Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

13 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Quick question for you, DW.

What is the setup you use for in-car video.  In particular your most recent one where you had TWC out?

I've been reading my hair out trying to get anything even vaguely resembling stable footage...despite having tried a plethora of different mounts.

The only one which seems to work reasonably well is the one with the Not-Actually-A-Go-Pro, but while the video is decent on that the audio is pants and it doesn't have a separate mic input.  I'd *really* rather not have to faff around dubbing audio into video from a separate source as ensuring everything was perfectly in sync sounds like it's going to be a massive post processing headache.

These days, I'm using a DJI Osmo Action Camera. Sadly, you need a DJI-only adaptor which is about £40 but it then takes any external mic. I use a Rode lapel mic. Camera uses digital stabilisation, which also gives the effect of making it look like the camera is being hand-held. I quite like that.

7 hours ago, AdeMk1 said:

@dollywobbler does this look like it would fit the Vectra?

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/212gm0059?auto_apply_coupon=SHOP60&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvseL47mK6wIVj7LVCh12fQWZEAQYDyABEgISAPD_BwE

Could be a better solution to the blowing exhaust and its cheap!

That hasn't got the cat in it. There is no joint between manifold joint and cat on mine. Well, not until I cut the pipe...

12 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

These days, I'm using a DJI Osmo Action Camera. Sadly, you need a DJI-only adaptor which is about £40 but it then takes any external mic. I use a Rode lapel mic. Camera uses digital stabilisation, which also gives the effect of making it look like the camera is being hand-held. I quite like that.

Cheers for taking the time to reply.  Kind of what I expected really, looks like I'd really need to be investing quite a bit of dosh in a dedicated camera for the job.  Think we'll just have to make do as best we can and applying stabilisation in post then.

I know that for use in a vehicle you basically need the stabilisation to be done digitally as physical optical systems can't usually handle the rapid directional changes involved. 

I'll experiment a bit with adding some extra weight to the camera to see if we can damp out some of the higher frequency vibrations a bit, I reckon lack of mass is actually one of the problems I'm having.

My mobile footage inside an Invacar was always very shaky. A tough test for any camera!

Talking of Invacar, I harboured a brave plan to drive the Invacar across to my new unit tomorrow, but unfortunately, that plan requires me to catch a bus. And it takes four bloody hours to do a 90 minute journey. Can't quite face that, so I suspect the Vectra will be acting as a van to get the first load of my crap moved. I have hired a van next weekend so I can shift the heavy shelving units, trolley jacks etc. Don't think the Invacar will fit in it sadly...

The logistics of this move are causing me some headaches. I don't have a tow car but maybe I can hire a van and trailer.

Sadly, my girlfriend can't drive, but I'm planning to work on that...

11 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

My mobile footage inside an Invacar was always very shaky. A tough test for any camera!

Talking of Invacar, I harboured a brave plan to drive the Invacar across to my new unit tomorrow, but unfortunately, that plan requires me to catch a bus. And it takes four bloody hours to do a 90 minute journey. Can't quite face that, so I suspect the Vectra will be acting as a van to get the first load of my crap moved. I have hired a van next weekend so I can shift the heavy shelving units, trolley jacks etc. Don't think the Invacar will fit in it sadly...

The logistics of this move are causing me some headaches. I don't have a tow car but maybe I can hire a van and trailer.

Sadly, my girlfriend can't drive, but I'm planning to work on that...

good luck for the new unit Ian  , i am a new member to this  forum 

Drove the Vectra to the unit. The check engine light came on, which was presumably due to the exhaust leak. Jumped in the Invacar and drove it to the new unit in sunshine, fog, rain, thunder, gales and even hail at one point. With no side window. It was as exciting as I expected - so much rain that the CVT kept slipping. A few interesting moments along the way, video to follow.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

blimey thats one hell of a drive/video! (even the thumbnail image is something)

bloody well done TWC and @dollywobbler :) 

for future reference or to remake the missing labels!

Top control is heater

middle control is demister

and the bottom one is the choke!

image.thumb.png.f564bf5934e0e8a0b7cd63ba600601e3.png

(BTW in a similar vain, I recall TWC had an issue with slowly losing brake fluid somewhere, was that issue sorted or are you just toping it up regularly? (just figured with TWC back in use id remind you about it, incase you forget so you can go top up the reservoir/sort the issue, rather then find out you have no brakes at 60!)

23 minutes ago, dave j said:

Bloody hell that drive looked terrifying! The last part was more of an endurance than enjoyable. How are you going to get the other cars to the new unit? 

