die. Ventilation is a good thing!

I'm a fair few hundred feet closer to sea level now so that should improve matters too.

Cars are not settled in, regarding the tyre rack. Electrician due at some point. 

10 degrees?

Thats T-shirt and shorts weather. This is my island in the sun etc

Yesterday, WorldofCeri almost transported my cars for me. FPB7 was actually at the helm as Ceri was having one of those holiday things.

EgWLbTaWAAALrq7?format=jpg&name=small

Fox drove over, while the Sana and Matiz got trailered. Took all day somehow, but we got there in the end.

Looks pretty crowded at the barn now!

EgboWqoU0AkBc9a?format=jpg&name=small

The eagle-eyed may notice that the 2CV looks unusually wet, and the wipers a bit odd. That's because this happened this morning.

EgbWM__XkAAsjdV?format=jpg&name=small

Linkage jammed due to wear. Something I knew it was likely to do. However, you can usually flick it back into place and carry on. Not today! Jammed entirely. I had the foresight to pull the wires off the back of the switch as soon as it happened, so it didn't try causing a fire or blowing a fuse. Took the passenger arm off and drove back with that being held out through the window to occasionally wipe. A job for another day. I may have a complete spare linkage ready to go. The original is in similarly knackered condition...

26 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Looks pretty crowded at the barn now!

yes it is, and that's before the addition of all your personal effects? I guess you can create more tinkering space by keeping another one at home on rotation - so you only have 5 'in store'?

3 hours ago, egg said:

yes it is, and that's before the addition of all your personal effects? I guess you can create more tinkering space by keeping another one at home on rotation - so you only have 5 'in store'?

That's the plan, and indeed, the GSA is back home. But I may yet be adding to the fleet before the year is out...

Can you get something small in front of the GSA, to give some more space elsewhere in the unit for whichever car needs a job doing that requires a reasonable amount of space? Though that might lead to lots of shuffling. 

As for the door, could use it as a backboard for mounting stuff to - tools/shelves/whiteboard or whatnot. 

Serious envy though, no chance of getting anything like that inside the M25! 

Having had sales yards much too small  for the stock, you should measure up the place properly and try the different permutations of cars on a piece of paper.  Much easier than lugging cars about and less of a face palm when you realise you now have to move three to get one out.  I'd guess from the pictures that after you get rid of that door and the manger, racking down the left hand side for storage with your tools/work area at the front might work and even consider the smaller stuff at the back going in diagonally.

Most important thing.  As you are doing a move, now is the time to realise 50% of your stuff needs selling/binning and you'll be astonished how much clutter you had.

11 hours ago, colino said:

Having had sales yards much too small  for the stock, you should measure up the place properly and try the different permutations of cars on a piece of paper.  Much easier than lugging cars about and less of a face palm when you realise you now have to move three to get one out.  I'd guess from the pictures that after you get rid of that door and the manger, racking down the left hand side for storage with your tools/work area at the front might work and even consider the smaller stuff at the back going in diagonally.

Most important thing.  As you are doing a move, now is the time to realise 50% of your stuff needs selling/binning and you'll be astonished how much clutter you had.

Useful info. Cheers. I certainly do need to reduce the amount of crap I have! I must have a proper clearout. I've got old magazines, parts for cars I no longer own, entirely ruined engines and a lot more garage equipment than I'll ever use. Getting rid of stuff is never as easy as you hope though. Especially when getting into an actual tip is such a pain.

I just watched your mailbag video from a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased to see you got that Yellow Pages sticker. It’s a reference to this advert (and associated campaign) that ran in the early 90s.

Would it be possible to get a scan of the sticker? I’d love to get some reproduced for my cars.