Not entirely sure at the moment. Turns out the new place isn't quite ready yet, so the Invacar is in another building. 2CV, Vectra and Fox are at least road legal - albeit the Fox needs insuring. May day insure that one. Sana and Matiz lack legality and need transporting.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Was I the only person shouting at the screen as to what you'd done?  Both when you put the choke on by mistake (stupid place for it!) and then again when you didn't turn the points assist box back on again after confirming it wasn't the problem?

Just me then.....

dont worry your not alone

well not at first I just sort of sighed/went "oh dear" as Dollywobbler put the choke on and then waited for the inevitable LOL, tho I did start getting a bit agitated when he started fiddling with bits in the engine bay but im glad he noticed it in the end, if he went to call for recovery/rescue thats probably when I would of started shouting at my screen LOL

and then yeah I had wondered the same "did you remember to put the points assist box back on?" 

@dollywobbler you missed a trick by not hanging your handbag off the choke lever for full effect... :mrgreen:

it was nice to see TWC get out and about, even if it got  a bit wet, I do wonder what other people on the road thought as they saw an Invacar (with no offside window) drive through flooding rain LOL

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Not entirely sure at the moment. Turns out the new place isn't quite ready yet, so the Invacar is in another building. 2CV, Vectra and Fox are at least road legal - albeit the Fox needs insuring. May day insure that one. Sana and Matiz lack legality and need transporting.

Could the Matiz not be driven to a pre-booked MOT at a convenient local garage?  Agree you might be pushing your luck attempting that with the Sana.

It's an option, but funds are a little tight at the moment after the Delica fiasco, and it might be better to just get it transported rather than have to insure it, MOT it and tax it.

Nipped up to the new unit today. I still can't move in, but got the Invacar out of temporary storage to try and dry her out a bit. She got through a lot of oil yesterday though, so I'm going to have to knock further adventures on the head until I can sort that out. I guess the ancient rubber seals are finally crying enough - as far as I know that engine was last used on the road in 1999...

As it happens, the only two shows I was considering were the Ormskirk Motor Festival (considerably downsized for this year) and the National MicroCar Rally (all but cancelled) so I'd better crack and and get her healthy again for 2021.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Sana and Matiz lack legality

Does the Sana not also lack the ability to even move under it's own power?

37 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

insure it, MOT it and tax it.

If you're driving to a pre-booked MOT, you'd only be looking at needing insurance (for only a few hours even).  And of course if you don't even make it to the MOT station, but your route takes you past your new unit and you decide it's best to pull in rather than risk a breakdown, you'll not even be paying for an MOT.  Depends how "accommodating" your MOT man might be as to whether he would book you in for an MOT and then you not turn up for it.  Bearing in mind that you could be taking it to drop off for said MOT the day beforehand, and then cancel with a day to spare.

Tax isn't even a consideration as it can only happen one you have an MOT.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Food for thought, but not sure being dubious is a good idea really.

On the other hand, I just found this amazing picture from the Retro Rides Weekender last year. Pushing hard!

62164650_1954154021357277_17348370457648 

I always forget how skinny the 12" tyres are until I see an angle like this!

If circumstances allow one day it would be interesting to see how much difference the wider rubber on the 10" wheels really makes.  I'm guessing they're so light that it's not actually as much as you'd think.

At least it sounds like circumstances might be giving you a good opportunity to make the decision to get some of the issues worked through.  Oil leaks really aren't something you want to take chances with on an air cooled engine.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Food for thought, but not sure being dubious is a good idea really.

On the other hand, I just found this amazing picture from the Retro Rides Weekender last year. Pushing hard!

62164650_1954154021357277_17348370457648 

That is a superb photo!

I see where you're coming from re keeping everything by the book - you have to be careful how far you push your luck when you have a reputation to maintain, and an audience ready and waiting to jump down your throat at the slightest misstep...

I enjoyed the Invacar vs Mother Nature.

I drove down to Carmarthen yesterday from Liverpool through mid Wales and the last 50 miles or so was quite eventful with thunder and lightening.  Same on the return leg.

I have a four car transporter if you need help moving to your new unit.  I’m a fair way away however.

@dollywobbler saw in the comment sections there was some discussion how the 2 stroke ones where fuelled 

it was simply 2 stroke premix like a Trabant or such, back then you could usually either get it directly from a special pump or a helpful attendant would help premix it for you :) 

(16:1 when running in for the first 500 miles, 20:1 otherwise IIRC)

There used to be premix pumps at most petrol stations in France when I lived there in the mid '90s.  There was a rotary knob to select the percentage of oil you wanted, then you put in a 5 franc coin and it would dispense a preset amount of fuel.  

I'd imagine they're mostly gone now as everyone is riding scooters with separate lubrication.